Help Need Your Opinion Today

sstatler

I think I really love this ring and we want to buy it before someone else does but...I want some expert opinion.  My research shows this is a great ring for the price...and its in our price range and its halo..........It has all the things we want but Im concerned that the report is EGL and the depth/table seem a bit high?

BUT I am no expert and....it LOOKS like a good diamond.....Here is the ad, pictures, EGL report and the thing that sold me was the youtube video she has of the ring, please watch it...

PLEASE LET ME KNOW if this ring is as good as I think it is?????

http://www.idonowidont.com/diamonds/she-will-say-yes-12-cttw-halo

so...this is G SI1, what is the "comprable" GIA?

Also...for cushion (because I want a halo cushion) what is a good color/clarity rating---I read somewhere that they can be fairly low and still shine but not sure if this is correct?

My concern also is...our budget is roughly 2500...and I havent found something I want within that budget except this =/?  Maybe the color/clarity question ^^ if answered will make me feel more comfortable about shopping off that diamond review site you just shared??

Thanks guys!!

so...this is G SI1, what is the "comprable" GIA?

Who knows? It is unlikely to be (GIA) G/SI1, but I have seen anything from 0 to 11 colour grades and from 0 to 4 clarity grades between GIA and EGL. Where any one specific stone falls in that broad interval can only be assessed by seeing the individual stone.

Also...for cushion (because I want a halo cushion) what is a good color/clarity rating---I read somewhere that they can be fairly low and still shine but not sure if this is correct?

Colour and clarity (within very very broad ranges) have nothing to do with "shine"; cut does, but with a cushion you have no information on cut without access to the stone (or a vendor that does, and is willing to take photos, reflector images, 3D scans and/or provide you with an honest view of what the diamond looks like in his/her opinion).

Colour is - in my opinion - an issue of personal preference.

Clarity - you can find SI2 (and even some I1) that are eye clean to most people in most circumstances, but again it depends on the individual stone, and you need to see it to have the answer to that question with any level of reliability.

My concern also is...our budget is roughly 2500...and I havent found something I want within that budget except this =/?  Maybe the color/clarity question ^^ if answered will make me feel more comfortable about shopping off that diamond review site you just shared??

Thanks guys!!

"That diamond review site" is this same site on which you are asking questions... BTW the reason for sharing the link was to give you a sense for price levels, not to suggest that any or all of the stones listed are in any way recommended.

The colour/clarity question is certainly related to budget, and I would say that you can easily go down to H or even I in colour in a 3/4 ct stone and not have any issues, but with your budget I think you may need to make other trade-offs as well:

1. Consider a stone that is smaller than 0.70. It makes a big difference to price.

2. Consider a simpler setting - for example one without pave on the shank.

3. Consider SI2 or I1 clarity stones - even though the "price" to pay here is time and effort required to find eye-clean ones.

Edited by davidelevi

The problem with EGL is inconsistency. Sometimes they're dead on with GIA, sometimes they're way off. Sometimes G means G, but sometimes it means H, I or even J. The same happens with clarity. EGL-SI1 may be GIA-SI1, but it might mean GIA-I1 too. There is no conversion formula. You won't know until you or your own expert sees the ring, and then it's too late (which is why the IDNID return policy is a problem).

• Like 1