Hi, I Need Your Opinion On This.. Tnx

mike

Hi Mike, I'm sorry, but I'm going to answer your question with a few more questions, otherwise it's a bit of a "How long is a piece of string?" issue:

1) What are shape, size and intended destination of the diamond(s)? A 0.50 princess cut set in a pendant is one thing; a 3 carat emerald cut in a solitaire ring is another.

2) Who is grading the diamonds F, G or J? And VVS1 or SI1?

3) Why do you call "VS1" low clarity? Have you seen and examined a properly graded VS1 diamond? What about SI1 or VVS1?

4) Have you seen correctly graded F, G and J colour diamonds? Which ones do you prefer?

5) What about H or I colour? Why go from G to J?

6) What about cut quality? (For me, it may well come down to this, rather than anything to do with colour or clarity)

In general, (unless you have a specific personal reason) VS1 to SI2 clarity in GIA graded diamonds are eye clean and suitable. The EGL grading system is more lenient and if your intent is a face up white diamond, you will have to stay in the D-E-F color range.

More important for consideration is the cut quality of the diamond as this critically affects the face up look, i.e.; brightness, sparkle, contrast brilliance, and dispersive quality of the diamond. Diamond shape is also an important consideration as light refraction and face up brightness differs between the various diamond shapes.

In addition, you do not indicate what type of setting you've chosen. For example, if it is a Halo/Bezel style ring where the bezel metal covers the circumference of the center stone, and where the surrounding accent diamonds are G-H in color, it is best not to go lower than GIA grade G color as the bezel metal will tend to make the diamond face up darker than its actual color. In prong style settings, a well cut GIA graded J-K-L color may indeed face up white, especially in a yellow gold setting.

Hello David and Barry,

Here are the details:

1) Round shape between 1.5ct to 2ct for stud earrings.

2)  GIA grading

3) i mean lower clarity :-)

6) cut quality is triple excellent

I'm quite confused because i wanted the J color FL but the seller has suggested instead of a higher color but lower quality saying this latter combination is a lot better and that FL is overkill. Hope to read your views on this.

Thank you for your time...

Mike

Hi Mike, I'm sorry, but I'm going to answer your question with a few more questions, otherwise it's a bit of a "How long is a piece of string?" issue:

1) What are shape, size and intended destination of the diamond(s)? A 0.50 princess cut set in a pendant is one thing; a 3 carat emerald cut in a solitaire ring is another.

2) Who is grading the diamonds F, G or J? And VVS1 or SI1?

3) Why do you call "VS1" low clarity? Have you seen and examined a properly graded VS1 diamond? What about SI1 or VVS1?

4) Have you seen correctly graded F, G and J colour diamonds? Which ones do you prefer?

5) What about H or I colour? Why go from G to J?

6) What about cut quality? (For me, it may well come down to this, rather than anything to do with colour or clarity)

In general, (unless you have a specific personal reason) VS1 to SI2 clarity in GIA graded diamonds are eye clean and suitable. The EGL grading system is more lenient and if your intent is a face up white diamond, you will have to stay in the D-E-F color range.

More important for consideration is the cut quality of the diamond as this critically affects the face up look, i.e.; brightness, sparkle, contrast brilliance, and dispersive quality of the diamond. Diamond shape is also an important consideration as light refraction and face up brightness differs between the various diamond shapes.

In addition, you do not indicate what type of setting you've chosen. For example, if it is a Halo/Bezel style ring where the bezel metal covers the circumference of the center stone, and where the surrounding accent diamonds are G-H in color, it is best not to go lower than GIA grade G color as the bezel metal will tend to make the diamond face up darker than its actual color. In prong style settings, a well cut GIA graded J-K-L color may indeed face up white, especially in a yellow gold setting.