Help Needed. Whether This Diamond Is Value For Money And Is Hca Score Important?

hamm

I'm looking to purchase this stone

1.32 carat Color D Clarity VS1 Cut Excellent

Polish Excellent Symmetry Excellent Fluorescence None

Depth of stone 61.1%, Table 58%, Crown 34 degree, pavillion 41.2 degree....which only gives a HCA score of 3 (4vg)

Saw the stone in person, could see all the arrows and hearts (the only thing i know abt cut when examining a diamond), but i'm not any expert in reviewing diamonds, so now really struggling whether i should get this stone given that the HCA score is not that impressive? the seller quoted the price at $15000, really appreciate if some advice could be given on whether this diamond is a good purchase

Thanks a lot for the help

The point of HCA these days is to help people subdivide the GIA-excellent cut grade into what is the most excellent.  That's a tough thing to define and it's debatable whether it works all that well no matter how you define it but at least it's a solution.  Rather few other options are available for this, especially for folks who are trying to do it without actually looking at the stone(s).  One area where all agree.  Seeing it in person, comparing it to others, and choosing the one YOU like the best is a far better solution.  Given that this is apparently what you've done, I would ignore the HCA results entirely.

Prices are easy enough to compare.  Use the 'diamond finder' link at the top of the page to search for your parameters.  This links to a database full of advertisements from a half a dozen highly aggressive sellers and you can see what they have.  It's free, and it's anonymous. 

The HCA is irrelevant in the majority of cases, but even its inventor declares it is irrelevant when you are trying to choose a diamond (esp. one that you can see!) rather than rejecting sight unseen potential candidates. Ignore it.

If you like it and it is graded by GIA, it is priced reasonably. Have you seen other diamonds? Is this one striking you as the best looking one?

(A D VS1 would not be my starting point... because once set a G SI1 will look exactly the same, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with D VS1 if this is what you want. If this is what you are being given because it's what the vendor has in store, then it's a completely different situation.)

hi guys thanks a lot for the advice, its very valuable

I'm trying to buy a stone for my engagement ring, therefore being bought to some vendors by my friend and they presented me a number of different stones. The one i mentioned seems the most sparkling...there are other choices like G VS2, F VVS1, H VVS2 etc. Of coz the price for the D colour is the highest, so wondering if this stone really worthy as it will certainly break the bank

• 3 weeks later...

The HCA is irrelevant in the majority of cases, but even its inventor declares it is irrelevant when you are trying to choose a diamond (esp. one that you can see!) rather than rejecting sight unseen potential candidates. Ignore it.

If you like it and it is graded by GIA, it is priced reasonably. Have you seen other diamonds? Is this one striking you as the best looking one?

(A D VS1 would not be my starting point... because once set a G SI1 will look exactly the same, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with D VS1 if this is what you want. If this is what you are being given because it's what the vendor has in store, then it's a completely different situation.)

David, I would love for you to look at my thread and weigh in ! :)  Similar issue w/ HCA....

http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/9912-advice-needed-on-sparkle-of-gia-triple-x/