Diamonds Narrowed Down Just Need To Make A Decision

Pat Egan

I am looking to get a cushion cut engagement ring with this setting

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/tapered-pave-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/13627

I have spoken with a representative from Ritani and have narrowed it down to a few diamonds. I would like to get your input as I am no diamond expert. 

They are:

https://www.ritani.com/diamonds/cushion-diamond-1-01-Carat-H-color-GIA-certified/D-9RMN0S

https://www.ritani.com/diamonds/cushion-diamond-0-99-Carat-I-color-GIA-certified/D-9QRSSW

https://www.ritani.com/diamonds/cushion-diamond-1-04-Carat-I-color-GIA-certified/D-M57WYB

They are slightly different shapes but that doesn't matter they are all squares with rounded corners. I want to make sure they are worth the price and which one is the best. How does the table and depth affect the diamond? Also, I heard florescence can make a diamond look cloudy do you see any issue with the 3rd diamond having some florescence? 

Thank you

Let's start from the one question that actually has a definite answer: faint fluorescence will have no effect on transparency (or indeed on anything else). Rest easy on that account.

Price-wise, you are possibly paying a premium for the Ritani name and the fact that they provide you with more information (e.g. photos and videos) than the typical internet-based vendor. However, all 3 are priced well within the range of similar stones on offer at other commercially aggressive vendors.

This said, price depends on cut, and there is no easy way of judging or grading cut on cushions other than by visual inspection; the fact that the two larger ones are priced around the average of similar stones makes me think they aren't fantastically cut (which seems to be confirmed by the videos/photos); the 0.99 may claim a slight premium because it's perfectly square, but again seems to be unexceptional in terms of cut quality from the video (all three seem to have a relatively dark centre; I don't like the broad table of the 0.99 and the cut pattern of the 1.04 - but these are all personal preferences).

Table and depth are largely irrelevant and certainly provide no basis for comparison; it's a bit like comparing cars based only on width and colour. Some may or may not fit into your garage or you may like or dislike a given colour, but it's not what matters.

Edited by davidelevi
  • Like 1

Thank you for your input I really appreciate it. I am confused on how I can determine if it is a good cut or not, from my reading I understand a certified cut as "good" or "very good" doesn't mean as much on a cushion, there is a lot of room for interpretation. At the same time is the cut going to be that noticeable (within reason) if the diamond is not looked at with 20X magnification?

I am willing to go up slightly in price if needed but I would like to stick around a carat. She wants something that will sparkle nicely when light hits it, she wants to avoid the dull and cloudy diamonds. You mentioned the center is dark which is something I noticed at certain angles and thought that was just the way they were, this could affect how light reflects so I will have to look into that more. 

Thank you for easing my mind on the table and depth. The other option I have considered is just ordering the setting from them since she really likes it and then getting the stone perhaps from somewhere local. I am not too far from Jewelers Row in Chicago. 

A 'certified cut' grade of good or very good on a cushion doesn't mean anything at all. GIA doesn't apply a grade. If you've got one, it came from the dealer. That's ok but it's up to them to explain it and there's nothing 'certified' about it.

Magnification has nothing to do with cutting.

• Like 1

You mentioned the center is dark which is something I noticed at certain angles and thought that was just the way they were, this could affect how light reflects so I will have to look into that more.

(my emphasis)

This IS how light reflects. A diamond does not generate light; it just reflects (and refracts) it. A dark centre is dark because the diamond is cut in a way that does not direct incoming light back into your eyes (or into the camera lens). BTW - you want some darkness and contrast in the centre... a totally homogeneous reflection of light is a smooth mirror - significantly less interesting to look at than a diamond

Edited by davidelevi
  • Like 1