Your Comments On These Two Diamonds Is Much Appreciated

jenad1kr

hello:

I am in the market for a diamond engagement ring. here are the diamonds i have in mind:

http://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/GIA-Certified-G-VVS1-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D25350505

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6431726-1.03-carat-Round-diamond-H-color-VVS2-clarity.aspx

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5188165-1.03-carat-Round-diamond-G-color-VVS1-clarity.aspx

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6731039-1.10-carat-Round-diamond-G-color-IF-clarity.aspx

I am not sure which one to get. I am buying a halo platinum ring that will cost me 1700 USD. many tell me that cut is important. Please advise. thank you,.

Edited by jenad1kr

Yes, cut is important.  But before we get into that, may I ask what was the selection criteria that narrowed the selection down to those 4?  A casual search of 1.00 - 1.10/IF-VVS2/G-H/NoF/GIAxxx, which seems like what you're hunting for, shows over 2000 stones in the database here alone.  Why those 4?

While we're at it, is the mounting you've selected from one of those 2 vendors?

Edited by denverappraiser

I liked a ring in B2C site. I wanted the best of everything. cut to be excellent, clarity to IF - VVS2, color to be D-G, and the dimensions to be ideal. Lets say i like the first one, but I need to go with the ring that i could find only on b2cjewels. thank you.

There's a certain amount of incentive to buy the ring, the diamond and the labor all from the same source.  Given your scenario I would try and get B2C to see if they can order in that diamond.  Chances are decent they can.  As far as I know they won't set an outside stone in one of their rings and I don't know if they'll even sell you just a mounting.  Some will and some won't.   If you're locked on a particular mounting, ask what your options are.

I'm not trying to be obtuse in my questioning.  The difference between a D/IF/xxx, aka 'the best of everything' and a G/VVS2 is more than a factor of 2 in price.  You've surely noticed this and have already entered into a compromise mode.  As mentioned above, there are more than 2000 stones in between on this site alone (including D-F colors that aren't included in your finalists it's up to 8500).  Not to worry, that's what everyone does.  The trick is that not everyone compromises in the same way.  Dropping to G/SI1 brings down the budget by another third or so with no visible effect and you've obviously ruled that out.  That's ok, buy what you like.  I've got no pony in this race but if you're looking for advice on what's the best fit for that, we need to know what you're thinking. 

'Ideal' cutting, is a completely different can of worms.  It depends on what you mean by that term.  Not everyone uses it the same way.  GIA doesn't use it at all for example.  All 4 of your chosen stones are GIA graded so if someone is telling you they're ideal, the first question should be what they mean by that term and who assigned the grade. 

thank you so much for your time and advice. I am new buyer and I could use all the directions I can get. For the longest time, i wanted to get d-G/IF. then i read somewhere that, if for what ever reason I need to sell it, it wont be graded as IF, but it may be one level lower. So I compromised and started to look for VVS1 and VVS2. Then I read about measurements, and how the "ideal" diamond (for the 1 carat) would be 6.5 * 6.5 *4. So I started to look for measurements that was closer to that. I kind of zeroed in on a diamond which has the following measurements:  6.5 * 6.49 * 4.03. 

I first thought that I will buy the ring alone from B2C and diamond from adaimor (since that diamond had the highest level of cut (Affinity cut) and had nice pics. B2C's version of ideal cut is perfection and I did not find any good ones in B2C.)

Then i thought I will go to a local jeweller for mounting. I tried to look around but could not find any. So I kind of resigned myself to get the diamond and the ring from B2c. 

So you are saying that I can ask B2c to buy a diamond from adaimor and do the mounting in their ring??? I will check with them . But to answer your question about what i am thinking, i wanted cut, clarity, measurement, color and carat ( 1+). (in that order).

Thank you for your guidance. 

•  

You are working under a couple of misconceptions.

For the longest time, i wanted to get d-G/IF. then i read somewhere that, if for what ever reason I need to sell it, it wont be graded as IF, but it may be one level lower.

Provided the diamond has not been chipped, pitted or nicked, it will still be IF; if it has been damaged, it could well be graded SI1 - however this is valid for any starting grade; it's just that FL/IF status is easier to lose. With any high clarity stone (FL-VVS2) it is quite likely that whoever buys it will want a new lab report stating that the diamond is still FL (or VVS2), but that's no more difficult or expensive to do for an FL/IF than it is for a VVS.

BTW, Never ever buy any diamond of piece of jewellery with the expectation that you are going to see your money again.

Then I read about measurements, and how the "ideal" diamond (for the 1 carat) would be 6.5 * 6.5 *4. So I started to look for measurements that was closer to that. I kind of zeroed in on a diamond which has the following measurements:  6.5 * 6.49 * 4.03.

That's not necessarily wrong, but it's seriously incomplete. It's a bit like thinking you are buying a performance car because it has 5-spoke alloy wheels (like many Ferrari, Porsche and other high performance cars). So does this:

Monaco%20White.png

Which is a perfectly fine car - with 5 spoke alloys - but not quite what one would call a performance car.

I first thought that I will buy the ring alone from B2C and diamond from adaimor (since that diamond had the highest level of cut (Affinity cut) and had nice pics. B2C's version of ideal cut is perfection and I did not find any good ones in B2C.)

Be careful with marketing. "Affinity" is nothing but a marketing label. At the very least, look at them (in real life, not "nice photos") against other well cut diamonds before you decide you must pay the premium

The same goes for the "Perfection" collection at B2C. The fact that they haven't got anything in the collection that suits does not mean they haven't got (or cannot get) very well cut diamonds in the size/colour/clarity you want. It's all marketing: you can find the same stones (or possibly even better ones) through other vendors.

So you are saying that I can ask B2c to buy a diamond from adaimor and do the mounting in their ring??? I will check with them.

No, what Neil is saying is that neither Adiamor nor B2C own the diamonds they advertise. The diamonds belong to third parties (wholesalers, cutters) who will provide them to many retailers on demand, so it is perfectly possible that B2C can get hold of a specific diamond that is currently advertised "somewhere else" (e.g. Adiamor).

But to answer your question about what i am thinking, i wanted cut, clarity, measurement, color and carat ( 1+). (in that order).

Thank you for your guidance.

As Neil said, "buy what you like" - but before you do, I think you owe it to yourself to go out and check what the difference between D and G (or H, I, J) looks like, what the difference between VVS1, VS1 and SI1 looks like, and what difference does cut make.

The resale marketplace for diamonds is a mess.  Contrary to popular opinion, 'investment' grade diamonds are not especially easy to sell.  They're actually harder than most because the budgets are higher and it narrows down the list of potential buyers.  A hypothetical customer who buys a stone on one day and sells it the next (ignoring the possibility of a simple return of course), will typically to lose half of the money.  That's with no problems, buying reasonably well and selling reasonably well.  If people pay too much, sell too cheap or otherwise run into trouble it get's even worse.  If people are good at sales or just a bit lucky they'll do a little better. 

This isn't as grim as most of the things you buy, try selling a piece of electronics, food or clothing as a private party and see how the finances look but the conclusion is unmistakable.  This is not a bank account.  Do not go into this deal thinking you'll ever see your money again. 

If you haven't already done so, go look at some real diamonds.  Even if you end up buying online, this is not a deal that can be done entirely that way.  You need to know if YOU can see and care about the difference between an D and an H, much less a D and an F.  Believe it or not, some people actually prefer the warmer colors. The fact that they're cheaper is just a bonus.

Cutting has a similar problem.  GIAx is a very broad target and you'll find lots of people, including us, who want to narrow that down.  Identifying the 'most excellent' is tricky.  Ignore the dimensions.  That's already encompassed in the excellent grade.  Dealers routinely offer this as a service and part of their branded lines and to some extent it's worth it but that gets into the problem of shopping strategy.  Turning yourself into a DIY diamond grader works for some people and not others.  It's a learning curve, it takes some practice and it takes actually looking at diamonds.  Another option is to go with AGS lab grading which has a much narrower focus on their top grade (Ideal). All of the same dealers can get them.

My suggestion:

1) Go shopping. Leave the credit card at home and visit some of the bigger stores in your area. Look at colors, shapes, sizes, clarities and just get a feel for what we're talking about.  Compare an E to an H. Compare an IF to an SI1.  Look at some excellent and good cuts and see what they look like.

2) Pick a dealer.  It may may not be one that you visited but view the dealer as your ally in this search, not the opponent.  It may be B2C, it may not.  Pick them based on the merits of the dealer, not the specs of a particular stone.

3) Zero in on your parameters.  As mentioned above, the difference between D/IF and G/VS1 is more than double and there are literally thousands to choose from.  You need to narrow this down. Would you rather have a D/VS1, a G/IF or a G/VS2 with a bunch of change left over?  It's a $10,000 topic.

4) Talk to your dealer about it.  View them as an ally in this, not the opponent.  You can get an independent appraisal done later as a cross check to confirm or refute whatever doesn't make sense to you.  Trust, then verify.