Pink Diamond

Shulina OY

Dear all,

I found a 0.9 carat pink diamond being sold at $5,519 USD. It comes with a GIA cert. The rest of the pink diamonds seem to cost so much more on the same site. Is this considered a very good buy? Would it look nice in a side stone micropave engagement ring?

Damond ShapeRound
Carat0.9 ct.
Diamond CutVery Good
ColorFaint Pink
IntensityFancy
ClaritySI2
Diamond Depth61.1%
Diamond Table65%
Diamond PolishExcellent
Diamond SymmetryGood
GirdleThin - Medium
Diamond Measurements3.78x6.15x6.23

post-134974-0-68123300-1431531156_thumb.png

HI Shulina,

have you seen this diamond in person?  the first questions that come to mind are whether the faint pink color is noticeable when the stone is face up - many faint pinks look like white stones. And how much of an impact does the SI2 have?  Is it eye visible?  the price is certainly on the lower end, but there must be a reason for this.  I am assuming the GIA grading report is not in question, but that is not maybe I should not make that assumption. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi,

This is the report: http://pics.zoara.net/images/products/certificate/5068577_round_pink_si2_certificate.jpg 

Sadly, I am not able to see it in person but  I have requested for more pictures. I am not keen on overly dark pink but do like a little faint pink even a shade lighter than what is shown in the pictures is fine with me but I am not sure what it looks like from the top. 

According to the vendor, the inclusions are not really visible by the naked eye and its more towards and SI1. 

Edited by Shulina OY

Thanks. I'll let others comment on it.

'Faint' runs the range from barely detectable under perfect lighting conditions to fairly prominent but, well, faint. Fancy colors are graded face up. It's a big range and it's hard to guess without seeing it. I'm going to guess this is why they chose a face down photo for the advertisement.

Edited by denverappraiser

Thanks. I'll let others comment on it.

'Faint' runs the range from barely detectable under perfect lighting conditions to fairly prominent. Fancy colors are graded face up. It's a big range and it's hard to guess without seeing it. I'm going to guess this is why they chose a face down photo for the advertisement.

I see. Well I have requested for more pictures. Hopefully they will be able to provide me more pictures. Although Im a little worried because I thought pink diamonds were really expensive. How much do such diamonds even at the faint range generally go for?

They are expensive, although it's more that the range is huge. They're hard to find too. That's the problem. Comps aren't out there so you don't have a lot of options if this is what you're looking for and if what you want is something visibly pink in that size, the price is going to go through the roof.

Here's the entire selection of faint pink from Liebish, one of the big dealers in these things. There's really nothing very close.

http://www.leibish.com/search?q=faint+pink

Damond ShapeRound

Carat0.9 ct.

Diamond CutVery Good

ColorFaint Pink

IntensityFancy

ClaritySI2

Diamond Depth61.1%

Diamond Table65%

Diamond PolishExcellent

Diamond SymmetryGood

GirdleThin - Medium

Diamond Measurements3.78x6.15x6.23

This should go for around 10K....The face up shot you provided is not a normal un-edited GIA faint pink.

• Like 1

it should look like this.... :rolleyes:

Haha where would I be able to find the one on the left? I like that shade of pink! =) I decided not to get the previous cause its just to dishonest to me.

I was just sent this:

SHAPE AND CUTTING STYLE: ROUND

MEASUREMENTS: 5.50X5.52X3.44

TOTAL CARAT WEIGHT: 0.64

COLOR: PINK

INTENSITY:FAINT

CLARITY: VVS2

CUT: NONE

POLISH: EXCELLENT

SYMMETRY: EXCELLENT

FLUORESCENCE:NONE

DEPTH: 62.5%

TABLE: 55%

How would I be able to tell the cut grade? Would it be shiny? Given something like this, am I better off with just a normal white diamond?

11151016_10206988732663612_5034953833766

Yes, it will be shiny - all diamonds are shiny, even rough, unpolished and very included ones.

No, there is no way for you to know what the cut would be like short of direct observation (or at least some proxy for it, like good still images, video or the word of a trusted dealer/expert seeing the stone in person); bear in mind that with coloured diamonds (and a faint pink, however faint, is a coloured diamond) the objectives of cut are different from what they are with D-Z stones - which is the reason why GIA does not grade cut on them (the grading cannot be systematised/standardised as much).

Whether you are better off with a "normal" diamond is a question only you can answer. A (near) colourless stone is certainly a lot easier to find and to select; on the other hand, it's far less unique.

Just to expand a bit on Davide's answer:

... bear in mind that with coloured diamonds (and a faint pink, however faint, is a coloured diamond) the objectives of cut are different from what they are with D-Z stones ...

In a white stone, the obsession with cut has to do with the desire to have a diamond that reflects the most amount of light back out through the crown.  One of the selling points of ideal cuts is that you can afford to purchase a stone with a slightly lower color because the cut more that compensates, making the stone look whiter that it actually is. The cut essentially masks the body color.  In colored diamonds you want exactly the opposite.  It would be a crime to take a gorgeous pink stone and cut it to maximize brilliance because that would effectively eliminate your ability to see the stone's color, at least from the top.  For this reason colored stones are usually cut deeper than white stones and you tend to find a greater number of fancy shaped colored stones than rounds.  Round cuts are the most brilliant so, here again, they really do not help accentuate a colored stone.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1