Need Help With Cushion Diamond

kahhoong

I am looking at the following cushion diamonds from Brian Gavin. Which one would be a better purchase?

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.718-f-vs2-cushion-diamond-ags-104068042002

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.814-f-vs1-cushion-diamond-ags-104076907001

If there are other better options, feel free to include them.

With those 2, it largely comes down to size vs. budget.

"Better" options depend on what you want. You can definitely get cheaper or more expensive, more tintedor coloured, more or less included, larger and smaller stones. And you could get something that looks completely different like an old cut or a classical cushion.

With those 2, it largely comes down to size vs. budget."Better" options depend on what you want. You can definitely get cheaper or more expensive, more tintedor coloured, more or less included, larger and smaller stones. And you could get something that looks completely different like an old cut or a classical cushion.

Thanks davidelevi. I have been reading alot of reviews and came down to either BG or Brellia that gives superior light return, brilliance as compared to old cut cushion. As I am still not familiar with the reading of aset images and whatnot, which of the above is superior in terms of brilliance?

I tried sourcing for Brellia Cushion around but cant seem to find a retailer.

On a separate note, there are some comparisons on the internet for BGD vs Blue Nile. Blue Nile does provide H&A Cushions as well. Anyone can provide insights on how those from Blue Nile stand against BGD?

Between the two BG stones there is little to choose in terms of cut. As I said above, it comes down to budget vs. size.

I would - on the other hand - be very cautious in saying "superior light return" without specifying what "light return" means. On-axis brightness isn't all there is to a diamond.

Re BN vs BG: it will depend on which stone you look at. I would expect Brian's stock to be much more consistent in looks and quality than BN.

(Incidentally - there are no ASET images available for the BG stones you linked above).

Edited by davidelevi

Between the two BG stones there is little to choose in terms of cut. As I said above, it comes down to budget vs. size.I would - on the other hand - be very cautious in saying "superior light return" without specifying what "light return" means. On-axis brightness isn't all there is to a diamond.Re BN vs BG: it will depend on which stone you look at. I would expect Brian's stock to be much more consistent in looks and quality than BN.(Incidentally - there are no ASET images available for the BG stones you linked above).

Is that so? I saw an ASET and Ideal images for both diamonds.

Hmmm. Then what else should i be looking for when purchasing a diamond?

I stand corrected. There is an ASET image as well (where until some time ago there was the normal photo) - but the choice remains between budget and size: both images are very similar (as are the IdealScope images that I looked at first) and typical of Brian Gavin's production - technically perfect or nearly so.

I think you are looking at things the wrong way - you seem to be starting from the parameters/analyses rather than the diamonds. Go out, look at a few dozens of diamonds (it doesn't take that long), and then decide what you actually like. At the moment, I have the impression you are working off second or even third hand impressions ("reviews say that..."; "H&A cushions are better..."; "old cuts are less brilliant..." - actually this third one may be technically right, but there are other things that compensate).

Edited by davidelevi

Both companies you listed are fine outfits but they definitely have different flavors.  BN is very corporate.  They're a machine.  They're the biggest dog in the Internet diamond business by far, they're the best known name and they've been around the longest.  They're a publicly held company.  That all comes with a certain confidence.  BGD is a one location jeweler.  There really is a Brian and he really does work there.  You can call him up and talk to him.  He has an office where you can show up and look at things (with an appointment).   His fingerprints are all over the business.  They sell what he likes, they sell it the way he likes to sell, he sets the parameters for the branded lines and so on.  He has a cool beard.  It's a much more personal experience.  Is that better?  For some people yes it is, for others it's not.  The difference is in what you count as better.  It's a big world where Tiffany's and Costco can both have legions of happy customers who will swear that their choice is the best.

Edited by denverappraiser

Thanks for the feedback guys. Greatly appreciated.

I have looked at normal cushions (i would think those are old cuts) at various brick and mortar. Came across one store which gave me a live comparison between a brellia and a normal one. It was pretty obvious how those two compared under the sun and i liked how the brellia looked. Tried sourcing it online as the store does not hv the size i wanted. Thats how i came across BG. Did some search to see how it compares to the brellia and so far reviews have been pretty much equal. Of course i can only base it on such descriptions as i hv not seen an actual BG being compared to the brellia. I am considering getting a BG based on what i hv seen but i am not entirely comfortable. Hence, this post was created to at least give me more confidence.

BG has a very reasonable return policy if you order something in, look at it, and decide it's not for you.  All you're risking is a bit of time, a certain amount of shipping and tying up your credit card for a while.  You can even walk it into your neighborhood Brellia dealer and compare side by side as long as the locals are ok with that (most are but do tell them your plan before you just whip out a diamond in their showroom.  There are some valid security issues here).  As mentioned above, he also has an office where you can go to look if you're ever going to be in the neighborhood of Houston.

Your local guys may be able to order in in a brellia that meets your specs.  Inventory is always a problem with this sort of thing but the authorized dealers have relations with each other as well as the manufacturer.  Did you ask?

Edited by denverappraiser

I have looked at normal cushions (i would think those are old cuts) at various brick and mortar.

Most likely not, actually.

As long as you are getting into an H&A cushion having at least seen one in real life...

I am considering getting a BG based on what i hv seen but i am not entirely comfortable.

BGD is a reputable business; their stones are of excellent quality, and you are in for shipping costs only if you don't like the stone.

What are you not "entirely comfortable" with? (Genuine question - those three are the things that would worry me shopping remotely for a diamond where I have decided what I want, but you may have very different concerns)