Did I Pay To Much?

ArnyVVSD

You almost certainly didn't get a bargain. GIA-graded F-SI2 0.40 princess cuts will go for around $650-700 each, and a GSI split grade (E-F/SI1-SI2) is unlikely to be better than GIA F-SI2. Plain stud settings go for $200-500/pair, including setting work and depending on metal and quality.

For what it's worth.  Kay, Jared and Zale are all owned by the jewelry maker and supplier Signet.

From wire reports  â€¢  Thursday February 20, 2014 2:11 AM

•  
  •  

DALLAS â€” Two diamond sellers are getting engaged. Signet Jewelers said yesterday that it agreed to buy Zale Corp. for roughly $900 million to help it expand in North America.

Zale shares soared more than 40 percent yesterday. Bermuda-based Signet Jewelers Ltd.’s stock rose more than 18 percent.

Signet, which operates 1,400 stores in the U.S. under the names Kay Jewelers and Jared The Galleria of Jewelry and 500 stores in the U.K., said it will pay $21 per share. That’s a 41 percent premium to Zale’s $14.91 closing price on Tuesday.

Dallas-based Zale operates 1,680 stores in North America under names including Zales, Gordon’s and Peoples.

I also purchased a 1 1/2 CT wedding band last year from Zales for $1999.99

Stone Type Diamond

Stone Shape Round

Diamond Total Weight (CT. T.W.) 1-1/2

Diamond Color H - I

Diamond Clarity I1 - I2

Stone Setting Machine Set

Gold Karat 14K

Standard Ring Size 7

Lifetime Diamond Commitment Yes

Metal Color White

Metal Type Gold

Stone Color White

Was this to much?

Hi Amy,

The key to this is in that 'total weight', although the I2 clarity claim is at the dead bottom of the scale and is a bit of a red flag.  Total Weight is what the T.W. stands for.   One stone weighing 1.5 cts goes for a bunch more than 10 stones TOTALING 1.5 cts, and that goes for more than 40 stones totaling 1.50.  

Is that a reasonable price?  It depends on the ring and the rest of the deal.  Zales isn't an especially cheap place t buy things but they regularly pitch their financing for example.  I'm no fan of financing jewelry in the first place but the calculation and the competitive playing field are very different.  

Edited by denverappraiser
  • Like 1

ok.  

That sounds like what Zales sells for $2000.  Lots of jewelers sell similar things and yes, chances are good you could have bought something similar for less elsewhere.  That may or may not mean you paid too much.  Again, Zales is not a discount outlet, nor do they claim to be.  

• Like 1