Can Anyone Advise On Adding A Halo To This Ring?

diamondlostsad

Hi everyone! I love this forum and the great information it provides. I saw a couple postings about adding a halo to an existing engagement ring, depending on the ring and was wondering if any of the experts out there could advise me on whether this is possible. I have grown to love the cushion cut halo look, but really cannot afford to start from scratch and I do love my band. I did consult one local jeweler who told me it was definitely possible but it seemed they would have to cut off the diamond ribbing (for lack of a better word) on the sides of the prongs where diamond is now set (which is ok). I was going to supply the diamonds from another piece of jewelry I have that I never wear. He estimated 500-800 for the labor, plus setting my diamond, as well as additional cost for the platinum needed for the head. When I calculate this up, I get to about 1200. It was a casual talk to be followed by an email with specifics (which I haven't received) so I don't really have any exact numbers.  I definitely don't want to jump in until I have a real sense of exactly how the finished product will look and I thought going somewhere that had a model they would copy from would be a good idea? I apologize in advance for the quality and size of the photo but will try to post more if needed. Thanks so much for any advice that you may have!!!

post-134054-0-63225500-1425477948_thumb.jpg

It's not easy.   You can replace the head, which is the 'v' shaped cluster of prongs, with one that has a halo on it but it's not going to look like a typical sort of halo ring.  It'll be quite tall for example.  Removing those ribbons is certainly an option but that's basically remaking the entire ring.  There's no way to decide if the price is reasonable without a bit more on what he's planning to do but a total rebuild on a platinum ring for $500-800 is certainly fair enough.  Cheap even.

Edited by denverappraiser

Everything is possible, given enough money and skill. To be honest, given the current design and what I understand you would like to end with, it may be cheaper and easier to start from scratch, once you factor in the scrap value of your ring.

When you say "you love your band" - is there a wedding band that goes with the current ring? Why do you think it would not go with a new, halo-based design?

I'm not sure what your question is when you say: "I thought going somewhere that had a model they would copy from would be a good idea?" - they should be able to work with you on a sketch (or CAD rendering) so that you can agree what the new ring - whether altered or brand new - will look like, but a lot of the "real sense of exactly how the finished product will look" to borrow your words will depend on their skill at working things and what you actually go for. (For example, I for one would never recommend to set a round in a cushion-shape halo.)

All this said, you seem to have a very cooperative jeweller, who is prepared to take materials from you (not particularly common), and if you are comfortable with their skill level, they are a significantly better place to take advice from than a remote forum populated by people that however skilled and knowledgeable haven't got the benefit of having you to talk to directly and the old ring to see in person.

I guess I miscommunicated a little.  I love the band that is on this engagement ring setting which is not pictured but has beautiful diamonds. The 500-800 was for labor only, which is very reasonable, but with adding in the platinum for the new head and the charge to set the diamond, I am estimating it at about 1200.  This current engagement ring setting was about 3000.00, so to start a new would be much more expensive.

That is a very lovely ring.   I think I would not risk spoiling it by trying to change it into something that might not turn out well.   How about starting  a "Halo Fund",  save up enough to get the exact configuration of setting  you want and then have two beautiful rings.   :)

The shank can be "recycled" for sure. As to "more expensive to do anew", it really depends on what you want/would give up; e.g. white gold instead of platinum... suddenly a well built halo custom design for ~$1500 becomes feasible, for example something like this (ignore the pink gold bezel):

r2987c.jpg

r2987a.jpg

r2987b.jpg

which has the advantage of greater knowledge/control about what will come out, against a trade-off on material specs.

That is a very lovely ring.   I think I would not risk spoiling it by trying to change it into something that might not turn out well.   How about starting  a "Halo Fund",  save up enough to get the exact configuration of setting  you want and then have two beautiful rings.   :)

+1!

+1!

I third that motion.  I would be concerned with trying to patch a beautiful ring into another creation without really knowing the outcome.  Once done, you would not be able to undo.

(For example, I for one would never recommend to set a round in a cushion-shape halo.)

Here I would disagree.  We create cushion halo rings for round centers and they are gorgeous.

post-109884-0-25228800-1425493742_thumb.jpg

+1!

Same here.  By the way, I"m with George .... I rather like the look of a round stone in a cushion halo. 

• Like 1

Not for me... but each to her/his own! :)

(BTW - George: I'm not sure because of the angle of the photo you posted, but are the stones in the corner significantly larger than the rest of the melée, thus reducing/eliminating the gaps between the stone and the setting? Gaps are a good part of my "dislike" about non-matching shapes. Neat idea!)

Edited by davidelevi

Definitely neat - and definitely requiring a fair amount of skill to pull out so neatly. Compliments to your setter! (I was not trying to imply any form of trickery; it's just tough to tell with one photo only, and that at a slight angle: perspective can be deceptive!)

Edited by davidelevi

Thank you very much! All your comments have definitely made me think twice about doing this and risking that I will end up with something I am not happy with and have ruined my setting that is very lovely. I like the idea of a halo fund and waiting until I can be sure of the outcome by doing an entirely new setting. I am also salivating at the beautiful picture posted by "Georgedi" above of the cushion cut halo with the round center. Really exactly what I am looking for. Btw, George, what is the ratio of center stone to diamonds in the halo ie: 1 carat center, and .02 carat diamonds on halo? It is simply gorgeous!! I guess I would not be assured of such an end result unless I started from scratch. I really appreciate all the input from the experts!!

Also Davide, the ring you posted is beautiful and I do think that even if I don't have the budget for it now, I should wait until I do so I can get just what I want :) I don't know why platinum is necessary but I guess I am just used to it because my engagement ring is platinum now and I do like the feel and the fact it won't yellow . If I can recycle the band are you still suggesting I shouldn't for the reasons you stated about possibly not ending up with a halo I'm happy with?

Platinum vs. (white) gold: I'm the first one to advocate platinum, and have done so consistently on the forum. If you can wait and go for platinum, then I would advise you to do so. The only reason I brought up gold as an option is that it is significantly cheaper, and would bring a new ring within reach with your current budget.

On recycling the shank: it really depends on the final design, but given the way in which the ribbons/finger rest and the rest of the shank interact together I suspect you'd end up with a bit of a dog's breakfast, or at the very least lose the flow that characterises the current design. It's not difficult to replicate the main features of your current shank (tapering width; milgrained edges), although it may narrow down the number of pre-designed options available and/or increase cost.