Is This Emerald Cut Diamond Ring A Good Deal?

legallyblonde

the main diamond is between 1.45 and 1.55.carats measuring 7.91 x 5.90 x3.69mm with a color between G and I and a clarity between VVS1 and VS1. The ring is a parade design platinum ring with 76 round brilliant cut diamonds weighing a total of .42 carats and 2 straight baguette cut diamonds weighing a total of .15 ct  all with the color G and clarity of SI1. It is accompanied by an EGL diamond grading report #IL960031488. It is appraised at $19,705.00 with an asking price of $18, 500.00.

I'm going to guess that this appraiser is not working for you.  Do you even know who they are?  You're relying quite heavily on their grading and pricing opinions and it seems important, no?

The same applies to EGL Israel (that's what the IL means).  You're betting rather heavily on their grading.  You can use the database at the top of the page titled 'diamond finder' to see what comparable stones cost from the dealers here.   That'll just get you a comp on the center stone, the rest is a bit trickier, but usually the center stone is the bulk of the money on this sort of thing.

For example, Here's a 1.50 I/VS2/EGLI emerald cut for $3910.

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/E150-1CXVU1?cid=diamondreview

Note: In no way am I recommending this stone.  I would NEVER buy a stone based on an EGLI grading.  It's certain to have a problem and the only debate is what that problem is.  The only reason I bring it up is that what you're comparing to is also graded by them.

Edited by denverappraiser

Have you actually seen the diamond in person or at the very least pictures of the actual diamond?  Based on years of dealing with EGL grading, everything that has been discussed on this forum and all the uproar about their inconsistent grading, we tend to translate an EGL report (especially EGL-Israel) by dropping the color two to three shades and the clarity by two grades as well.  Using this lens, I would expect this stone to actually be an I/J - I1.  Anything better would surprise me. Searching the Diamond Finder above, you will quickly see that this stone is no bargain.  My first question is critical:  if you have seen the diamond, does it appear yellow (a G should be white) and were you able to see any flaws within the stone?  In an emerald cut, especially as the stones get larger, flaws are easier to see.  The tendency is to get a cleaner stone when buying a step-cut diamond as the inclusions (flaws) are not masked by the brilliant faceting.  Even if, as some of my colleagues might argue, I am being too harsh on the clarity aspect and I should expect it to be only one clarity down, the price is still too high.

I urge you to see the diamond in person before making any decisions.  If you still hesitate, finding an independent appraiser who can advise you would be a very smart expense that will eventually save you money.

Good luck.