Mj Gross Engagment Ring Bought At Sams Club?

niswanger

Hey gang,

Came here to get some opinions.  Been married 17 years.  Recently wife lost her 1/3C diamond from her set (I was enlisted military at the time...even so, should have spent a little more money). 

What wasn't clear from the sales person was the cut, so I wasn't suprised when it came in that it was "Good".  Still thought, wife is VERY happy.  I just would like to know, was the deal fair?

Here's what I got at $3089 plus tax:

Thanks,

Roy

post-135018-0-39679800-1432332640_thumb.jpg

post-135018-0-58952100-1432332673_thumb.jpg

Edited by niswanger
  • Like 1

As Neil says, the deal is primarily not a financial one, and you did well in that respect.

Financially, I take it that the $3089 include the ring - if that's the case you didn't do badly there either; here's prices for similar (centre) diamonds from a few commercially aggressive internet-based vendors, and you'll see they bunch up around 2500-2800: http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=0.70&fCaratHi=0.74&fColorLo=H&fColorHi=H&fClarityLo=VVS2&fClarityHi=VVS2&fCutLo=good&fCutHi=good&fDepthLo=0.0&fDepthHi=100.0&fTableLo=0.0&fTableHi=100.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=none&fFlrHi=faint&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000000&fLabGIA=1&fLabAGS=1&adv=1

Add in at least $800 for the ring and setting labour, and you are there or thereabouts... from the right side (i.e. lower overall). More congratulations!

Incidentally: you took great pains in masking out the GIA report number - there is no way anyone can identify you/yours from that number or glean more information than you have posted; the only thing it does is to make it difficult for people to read the report.

ETA: throw away that IGI appraisal. It's not worth the plastic it's printed on, and the only thing it will do is to ensure you pay more than you need for any insurance you get on the item.

Edited by davidelevi