Expert Help Needed! Help Me Choose Between 3 Stones!

Joyful01

Hi all,

I’m completely new to this forum and would love your advice. My partner and I are choosing a stone together. We have decided on the diamond type (a round solitaire).

We are keen to get to the carat mark (or as close as possible), however would prefer not to splurge completely on the 1 carat and maybe save a little ( from the .9 to .99 mark) if we can find one. However if we do find a great stone, we are happy to do so. We have been given 3 quotations and I wondered if you might be able to help me assess the quality of the stone (I want something most fire and brilliance) as well as the best value for money of the stones.

The .85 is not really negotiable, whereas there may be a little leeway for the .96 and 1.01 stones.
Stone 1: The 1.01 carat stone: Price quoted: £6,750gbp
Measurement: 6.61 – 6.64 x 3.77 mm
Color Grade D
Clarity Grade SI1
Cut Grade Very Good
Depth 56.9 %
Table 63 %
Crown Angle 30.0°
Crown Height 10.5%
Pavilion Angle 40.8°
Pavilion Depth 43.0%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 75%
Girdle Slightly Thick to Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet None
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
clarity characteristics Crystal, Pinpoint, Extra Facet

The flaws in the diamond are on the side (one on the far right side edge, and the other on left, not quite in the middle). Please see pic attached.

post-134895-0-89562200-1426188900_thumb.jpg

————————

Stone 2: The .96 I was initially quite keen on, the cut is excellent, however the clarity worried me a little bit as there are a number of flaws scattered around the middle. Quoted price: £6,300 gbp
Measurements 6.36 – 6.39 x 3.87 mm
Carat Weight 0.96 carat
Color Grade E
Clarity Grade SI1
Cut Grade Excellent
Depth 60.7 %
Table 59 %
Crown Angle 34.5°
Crown Height 14.5%
Pavilion Angle 40.6°
Pavilion Depth 43.0%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Thin to Medium, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet None
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Excellent
clarity characteristics Crystal, Cloud, Needle, Indented Natural

post-134895-0-85967900-1426188902_thumb.jpg

The flaws that worry me mainly spread around the centre. Will this affect the diamond massively? I am worried the cloud in the .96 may cause problems as it seems to be the main clarity issue, even though cut is good.

Stone 3: The .85. I feel like this one is on the smaller size as compared to what I really want. The price quoted:£ 4,500gbp
Measurements 6.10 – 6.11 x 3.77 mm
Carat Weight 0.85 carat
Color Grade E
Clarity Grade SI1
Cut Grade Excellent
Depth 61.8 %
Table 57 %
Crown Angle 34.0°
Crown Height 14.5%
Pavilion Angle 41.4°
Pavilion Depth 44.0%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Thin to Medium, Faceted, 3.0%
Culet None
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Excellent
Fluorescence None
clarity characteristics Cloud, Feather
Not sure where these flaws are, as no pic!

So all in all, would love your thoughts on which stone might look the best in terms of fire and brilliance (quality). Which stone is the best value for money, and if I had to go for one of the bigger stones (.96 and 1.01) which should I ideally go for? Is there a tangible difference between the .5 and .96?

Thanks so much.  :wavey:

My first reaction is that these prices are exceedingly high.  Please do a search on the Diamond Finder above to see the prices of comparable diamonds.  Here is a quick search for similar 0.9 carat stones: http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=carat&sortDesc=0&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=0.96&fCaratHi=0.96&fColorLo=E&fColorHi=E&fClarityLo=SI1&fClarityHi=SI1&fCutLo=exc&fCutHi=exc&fDepthLo=60.0&fDepthHi=62.5&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000&fLabGIA=1&adv=1

I understand the appeal of a local brick and mortar store but I am seeing similar stones for about 40% less money on the Diamond Finder.  Given the money you are willing to spend, you could easily reach the 1ct mark and bigger.

I hope this helps a little.

• Like 1

I take it (from the vocabulary and the attached images) that all three diamonds are grade by GIA. If not, we (and you) may not be really comparing apples to apples. Assuming I am right...of the 3, my vote would go to the 0.96 based on the info you have posted: on paper it is by far the best cut of the 3, and although it's going to be visibly slightly smaller than the 1.01, the cut in my view will far more than compensate.

The question (with all 3) is whether you can spot the inclusions; the plots are no use in this respect, because they contain no information over the colour or the extent to which the inclusions are reflected through the stone: it is perfectly possible that the 1.01 has two relatively visible black boogers that get reflected 16 times across the stone, while the bunch of crystals in the 0.96 may be transparent and totally invisible. In any case, the small cloud(s) listed as second grading in an SI1 are absolutely not a concern.

I'm not sure I understand your question about "a tangible difference between the 0.85 and 0.96", so I'll cover all angles: size-wise, you'll see the difference, but you won't be overwhelmed by it; cut-wise, it's likely that the 0.96 will be brighter and thus look even slightly bigger than the physical size difference would make you think; clarity-wise, I would bet that the 0.85 is clean - the 0.96 is more chancy - but the only way of knowing is to see both stones. Finally, it's £1800 cheaper - which to me is no pocket change. Does all of this amount to "tangible difference"? You tell me.

Speaking of prices: do your prices include VAT? If so, they are about 10-40% higher than what is available from commercially aggressive vendors; if VAT is still to be added, I truly would recommend shopping elsewhere.

Value for money is in the eye of the beholder; only you can tell whether you'd value size more than a more balanced cut or the latter more than £1800 in your pocket. I would not buy any of those purely based on price levels, but again I don't know who you are shopping with and what level of service they offer to justify a premium over others.

Finally, a question: is the choice of D and E colour stones deliberate and informed, or is this because of what the vendor(s) have available? Bear in mind that in a stone around 1 carat a D and a G (and to many many people an H) will be indistinguishable once set.

• Like 1

Average price through which channel? The average price at dirtcheapdiamonds.com (now known as James Allen) is going to be very different than the average price at Graff in Bond Street.

If I look at relatively (commercially) aggressive internet-based vendors advertising on the Diamond Finder, for stones graded similarly to the 0.96 prices go from £4200 to £5600 (incl. UK VAT): http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=0.95&fCaratHi=0.99&fColorLo=E&fColorHi=E&fClarityLo=SI1&fClarityHi=SI1&fCutLo=exc&fCutHi=exc&fDepthLo=0.0&fDepthHi=100.0&fTableLo=0.0&fTableHi=100.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=none&fFlrHi=faint&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000000&fLabGIA=1&fLabAGS=1&adv=1- a lot of the range may be due to visibility of the inclusions, and we have no idea how "that" 0.96 fares in that respect.

The 0.85 has been quoted at a similar premium, while the 1.01 has a lower premium - though again it's possible that you have been quoted a lower price because its inclusions are more easily visible.

Play with the Diamond Finder parameters; it's anonymous and free to use.

You bring up a new point:

This is really useful. Thanks! They are all GIA stones. These prices include VAT.

What would you say the average price of a .96 (and setting) of around the same standard should be, or even the .85?

Many thanks

Are the prices you are quoting and comparing meant to include a setting?  This is a entirely different question and one that would be close to impossible to answer without knowing the type of setting and metal you are referring to.  Setting prices can vary from a couple of hundred to many thousands of dollars or pounds, depending on their complexity and the material they are made of.

You bring up a new point:

This is really useful. Thanks! They are all GIA stones. These prices include VAT.

What would you say the average price of a .96 (and setting) of around the same standard should be, or even the .85?

Many thanks

Are the prices you are quoting and comparing meant to include a setting?  This is a entirely different question and one that would be close to impossible to answer without knowing the type of setting and metal you are referring to.  Setting prices can vary from a couple of hundred to many thousands of dollars or pounds, depending on their complexity and the material they are made of.

Yes they include a setting! sorry if I didnt make that clear - teh setting we have chosen is platnum, with tiny diamonds, he has quoted around 780 for it...

Average price through which channel? The average price at dirtcheapdiamonds.com (now known as James Allen) is going to be very different than the average price at Graff in Bond Street.

If I look at relatively (commercially) aggressive internet-based vendors advertising on the Diamond Finder, for stones graded similarly to the 0.96 prices go from £4200 to £5600 (incl. UK VAT): http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=0.95&fCaratHi=0.99&fColorLo=E&fColorHi=E&fClarityLo=SI1&fClarityHi=SI1&fCutLo=exc&fCutHi=exc&fDepthLo=0.0&fDepthHi=100.0&fTableLo=0.0&fTableHi=100.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=none&fFlrHi=faint&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000000&fLabGIA=1&fLabAGS=1&adv=1- a lot of the range may be due to visibility of the inclusions, and we have no idea how "that" 0.96 fares in that respect.

The 0.85 has been quoted at a similar premium, while the 1.01 has a lower premium - though again it's possible that you have been quoted a lower price because its inclusions are more easily visible.

Play with the Diamond Finder parameters; it's anonymous and free to use.

okay, i shall do that!

The place we are buying is based in jewellery quarter in birmingham - brick and mortar.

Based on the link I included above an comparable 0.96 is priced on the Diamond Finder around $6000 = £4025

Add the VAT and you get £4830 + the setting at £780 (with VAT presumably included) and you reach a total of £5600 which is only about a 10% difference in price.  if you look at the list you will see there is a substantial price variation between the highest and lowest.  Try to find one with parameters as close to yours as possible and that will give you the best comparison.  The $6000 was a round number roughly in the middle.

Hope this helps.

Based on the link I included above an comparable 0.96 is priced on the Diamond Finder around $6000 = £4025

Add the VAT and you get £4830 + the setting at £780 (with VAT presumably included) and you reach a total of £5600 which is only about a 10% difference in price.  if you look at the list you will see there is a substantial price variation between the highest and lowest.  Try to find one with parameters as close to yours as possible and that will give you the best comparison.  The $6000 was a round number roughly in the middle.

Hope this helps.

It really does. Thanks so much