Final Decision For Cushion Diamond!!!

Gmz

Hi!!! Need help in choosing which is the prettier diamond!

And does any of this two have the 'crushed ice' look? I hope they don't!!! Most importantly is the chosen one value for money???

http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.02-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-496036

$4430

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.05-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-487469

Edited by Gmz
  • Like 1

1) Which one do you like better? All the information we have, you have too, and with a cushion there isn't any data to help.

2) What's wrong with "crushed ice"? (Which, incidentally, is a totally imprecise term: any diamond can look like some piece of crushed ice - forget about labels, and use your eyes).

3) Value for money is in the eye of the beholder or of the wearer. Back to point 1: which one do you like most? The prices are reasonable for both; FWIW, I'd go for the squarer, brighter F/VS2, even though it looks slightly smaller.

• Like 1

I tend to agree with Davide on this.  Of the two, even though the FVS2 appears a little smaller, it also seems to be a brighter stone in that the GVS2 seems to have a darker center.  Ultimately it would be nice to see the two stones side by side, either live or in a picture, to get a better sense of how they compare to each other.  It's difficult to compare in a vacuum.

1) Which one do you like better? All the information we have, you have too, and with a cushion there isn't any data to help.

2) What's wrong with "crushed ice"? (Which, incidentally, is a totally imprecise term: any diamond can look like some piece of crushed ice - forget about labels, and use your eyes).

3) Value for money is in the eye of the beholder or of the wearer. Back to point 1: which one do you like most? The prices are reasonable for both; FWIW, I'd go for the squarer, brighter F/VS2, even though it looks slightly smaller.

Thank you for your input!!!! :)

I actually prefer the one that's more squarish but am afraid of the brilliance since I'm not a professional and I can only base on my little knowledge of diamonds... So I'm hoping I can get some knowledged opinions.

I also came across this squareish diamond, which is of a better pricing but of the color G and the clarity of VVS2 (which I find not a need as a VS2 is ok for me), not sure which is more worthy of the given price tag?

http://www.bluenile.com/sg/diamond-details/LD05641175

I've actually removed the 1.05 from my mind. Comparing the 1.02 and this currently since both is squareish. Down to the last 2 and I hope the purchase the diamond by today..

Edited by Gmz

I tend to agree with Davide on this. Of the two, even though the FVS2 appears a little smaller, it also seems to be a brighter stone in that the GVS2 seems to have a darker center. Ultimately it would be nice to see the two stones side by side, either live or in a picture, to get a better sense of how they compare to each other. It's difficult to compare in a vacuum.

Thanks for your input!!!! :)

Wow I didn't know that the darker center is actually a bad thing. I've no idea why it makes the diamond looks much clearer and less hazy as I thought the FVS2 has a "hazy" look which may be because of the photo not being taken properly. Yes definitely, I would love it if I could compare than side by side in life and it'll be much easier to make the right choice... What are your thoughts about the blue Nile GVVS2? :)

Edited by Gmz

The problem with Blue Nile is that they don't provide any information beyond what's on the lab report. Their so-called "cut grade" is worse than useless, and the photo on the site is a sample, not the actual stone you'd be buying. To put it bluntly, I would not use Blue Nile to buy a non-round (and/or not colourless) diamond.

Edited by davidelevi

You can read more about cut here: http://www.diamondreview.com/tutorials/diamonds-cut-proportions

But the bottom line is that you want the proportions to be such that the light that enters the diamond bounces around and as much as possible gets shot back out through the crown.  "Ideal" proportions do just that with the most even distribution.  There are no ideal parameters for cushions, but the logic remains the same.  Unfortunately, as there are no standards to work with in cushions, visually inspecting potential stones becomes critical.  It is very difficult to compare stones that are not seen together either because they are in two different stores or because the vendor does not have them on hand to show you both (or more). All of the vendors you are looking at as well as others on this forum will offer you an excellent price compared to most brick and mortar stores.  I would suggest you pick one to work with and try to get as much information about your potential stones as you can, including pictures of the actual diamonds side-by-side, unless of course you have the ability to go and see the stones.  To my knowledge BlueNile does not stock these stones nor do they actually ever sees them.  They rely primarily on the grading report and a good return policy.  Cushions can vary tremendously in appearance; from squarish to rounded corners to broader or tighter faceting patterns.  It is up to the individual making the purchase to decide what type of stone he or she likes best.  Here are some images of a few different variations among cushions.

post-109884-0-84109300-1430489512.jpg

post-109884-0-77874100-1430489550.jpg

post-109884-0-96506300-1430489583.jpg

post-109884-0-63022600-1430489630.jpg