New York

jgholaysan

I will be visiting NY next week

I am looking for an engagement ring 1.5c round,

could anyone refer me to a reliable store with reasonable price and together with a website that i could browse the stocks

the stores in the diamond finder are all legit? together if a gia certificate that i dont have to worry? 

what else should i be looking at in a certificate that is it a good diamond ?

Depth
Pavilion Depth
Table

The vendors in the Diamond Finder are perfectly fine, but not all are NYC based. Even those that are don't all have a true retail showroom, so give them a call and make an appointment before you show up in person...

A GIA report is a good thing to have, but depending on what you are looking for it may not contain enough information to really help with a decision (e.g. if you are not buying a round, information on cut does not exist) - this is where a good vendor that can look at the stone and provide more information on it is a definite advantage. Again, not everybody does: some vendors privilege rock-bottom prices at the expense of service, and this is one area where they do cut.

Finally, ignore Depth/Pavilion Height and Table; a GIA (or AGS) cut grade is a much better indication that you are buying a nicely cut stone, at least until you are in a situation where you can see the different candidates. If you are looking at non-round cuts, then you need more information than what is present in the report: Depth and Table are at best useful to eliminate outliers.

I assume you're asking about cut grading since most people count weight, clarity and color as the most important line items in a GIA. 

There are 12 variables that go into GIAs cut grades for round diamonds, not including total either total depth or pavilion depth.  That makes me curious how you picked those 3. 

They have a cool online tool for this at www.facetware.gia.edu.  You can see what the variables are as well as play with them a bit to see how they relate. 

Edited by denverappraiser

I appreciate the prompt reply guys

yes, i am only considering a round shape for the moment and eyeing on a 1.5carat, until vs2, until j, cut must be excellent, gia only. for the clarity until what point will it not be visible to the naked eye?(could i go as low as si2?  i have decided to get a j color im assuming that a normal person could not tell the presence of yellow please let me also know if J alright. my concern for clarity and color is that as non expert we could appreciate the stone and could spot the flaw, since we wouldn't be using 10x on the stone.

please let me know which criteria of the certificate i must be aware before its too late since ill be buying the stone online

I found one seller through the diamond finder here,enchanteddiamonds. what is your insight on this seller? any online seller you guys could suggest? i could see the setting in the website(setting looks matte) but when i tired to search it online since i want to see an actual photo(not a controlled environment photo) being worn if the quality of the setting doesn't have imperfections and its shine. i appreciate how they made the website

for the setting should i go for 18k wg (what i know its a bit shinier than 14k but weaker), 14k wg (stronger), platinum(strongest) i have an idea but you guys are in a different level

thank you again! i appreciate your reply guys means a lot to me

Yes, there are SI2 (and even some I1) that are eye clean. Just as there are SI1 and even (very few) VS2 that are not. However, there is no information on the lab report as to which is which.

Colour is a personal preference; a well cut 1.50 J will look white in many environments to many people, but not everywhere (e.g. right next to a whiter stone) or to everybody.

I'm not sure how to interpret your comments re: being able to appreciate (evaluate?) the stone: if you mean that in normal circumstances a J/SI1 will look white and eye-clean, the chances are yes it will. If you mean that you will be able without tools and training to tell a J/SI1 from a K/SI2, the chances are no you won't - and it makes a significant difference in fair price.

What else is important on the report depends on what you want... to some people the fine details of cut matter a lot; to others, an "Excellent" cut grade is plenty enough. FWIW, AGS is as reliable as GIA for colour and clarity grading, and in my opinion it has a significantly better cut grading system - if I had a choice, especially buying "on paper" I would choose AGS pretty much every time on a D-Z diamond.

I am also confused about your statement re: buying online. You said you were going to NY - I assumed to see the diamonds in person. Now you say that you will be buying only based on the info in the report. Bear in mind that any good online vendor will provide you with a generous return period precisely because it is accepted that the report is not a perfect replacement for seeing the diamond...

Enchanted Diamonds is a reputable vendor. Re: photos - I don't understand what you are trying to ask. "Actual photo" can mean anything; in fact, I believe many of their settings images are CAD renderings, not photos - this means there are NO clues at all about the level of finish of the actual item. Incidentally, having a single photo in a non controlled environment usually tells you less about the stone, not more.

On metal setting: most white gold is rhodium plated, which means that 18 kt is going to look exactly as 14 kt. Platinum is not stronger than gold, but it has different properties that make it (in my opinion) a better jewellery metal, however it's also significantly more expensive.

There are plenty of discussions on these topics in the forum; I suggest you search and read through a few of the past threads as well as continuing the discussion here.

Edited by davidelevi

The cut is graded "Excellent" by GIA - this is their top category and while it can be accused of being too broad, I have not yet seen an ugly diamond graded excellent (at least for reasons that have to do with the cut). FWIW, among "Excellent" cut stones, this one seems to be particularly well cut, as far as it can be assessed from the lab report.

Most people shopping for a diamond don't even know this, and most of the rest stop at this point. If you want to go further, I would suggest that you start reading something about the way in which diamond cut is assessed (at GIA), and then see as many diamonds as you can... the trick is developing an understanding of what you like and how it relates to the info on the report - see here:

http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/9890-grading-reliability/#entry51058

http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/9844-your-opinion-please/

Some recent threads on the topic of "how to assess cut":

http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/9879-comparing-diamonds-using-images-from-ha-ideal-scope-aset-etc/

http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/8416-hca-vs-idealscope-vs-aset-vs-gia-facetware-vs-human-eye/

http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/9299-getting-maximum-information-when-gia-is-your-only-information/

Cut evaluation primer article: http://www.diamondcut.gia.edu/pdf/cut_fall2004.pdf

Edited by davidelevi

I second Davide's motion regarding the 1.59 JSI1 diamond you inquired about.  Among GIA excellent cuts, this one seems to be particularly sweet.

All of the tools discussed in the threads above are useful especially when you do not have the luxury of seeing the actual stone, but ultimately seeing the stone is the best tool.  As you are coming to NYC, you are availing yourself to making the best decision you can with the most information you can get.  I usually caution people about relying too heavily on the calculators and tools out there because some people tend to make these the most important conditions they try to fill when purchasing but I have to tell you, once you see stones in person, minor differences between scores seem to pale when compared to what you are actually seeing.  This is a little difficult to explain so bear with me....  A customer walks into my showroom asking to see a 3 carat stone that scores <1 on the HCA, has no fluor, has perfect IS and ASET images, with a specific color and clarity.  I might be able to show them a handful of stones that all come very close but no single stone meets all of these requirements.  This customer has de facto eliminated all these stunning stones for all the wrong reasons and their search will go on for a long frustrating time.  On the other hand, when they agree to consider these existing stones in front of them and realize that coming close to meeting any of these criteria has already eliminated all the sinkers, now the customer has an opportunity to see some exciting options.

All this to say that you are doing the right thing in giving yourself the ability to see what your potential stone will look like by coming to visit our fair city.

Be aware that not all of us vendors in New York City are street level or open on weekends so you may be well served by setting up an appointment in advance.

I hope this helps,

• Like 1