Oec Diamond Question

CharmedOne

I took my diamond necklace to a jeweler and asked the young lady to check to see if it was a real diamond. She looked at it through a loupe for a bit then looked at the jump ring and said no it's fake and the chain wasn't real or marked. They did not have a diamond tester there. I had always assumed it was real so I decided to try a different jeweler. This jeweler had a diamond tester that was also a moissanite and metal detector. Their detector determined it was a diamond and she found a 14K stamp on the inside of the clasp. So I'm not sure what to believe at this point. Should I try another jewelers diamond tester?

The necklace is white gold and has a thin chain. It is adjustable, so it has a jump ring at 14 inches and with the clasp closed its 16 inches. The holes on the pendant are very small, just big enough for the chain to fit through, so you would have to cut the necklace apart to get the pendant off. The clasp is marked 14K but the pendant isn't marked at all. The OEC diamond is about 5mm wide. Just trying to figure out what I should do at this point. Thank you for any suggestions you can give me.

1) Diamonds can be mounted in all metals - including silver or even "non precious" metals. Presence or absence of a mark - whether the part is removable or not - is not an indication of what the stone is.

2) The first store assistant has revealed her incompetence by being unable to locate a 14k mark; why would you believe her when she tells you the stone isn't a diamond, without anything but her eyes to help?

3) What you should do is stop worrying and enjoy the necklace.

Working in a jewelry store does not make someone an expert.  Heck, OWNING a jewelry store doesn't make them an expert.  If you want a professional opinion, ask a professional.  It's not all that difficult to tell a diamond from a fake but that's rarely the end of the question.  People then want to know what grade it is.  They want to know what it's 'worth'.  These aren't usually all that difficult either but they're not questions for some sales clerk who spends a few seconds with a loupe. 

As mentioned above, the presence of the 14k mark means nothing at all about the stone, and it means remarkably little about the metal. 

• Like 1