Need Some Helps With Diamond Selection

freewind

Hi

I am current looking for a princess diamond around $8000. I dont want to sacrifice the cut quality so I would try to stay with excellent cut. Diamond weight is 1 cat. What I am unsure for is how to balance between the clarity and colour. Here are the two diamonds that I looked at. 

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=5161556513

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2186416294

Which one is more preferred? Or should I lower both clarity and colour to pick up a larger diamond? Thank for the advices 

Edited by freewind

Working links:

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=5161556513

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2186416294

However the issue is that:

1. You know very little about the cut of these diamonds. Who has called them "excellent" cut, and what did they mean by that? GIA does not grade cut for any shape/cutting style other than modern round brilliant.

2. You are very unlikely to see the difference between them in terms of colour OR clarity, once they are set and you don't have the other one right next to compare colours.

Whether you should lower clarity, colour or both and go for larger size is something that only you can answer. Most people cannot see that much of a difference between D and H... nor can they see the inclusions in an SI1 without a loupe.

Thank for the answering. Then, what should I look out for when picking a diamond? If D is a over kill, does that mean H or G is enough combo with SI1?  In addition, if cut property is not quantitatively determined, what are the other aspects of the diamond should I look for?

Edited by freewind

F-G-H color

VS1 to SI2 Clarity

will give you an excellent range to start.

Cut Quality:  Very Good to Excellent.

Edited by barry

Barry - the issue is: who is going to give a grade of "Very good" or "Excellent" on a princess cut?

Freewind: I think you are trying to do things in the wrong order:

1. Determine what are your important criteria.

2. If cut is one of them (and I would recommend it is), pick a dealer that can help you with more information than what is on the report.

3. Go on with the selection.

Edited by davidelevi

Additional information such as? (I know, and I know that you know, but I don't think that playing the Zen gnostic is helping the OP out of his predicament. The issue is that based on the posted info neither of us knows WHO issued that cut "grade")

(Apologies; inadvertently deleted previous post instead of editing)

Photo

Video

Idealscope

ASET

Vendor's description of how the diamond faces up, i.e.; sparkle, brightness, contrast brilliance, and suitability for the customer's ring setting.

Some diamonds may be more suitable for prong settings than for halo-bezel styles and vice versa.

Hi Freewind,

Unfortunately, as Davide has pointed out there is no quantitative measure for cut when it comes to princess cuts and as Barry points out, it is up to a qualified, experienced vendor to give you an accurate assessment and description of the stone's sparkle.  All the tools Barry points to can be very useful as well, but they are not always available and most of us in the industry have lived without them. That said, it would be useful for you to have an idea of what an experienced merchant looks for when looking for a nice princess.  Ultimately we look at the actual stone but when we have a multitude to sift through the following are some of the things we zero in on.  This is not a foolproof guide but it is a way of weeding out stones that we would not like.

1) we like a depth between 66% and 74%

2) we prefer tables between 60% and 73% and like when the table % is smaller than the depth as it helps focus the scintillation.

3) polish and symmetry should be excellent or very good.

4) we prefer square stones but we will usually look at stones that are a little off-square; a ration of 1.1:1 or lower, unless a customer specifically requests a rectangular stone.

I am not saying that these are must have numbers, but simply that these are some of the basic rules we follow when trying to find a nice princess cut stone.

I hope this helps.