James Allen Cuts

actonktm

'True Hearts' is a James Allen brand name.  They're all exclusive to them. 

They will use the word 'ideal' to describe stones they are consigning for other sellers as well.  By the way, they don't use it in the same way as AGS does. 

As with Davide, I prefer AGS grading because I like their cut standards.

Edited by denverappraiser

Brand names do not mean the stone is better than non-branded names.  Depending on who is branding and what it means, it might give mean that this particular vendor has preselected the best cuts but it does not mean equally  cut stones are not available without the brand name - for less $$.

As per AGS vs GIA, as both Neil and Davide point out, cut grading is a serious business for the AGS whereas the GIA's parameters cover a greater variety of cuts.  That said, the GIA has done a much better job marketing themselves around the world and are the global standard for grading reports.  As a result, there are many more GIA graded stones available on the market than AGS graded stones.  Limiting a search to AGS stones only can be frustrating.

Thanks guys. Check out this stone from James Allen - let me know your thoughts. SKU 498498

It looks like a very nice stone - other than the cloud smack bang in the centre of the table, which may well be easily visible with the unaided eye (and is probably the reason why this is a $25k stone and not a $30k one).

If that kind of thing doesn't bother you (or your to-be-fiancée), here's another one to consider. A smidgen larger, slightly more contrasted cut (which with an easily visible inclusion is not a bad thing) and a little less money: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.02-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-299955

Direct link to the first stone if anyone else wants to comment: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.00-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-498498

The second stone Davide suggests has proportions I find much more appealing.  Fortunately JA has a generous return policy in case either of these center inclusions turn out to be eye visible.  As stones get larger, fire and brilliance are somewhat diluted over a larger surface and inclusion do become more visible.  This is especially true when the stone starts getting dirty.  Given your financial investment in this purchase, I would search a little longer for a stone with inclusions that would be less potentially troublesome.