Please Advice On 1Ct Emerald Cut

Dwood1966

Here are the specs. My budget $5000 want simplicity and the best clarity for the money

Is this a good stone?

SHAPE: Emerald DEPTH %:63.80 CARAT WEIGHT:1.00 GIRDLE: Thick COLOR:D TABLE %:68.00 CLARITY: VS2 CULET:None

CERTIFICATE:GIA POLISH:Excellent CROWN ∠: SYMMETRY:Very Good CROWN %: FLUORESCENCE:None PAVILION ∠: L/W/D (MM): 6.92*4.88*3.11 PAVILION %: L/W RATIO: 1.42

Price 4500

Thanks

Davidpost-134952-0-31073700-1429154552_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dwood1966

Hi David, welcome to Diamond Review! To your questions:

Define "good".

What we can know from the information you posted is:

1. It's going to be colourless. However, a G colour will look equally colourless once set in most circumstances, and it may cost 20-30% less everything else being equal.

2. It's very unlikely to have eye-visible inclusions. If you want the best clarity, a VS2 is unlikely to be it - but why do you want the best clarity? It's a slightly unusual preference, even though some people like the symbolic meaning of the word "flawless" (however, those that do go for flawless stones, not VVS or VS).

3. It has nicely cut corners and (to my eye) a pleasant shape. It faces up as big as any good 1 carat emerald cut. The single photo you have (posted) is not enough to say anything about cut beyond the shape/corner proportions, and any photo can be highly deceptive.

4. It is priced below median compared to a range of similar stones offered for sale by commercially aggressive online vendors: http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Emrl&fCaratLo=1.00&fCaratHi=1.05&fColorLo=D&fColorHi=D&fClarityLo=VS2&fClarityHi=VS2&fCutLo=&fCutHi=poor&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000

Whether:

A. It looks nice: bright, sparkly, lively and with an attractive pattern of contrast;

B. It looks objectively brighter, sparklier or more fiery than other similar stones available;

C. You (your intended recipient) would prefer this stone or another one.

are all things that require at the very least more information and, for C., that you are able to see and compare the stones (ideally live, but at least in a good quality video and/or multiple photos in different lighting/environments).

Maybe I am paranoid, but I suspect something isn't quite right, because the price is inexplicably lower than what I'd expect. Quite what, it is impossible to say without more information, but the cut may be off and the stone looks lifeless or glassy; or there are transparency issues; or the inclusions are visible - or perhaps you have found yourself an unexpected bargain.

Can you see the diamond? Can the vendor? What is their return policy like?

Edited by davidelevi

Good points, and I appreciate the advice. First time buying a diamond and new to all of this. I just know what I like as what I have see so far and would like advice on how I should spend my budget of $5000. I like the emerald cut, because it seems similier to me and less shine/glimmer whatever you call it then round cuts, size would like to be .90 to 1.0 in size, and lastly the clearest I can get within my budget just looks better to me. So what specs should I prioritize given such?

Thanks

David

Prioritize however you like but, as Daivde pointed out above, your choice is a bit unusual and it doesn't meet your stated objective.  Unusual taste is fine as long as it's your taste and not just something that's being pushed on you by a salesperson but failure to meet your own objectives should be an issue.

Allow me to make some shopping suggestions.

First, spend some time playing with the diamond finder utility attached to this site.  It's free and anonymous.  It'll let you see how changing the various attributes affects the price.  Tweak the size, clarity and color and see what it does to the price.  Stick with GIA grading only.

Second, Read a bit of the tutorials and learn the language.  Learn how diamonds are graded, what the various scales look like and what they mean (and don't mean).  It's not that hard to get up to speed.  There's some insider terms that get used in this business and you'll find the process easier if you start out with the vocabulary. 

Third, go shopping.  Look at some real diamonds, live and in person.  What you're looking for is your own sensitivity to some of these things, especially color.  You picked a D, presumably because that's the 'best', when in practice, most people can't see the difference between that and an H.  That's 4 grades lower and something like half the price.   Leave your credit card at home if you're the sort to make an impulse buy.

Then come back here and play with the database again.  Now you know what's what and you can narrow down the options.  That'll tell you what it really costs at the discount sources to get what you want.  If it's under budget, raise the size or just keep the money.  If it's over budget, tweak one or more of the attributes to get where you want to go.  From your shopping trip you've probably got a jeweler you like.  Take what you learn hear and go ask them about it.  What can THEY offer?  Most local stores are more expensive than the sellers here and the question is whether they're worth it or not.  Ask.  This is what those salespeople are there for.  If they are, buy from them.  If they have or can get what you want for a price you can live with, buy from therm.  If not, buy here.  Either way you win.  :D

Edited by denverappraiser
  • Like 1