Princess Cut Advice

Anthonyc220

Hello,

I am looking for some honest advice and opinions on the following stone.

Princess cut

1.56 ct

F color

Vs2

Depth 71.5%

Table 75%

Culet: none

Florescence: none

Polish: Very good

Symmetry: very good

Girdle: thick to extremely thick

L/w ratio: 1.01

GIA certified.

$12,000

I was wondering your opinions on the quality and price. Should I be cautious above the extremely thick girdle and the table of 75%? Is the price high? Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Based on the information available, I would look elsewhere.

1. As you point out, it has a thick girdle, so it will face smaller than other stones of the same weight.

2. As you also point out, it has a very large table, so small crown -> likely to have little fire.

3. The price is rather unexceptional: http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Prin&fCaratLo=1.50&fCaratHi=1.60&fColorLo=F&fColorHi=F&fClarityLo=VS2&fClarityHi=VS2&fCutLo=&fCutHi=poor&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000000&fLabGIA=1&fLabAGS=1

On the other hand, if you can see the stone, compare it to others (well cut ones!) and like it better, there is absolutely no gainsaying personal taste in these things.

I did see it in person, I forgot to add that. It has amazing fire, especially compared to others there. Thats the one thing that got me, the fire was exceptional but im just hesitant with the very thick girdle. Like you mentioned, it will face smaller than others of the same size. Is the price in the right range? Should i be so concerned about the large girdle and table if it has great fire?

Thanks for the input, any opinions are appreciated.

Polish and symmetry (EX -> VG) will not make a difference without a loupe. The question I have is what did you compare it to? Because if the other stones were not particularly well cut... you know what they say about one-eyed men in the land of the blind...

Price:

It's priced as a premium cut stone, but I doubt it is one. Edited by davidelevi

The devil here is in the details. "Similar in numbers" - which numbers? Unless the other stones had AGS grading reports (which are the only ones that have a reliable cut grade for princess cuts), table and depth are largely irrelevant and in any case totally inadequate to compare stones/grade their cut quality.

Any representation by the seller that these are "well cut" stones without evidence to back it up has to be taken with even more salt than their statements about the first stone (which I have no doubt they also told you "is an ideal cut").

Again, direct observation trumps any "paper-based" reasoning I (or anyone else) can do remotely; you have seen it, you like it, the price - while not a bargain - is not unreasonable. All this still does not remove my sensation that you could do better, and that you are if not exactly being deceived, you are being sold something for what it is not. It's very easy to make a stone look good when I choose the comparables, the lighting and maybe even the level of cleanliness of the other stones without having any third party checks (e.g. lab reports) and the (untrained) buyer not being any the wiser.

At the very least, go to another jeweller - either someone like Tiffany or someone that stocks AGS-graded princess cuts - and look at those stones before you decide. To be clear: I'm not suggesting you shop at Tiffany or somewhere else - I'm suggesting that you verify what the current jeweller told you.

Thank you for the advice and info. Like I said, I am new to buying diamonds and any advice is greatly appreciated. I am going to go to another place and look at their stone and see the differences.  I want to look at an AGS graded stone that has an ideal cut to see what it actually looks like and compare.

Good idea - let us know how things develop!

Remember to look at diamonds in as many light environments as you can: the store's spotlights are good... but so is the much flatter, diffused light of an office, the brightness of direct natural light and the dimmer shade. You want a stone that looks good in all of these, not just in a particular situation.

Edited by davidelevi