Advice Needed On Sparkle Of Gia Triple X!

Elisep

post-134933-0-58731500-1427936670_thumb.jpgpost-134933-0-25204600-1427936682_thumb.jpgHi all! I desperately need advice! My bf and I put a deposit down on a diamond that I absolutely fell in love with. I looked at it in the store and outside...(still loved it outside!)
I thought I was getting a great bang for the buck with a GIA triple X rating but then I did some
More digging and some folks say that the proportions (crown and pavilion) will cost the diamond sparkle and fire. The HCA score is terrible too at a 5.5 (just "good") .... I Don't need a super pefect Diamond but I definitely want it to be super sparkly. Specs below...all opinions welcome! I have pics but can't seem to figure out how to post them ... The diamond is $11k including a white gold solitaire setting...

Gia 1.62 carats
E color
Si2 (eye clean)
Cut excellent
Table 59%
Depth 60.3%
Crown angle 32
Pavilion angle 41.8

post-134933-0-79871900-1427936690_thumb.jpg

Edited by Elisep

1) The HCA is only relevant if you are Garry Holloway, since it reflects his personal preferences for what looks "good". And even then, it's only relevant if you are trying to eliminate sight unseen potentially "bad" candidates for personal viewing. You are not in this situation.

2) Conventional wisdom on cut says - as does the HCA - that your diamond is not poorly cut, but it's some way off the best. You have seen the diamond, some folks relating conventional wisdom or the HCA have not. Presumably you have compared it to others - not just looked at this one - and you have decided that you prefer this one. You are getting a reasonable price, particularly if there is no fluorescence (not that fluorescence matters a jot on appearances, but it has strange effects on price).

3) If you are still feeling uncomfortable, do one more tour of the jewellery store. Ask the vendor to show you the best cut stones he/she has, and ask him/her to demonstrate why they are "better" than the one you have. If you can see (and like) the difference, then it may be worth reconsidering; if you cannot (or do not like it), relax and enjoy your new diamond.

Thank you SO much!!!b I looked at all excellent cuts (not necessarily better proportions) and I loved this one best. I will go back and do that one more time just to be sure. Thank you for replying!!!! A bunch of folks on pricescope said "you can do better" when I shared the specs. Do you think it'll really have as severe An impact on sparkle and fire given the crown / Pav angles?

Edited by Elisep

Interesting. A bunch of folks that haven't seen the diamond, but only a piece of paper accompanying it, are telling you that you are wrong in preferring this diamond to others having seen them and compared them with your own eyes in a variety of light conditions. Oh well. I'll be sure to play any lottery numbers that they suggest.

I'm pretty certain that one could find a diamond that sparkles more or that has more fire - possibly even both at the same time. Whether you would like it better (and/or you would be prepared to pay more for it) is the really interesting question - and this is why I'm encouraging you to go back and look at diamonds that those same folks would ooh and aah about (always on paper) and seeing whether you can see the difference, whether you like it, and whether you care for it enough to pay the premium asked. That's the only test that's worth anything at this point in the game...

If you have a Tiffany's branch nearby, go in there and ask to see some diamonds. You can be sure that they are well and quite consistently cut. If yours comes up well against those, don't worry. If it suddenly looks like a piece of glass (which I doubt), then perhaps it's time to reconsider.

ETA - George has answered a very similar question to yours (and funnily enough on a similarly proportioned diamond) in a very factual and concise way. Perhaps it helps: http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/9913-help-with-this-rock/#entry51191

Edited by davidelevi

Thanks so much, Davide!!!  Really appreciate it the advice - I'm going to do just what you said! I also looked at the other thread (and will shortly chime in!) ... I actually got opposite feedback when I showed a couple of folks ... that my particular stone was very bright and the large table is reflecting which makes it brighter (vs. darker) so surprised to see that  comment on the thread (but I'm no expert!)  Thanks again. 

Hi Elisep,

What I said on the other thread holds true for your stone too.  You can read more about cut here: http://www.diamondreview.com/tutorials/diamonds-cut-proportions

One point you make,

..... and the large table is reflecting which makes it brighter ...

The wider table facet does in fact offer a larger reflection plane, but that is not necessarily desirable.  The point is to let the light bounce around inside the diamond (not on the surface) and then let it reflect out through the table and crown.  Unfortunately that bouncing around requires certain angles to be optimized and the deeper pavilion and shallower crown angles do not help.  That said, your stone is still an "excellent" cut stone because the pavilion is not overly steep and the crown is not overly shallow, just a little off a truly well balanced proportion.  The most important point is that you...

... absolutely fell in love with. I looked at it in the store and outside...(still loved it outside!)

If you didn't love it and wanted to spend a little more, I'm sure you could find better perfection.

I hope this helps.

Edited by GeorgeDI
  • Like 1

Thanks George, everyone is so helpful here! :) I looked at it in the jewelry store (which I know has the Disneyland effect :)) but I also took it outside and still loved it .... not sure what else I could do to see it in different types of lighting... So I guess we'll see once I get it (make sure I'm still happy with it outside of that wonderful jewelry store lighting....) and if not... the jeweler has a 30 day return policy so I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I just want it to sparkle (doesnt have to be the MOST sparkly in the world!) :)

Thanks again

Thanks all!  I'm going to head back to the store in the next week or so but I definitely think I made the right choice (just want to double check).  If i do end up keeping this stone... any advice on how to get it sat to maximize brilliance / fire, given the particular specs of the diamond?  I'll likely keep the setting in the picture just didnt know if low or high was better...or any specific guidance I could give the jeweler.  Thanks in advance! 

Low or high doesn't really matter much in terms of light behaviour; the majority of light entering a diamond and being reflected back to your eyes enters the diamond from above. As long as the crown is free of obstruction, you'll be fine. The most important factor is keeping the stone clean - particularly on the pavilion - which is another reason for choosing something that is relatively open and leaves easy access (for a toothbrush!) to the bottom of the stone.

Final consideration, a "High" setting is significantly less practical because it snags on clothes and other things, even if it may appear more showy at a first glance.

• Like 1

Hey -- does anyone happen to have any pictures of stones with these type of angles, so I could see the impact of the darker table inside...(or even DiamCalc?)..  I will be going to the jewelery store next week however I always feel like my eyes deceive me in there

Also Davide - is there any particular setting type that would maximize the brilliance of the diamond?  I'd be open to changing if that was the case :)

Thanks all! 

Here's one that is relatively similar in proportions (making "very good" cut grade because of the large table):

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-colorless-diamond-501ct-j-vs2-round-brilliant-diamond-gia-r6201#GIA

And one that is "at the other end" of the well cut spectrum (meaning it's a classic superideal that would have the famous folks discussed above in a swoon) - but is similar in colour:

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/crafted-by-infinity-round-brilliant-diamond-170ct-kvvs1-ideal-cut-agsl-r4437

Photos taken by the same photographer and camera, in the same room(s), unretouched other than for cropping, but I'm not sure you will see that much of a difference in them...

Re: the setting - I wouldn't say that there is a specific style or type that makes a diamond look good (or better); however I have never regretted spending extra on the quality/workmanship of the setting, and I'd rather have a plain but very well finished solitaire than a very complex/ornate piece with so-so workmanship (and I'm talking of pieces I buy for myself or rather for my wife).

An example of the former:

TM_Torch_Comp1b.jpg

An example of the latter:

10-1-10051_1_of_6_.jpg

(2016 edit to replace broken link to picture)

Edited by davidelevi