Is It Worth The Upgrade?

*sparkles*

Hello everyone! :)

I just discovered this forum and was hoping to get some advice on an upgrade.

Current diamond:

1.5 J VVS2, GIA XXX

Fluorescence: Medium Blue

Measurements: 7.41 x 7.44 x 4.46

Table: 58%

Depth: 60.1%

Crown Angle: 34.0 (14.0%)

Pavilion Angle: 40.6% (42.5%)

Girdle: thin to medium faceted (3%)

Lower Girdle Halve length: 80%

Star Facet Length: 50%

Culet: None

Would be new diamond:

1.71 G VS2, GIA XXX

Fluorescence: Strong Blue

Measurements: 7.70 x 7.68 x 4.68

Table: 58%

Depth: 60.9%

Crown Angle: 34.0 (14.0%)

Pavilion Angle: 40.6% (43%)

Girdle: medium to slightly thick faceted (4%)

Lower Girdle Halve length: 80%

Star Facet Length: 50%

Culet: None

Cost to upgrade: $3500

Both are completely eye clean diamonds. I really like my diamond but ever since reading about Js I sort of look for the tint, maybe its a mind clean issue but what really attracted me to this diamond is that its such a similar cut to my diamond and the price difference between the two is only $3500.

I don't really care about the size difference that much because I am happy with 1.5ct but basically I am asking, how much of a color difference will I see between a G and J with almost identical cuts? If it is only a subtle difference then I would not want to spend $3500 extra (which is a significant amount of money for us at this point) for an upgrade that I would not really appreciate.

My last question is, is this a good enough deal to grab now and use my upgrade so early on or are there deals like this all the time in the diamond market? I'm just scared of waiting until later and not coming accross something similar, but maybe this is not an uncommon finding at all? Would I be better off waiting and upgrading for something whiter and maybe better cut (though I thought these cuts were pretty good? even though they are not really AGS0 Hearts and Arrows ideal cuts)

All in all I need advice! Please help! :blink:

Hi *sparkles*, welcome to Diamond Review!

I really like my diamond but ever since reading about Js I sort of look for the tint, maybe its a mind clean issue.

I suspect it is a "mind" issue... J-K is where I start to see tint without any particular technique, but I need to be consciously looking for colour.

I don't really care about the size difference that much because I am happy with 1.5ct but basically I am asking, how much of a color difference will I see between a G and J with almost identical cuts?

People vary in their sensitivity to colours. I would strongly recommend that you go out and see G (and H, and F) graded diamonds - bring your stone, and remember that colour perception changes with setting.

Can I see the difference between G and J? If the stones are loose and next to each other on their side, yes, easily. If they are both well cut, seen from the top, set and right next to each other, less easily. If they are not next to each other, but are well cut, set and only looking from the top... probably not, and this is the situation that one is in most of the time.

Go to a couple of jewellers, and look. You may be surprised by what you (do not) see.

My last question is, is this a good enough deal to grab now and use my upgrade so early on or are there deals like this all the time in the diamond market? I'm just scared of waiting until later and not coming across something similar, but maybe this is not an uncommon finding at all?

The deal is suspiciously good. Either you overpaid for your current stone, or I suspect there is something wrong with the G/VS2.

Here's a couple of hundred 1.50-1.55 J-VVS2 GIA Excellent cut no to med fluoro. http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=1.50&fCaratHi=1.55&fColorLo=J&fColorHi=J&fClarityLo=VVS2&fClarityHi=VVS2&fCutLo=exc&fCutHi=exc&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=none&fFlrHi=med&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000000&fLabGIA=1&fLabAGS=1&adv=1median price around $8700.

When I look at G-VS2 GIA Excellent with med+ fluoro, median price is around $13500... or $5000 more, not $3500. http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=1.70&fCaratHi=1.75&fColorLo=G&fColorHi=G&fClarityLo=VS2&fClarityHi=VS2&fCutLo=exc&fCutHi=exc&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=med&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000000&fLabGIA=1&adv=1

It's possible that you are getting a (relative) bargain, but unless you can see the other diamond, compare it to your current one (ideally) and have a few days (or a couple of weeks!) to make up your mind when you can return your upgrade for no penalty, I'd tread carefully.

Would I be better off waiting and upgrading for something whiter and maybe better cut (though I thought these cuts were pretty good? even though they are not really AGS0 Hearts and Arrows ideal cuts)

"Better off" is always a relative and personal decision. I would not be tempted, but I'm not you...

FWIW, there is not enough information on a GIA report to determine whether AGS would call either diamond "AGS 0" or whether either have H&A symmetry, but it's perfectly possible that both do.

• Like 1

Hi Davide :)

Thank you for your reply!

I thought the deal was suspiciously good too! I paid ~$8400 for my J and the G is being sold at $12000 (I hate turning down a good deal haha I am a bargain shopper). I have repeatedly asked about any negative effects of the strong blue fluorescence (I thought maybe that is why it would be discounted) but have been reassured that the stone is a great choice. That being said, I will not be able to see my diamond and this particular diamond side by side because in order to upgrade I have to send my diamond back. However, I have 30 days to decide whether I want to keep the new diamond or get my old one back (assuming it hasn't sold - they can only hold it for me for 2 days).

Some additional info is that my diamond is currently set in a pave setting with H VS2 sidestones and my wedding band will be pave G VS1 but both are extremely delicate 2mm bands with total carat weight 0.22-0.25. So I don't know if it's really a difference I would notice. The metal would be Platinum or Palladium.

Edited by *sparkles*

You're seeing a discount for the strong UV. I don't have a great problem with that either but it DOES affect the price.

Here's an example of a comp. GIA/G/VS2/xxx/sB for $11,915.00

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6754618-1.71-carat-Round-diamond-G-color-VS2-Clarity.aspx?sku=6754618&utm_source=diamondreview.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=diamondreview.com

B2C, the guys above, tend to be fishing bargain hunters and there may or may not be some issues with that stone but the same applies to the one you found. $12k is a nicely competitive price, but I wouldn't call it a once in a lifetime bargain.

The same applies for the $8,400 although we don't have the date you bought it. J/VVS is an unpopular combination and it brings down the prices. That's still a fine deal if there's nothing else seriously wrong with the stone.

Should you 'upgrade'? I'm thinking yes. The J color apparently bugs you and it's entirely possible that you would be happier with the new one.

Edited by denverappraiser
  • Like 1

Thank you Neil for your response!

I guess what makes me the most nervous about doing the upgrade is paying the $3500 only to realize that the color difference is minimal and that I can still notice tint in some lighting in the diamond.

I can only see the color in my J when I look for it and only in inside lighting. The lights in my house are mostly a soft yellow color and I can see it sometimes in that lighting or again when its dim lighting or when I'm in a yellow room. If I upgraded I would not want to see this yellow at anytime, am I guaranteed that with a G or should I wait for something in the D-F range?

That's your call. I wear a K for example and am very happy with it. The issue here is your own comfort level and taste. This is why you have 30 days to look at it by the way. One warning. Make sure that THEY hold onto your old stone for 30 days too. If you decide to send it back, you'll want your old stone back. Lastly, there's probably going to be a fee for pulling and setting the stone twice if you decide to undo this deal. That's going to be up to your dealer. I would certainly call it fair and reasonable but it's good to go into the deal knowing what to expect.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to try it out just so I'm not always wondering "what if"

But in your experience Neil, is a tint of yellow still noticeable in G color diamonds in dim lighting? Basically am I going to see this tint in all diamonds except D-E in office lighting?

Most people do not see color in a G but lighting is everything. Shine a red light on a white piece of paper and you'll see it as red. Most incandescent lights have a decidedly yellow hue to them and most fluorescent lights tend towards the blue. LEDs are all over the place. I have color calibrated lights in my office but I'm an outlier because of what I do. When I go out into the hallways of the building things look different.

• Like 1