Any Advice For A Diamond Rookie?!?!

Cjc243

I have begun looking at engagement rings for my girlfriend and am hoping for some advice regarding this diamond I am seriously considering….

Here are the stats:

2.07 carat, E color VS2 (GIA certificate)

• Total Price - $19,000
  • Cut: Square radiant
  • Polish: excellent
  • Symmetry: very good
  • Depth 69.40%
  • Table Percent 66.00%
  • Measurements  6.99 x 6.99 x 4.85
  • Fluorescence Intensity - none

Negotiating with the jeweler, the total cost of diamond and a $2,250 band/setting would be $19,000.

I would greatly appreciate any help!

On what aspect of the stone would you like advice?

From what you have posted, we can tell you that it's going to be very white, that it's very unlikely to have unaided-eye visible inclusions, it will be very square and it's priced well within the lower part of the range of similar stones retailed by commercially aggressive internet-based retailers (http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rdnt&fCaratLo=2.00&fCaratHi=2.10&fColorLo=E&fColorHi=E&fClarityLo=VS2&fClarityHi=VS2&fCutLo=&fCutHi=poor&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000).

A low price is not necessarily a good sign - usually diamonds are priced based on the size, colour and clarity grades, plus a (usually) significant premium/discount based on how nice they look (cut quality - which we know nothing about). Also, diamonds that look larger tend to go for a premium; perfectly square diamonds likewise. Yours doesn't look very large, but it is definitely square, yet it is priced at the "discount" end of the spectrum (it's the red dot in the graph below):

post-11046-0-92657300-1430072347_thumb.jpg

Why this is, it's anybody's guess. It may be cut in a way that isn't very attractive; it may be dull and not transparent; the inclusion may be more visible than is usual in a VS2; you have found a bargain.

Other than this, without a lot more information ("normal" photo and video in different lighting environments, reflector images, viewing the stone in reality), there isn't much anyone can tell you.

Thank you for your reply. Is there any additional information that would be helpful? The GIA certificate link is:

https://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=7151235985

Again, I am just trying to make sure I am not missing anything and that the diamond is worth the price.

Thank you

Thank you for your reply. Is there any additional information that would be helpful?

You already posted pretty much all the info from the GIA report. Only missing bits were girdle thickness - which is not very meaningful and we knew from the face-up dimension would be thick, and the date - it's 2 years old, which on a currently not much in demand shape such as radiant is not uncommon (but it may also be a sign that something is wrong with the diamond).

None of these resolve the key questions around appearance and cut. I can only repeat what I said above:

without a lot more information ("normal" photo and video in different lighting environments, reflector images, viewing the stone in reality), there isn't much anyone can tell you.

Edited by davidelevi