I Need Help!!!! Please

Schremp44

I am petrified.  I am about to drop a good portion of my lifes saving on a diamond ring for the love of my life.  I am scared to death that I am getting swindled; I don't mind dropping the money, i just want to make sure that I am not getting ripped off.

Here are the specs of what I have a "deal in principal" for:

2.10 Karat Cushion Cut (modified Brilliant), J in color, SI1 clarity, dimensions of 7.76x6.76x4.65 GIA certified

This stone is set in a micropave platinum setting which is a "tiffany novo" style ring.

The price agreed upon is $13,500.

Please help!! AM I GETTING MY MONEYS WORTH?!?! 

Take a deep breath. You're doing fine.

There's nothing about those specs that raises an alarm.

Here's comps for unset cushion GIA/2.1-2.2/J/SI1. The range is pretty big but $9-11k is about average for the center stone only from some fairly aggressive dealers.

http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=carat&sortDesc=0&fShape=Cush&fCaratLo=2.10&fCaratHi=2.20&fColorLo=J&fColorHi=J&fClarityLo=SI1&fClarityHi=SI1&fCutLo=&fCutHi=poor&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000&fLabGIA=1

Rings vary a lot depending on who made them and who's selling them. Those go anywhere from $1000- $2000 at most places. Tiffany want's double that because, well, they're Tiffany and you're not.

You didn't mention if you're shopping locally but sale taxes account for $500-1000 depending on your rate.

Add all of that up and you're about right for an aggressive dealer. You're probably not at the rock bottom but there are quite a few variables that we don't know. No, it's not a ripoff. Have you seen it? Do you love it? Have you compared it to others?

Edited by denverappraiser