Advice In Selecting 1 Out Of 2 Diamonds...

msthegreat

I need some advice in selecting a Diamond. Following are some details about the 2 Diamonds that I would like to consider buying...

1...H-VVS1 (5 Pinpoints) , 2.05 Ct., 8.18-8.20 x 4.97 mm, GIA - Ex/Ex/Ex, Fluorescence - Medium Blue, Table -58%, Depth - 60.7% Pavilion Angle - 40.8, Crown Angle - 33.5, Star - 45%, Lower Girdle - 75%, Girdle Thickness - 3.5% (Slightly Thick), HCA - 1.0 TIC Ex/Ex/Ex/VG, Price  - $23146

2...H-VS1 (7 very small Needles), 2.05 Ct., 8.26 - 8.31 x 4.97 mm, GIA - Ex/Ex/Ex, Fluorescence - None, Table -57%, Depth - 60%, Pavilion Angle - 41, Crown Angle - 32.5, Star - 50%, Lower Girdle - 80%, Girdle Thickness - 3% (Medium), HCA - 0.7 TIC Ex/Ex/Ex/Ex, Price  - $24,477

Which one you think would be the best deal?  Your guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Of those two, on paper I'd get the VVS1. Other than 0.08 mm diameter advantage (less than a human hair thickness), I see no reason to pick the VS1. Whether this is true in reality (or even just with more information) I don't know - just like I don't know whether either one is "the best deal" among the hundred of similarly graded stones available.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

You're dropping 2 clarity grades for losing a med blue fluro for a 0.08mm bigger face, a token improvement in the HCA and $1000 in cash. Does that sum it up?

May I ask how you narrowed it down to these two?

Edited by denverappraiser

I'm not a giant fan of the HCA but here's upwards of 5,000 stones that met those specs:

http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=2.00&fCaratHi=3.00&fColorLo=E&fColorHi=J&fClarityLo=IF&fClarityHi=SI1&fCutLo=exc&fCutHi=exc&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=25000&fLabGIA=1

By the way, according to HCA, all stones below 2 are tied.  A 1 is NOT better than a 2 and a 0.7 is not better than a 1.  The forum won't allow a link to them but you can look it up easily enough.

The reason I ask is that H/VV1 is actually a fairly unusual finalist on one of these internet style searches, even using HCA. 

Thank you very much for the list, denverappraiser!  Actually, I just went with everything looking good on paper and as I found a VVS1 within the range of $25000, I shortlisted it. 

Do you see anything wrong with it's specs like Table, Crown Angle, Pavillion Angle etc.?  Following are the specs again...

H-VVS1 (5 Pinpoints), 2.05 Ct., 8.18-8.20 x 4.97 mm, GIA - Ex/Ex/Ex, Fluorescence - Medium Blue, Table -58%, Depth - 60.7% Pavilion Angle - 40.8, Crown Angle - 33.5, Star - 45%, Lower Girdle - 75%, Girdle Thickness - 3.5% (Slightly Thick), HCA - 1.0 TIC Ex/Ex/Ex/VG

Thank you very much again!

It would be easier if you linked or provided the number of the GIA report, but in any case, no, there isn't anything wrong with it. I think Neil and I are however angling for the same thing, which is that there are plenty of stones that would look equally good or better and cost less - which in my vocabulary is what "better deal" is about.

Thank you very much for the list, denverappraiser!  Actually, I just went with everything looking good on paper and as I found a VVS1 within the range of $25000, I shortlisted it. 

Do you see anything wrong with it's specs like Table, Crown Angle, Pavillion Angle etc.?  Following are the specs again...

H-VVS1 (5 Pinpoints), 2.05 Ct., 8.18-8.20 x 4.97 mm, GIA - Ex/Ex/Ex, Fluorescence - Medium Blue, Table -58%, Depth - 60.7% Pavilion Angle - 40.8, Crown Angle - 33.5, Star - 45%, Lower Girdle - 75%, Girdle Thickness - 3.5% (Slightly Thick), HCA - 1.0 TIC Ex/Ex/Ex/VG

Thank you very much again!

No, I don't see anything wrong with those specs.

Thanks for both for your your reply, davidelevi & denverappraiser!

I actually got images for two of the diamonds that I have shortlisted online. 4 Images for Diamond #1 and 1 Real Image for Diamond #2. Details are as shown below...

Diamond # 1

Report: GIA

Year: October, 2014

GIA Inscription: Yes

Carat Weight: 2.05

Shape & Cutting Style: Round Brilliant

Measurements: 8.18 – 8.20 x 4.97 mm

Color Grade: H

Clarity Grade: VVS1

Clarity Characteristics: Pinpoints (5 in count)

Cut Grade: Excellent

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Excellent

Depth: 60.7 %

Table: 58 %

Crown Angle: 33.5°

Crown Height: 14.0 %

Pavilion Angle: 40.8°

Pavilion Depth: 43.0 %

Star length: 45 %

Lower Half: 75 %

Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick (Faceted) 3.5%

Culet: None

Fluorescence: Medium Blue

--------------------------------------------------------

HCA Score: 1.0 - Excellent, within TIC range

HCA Light Return: Excellent

HCA Fire: Excellent

HCA Scintillation: Excellent

HCA Spread: Very Good

Real Image:

http://s12.postimg.org/lb6wo4ufh/Diamond_1_Real_Image.jpg

ASET Image:

http://s3.postimg.org/5hgkjpa4j/Diamond_1_Aset_Image.jpg

Ideal Scope Image:

http://s6.postimg.org/nbbrtgrk1/Diamond_1_Ideal_Scope.jpg

Hearts:

http://s3.postimg.org/gywxb5q4j/Diamond_1_Hearts.jpg

Arrows:

http://s21.postimg.org/7y0gixspj/Diamond_1_Arrows.jpg

Diamond #2

Report: GIA

Year: October, 2012

GIA Inscription: No

Carat Weight: 2.03

Shape & Cutting Style: Round Brilliant

Measurements: 8.17 – 8.20 x 5.00 mm

Color Grade: H

Clarity Grade: VVS2

Clarity Characteristics: Pinpoints (4 in count), Cloud

Cut Grade: Excellent

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Excellent

Depth: 61.1 %

Table: 57 %

Crown Angle: 34°

Crown Height: 14.5 %

Pavilion Angle: 40.8°

Pavilion Depth: 43.0 %

Star length: 50 %

Lower Half: 80 %

Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick (Faceted) 3.5%

Culet: None

Fluorescence: Medium Blue

HCA Score: 1.0 - Excellent, within TIC range

HCA Light Return: Excellent

HCA Fire: Excellent

HCA Scintillation: Excellent

HCA Spread: Very Good

Real Image:

http://s7.postimg.org/69ggg9eaj/Diamond_2_Real_Image.jpg

Just to let you know that Diamond # 2 (H-VVS2 above) is costing $2400 more than Diamond #1 (H-VVS1). By looking at the images, is it worth to spend those extra $2400?

Edited by msthegreat
  • Like 1

"Worth" is a subjective assessment. Based on the comparable information provided (i.e. only the data - no ASET images for the second stone), I would not spend the extra money; other people may well.

FWIW, you need to link images with [ IMG ] tags, so they will display properly:

Diamond_1_Aset_Image.jpg

FWIW 2, the ASET image (above) has something wrong - at the least it has been taken incorrectly, since there is no blue...

Edited by davidelevi