Advice On This .70 J/vvs1 Cushion?

winterwhite

I stumbled upon this J/VVS1 cushion the other day. Full disclosure, I've already purchased this diamond, but it is returnable. I've never seen a cushion cut like it, and it's the first one that really appealed to me, as well as being something that's different from the standard round, but keeping away from the "crushed ice" cushions.

SbrazbSl.png

I think it looks lovely, but can anyone advise me about how this cut of cushion performs? In all my hunting I have not found this cut referenced on any of the "education" sites about cushion cuts. Since cushions can vary so much, I worry I've stumbled upon something "unique and leaky."

0.70 J/VVS1 GIA

Depth %: 67.9

Table %: 55

Polish: EX

Symmetry: VG

Fluor: None

5.33x5.29x3.59

$1980

Additionally, if I like this stone, how can I identify this cut so I could have a vendor try to locate one that is larger and/or whiter? The large internet vendor selling this stone doesn't have anything above 0.72ct, and without pictures it's impossible to identify any others unless I can somehow describe the cut and send a vendor on a goose chase for others.

It seems to be a "traditional" cushion faceting style, with broad lower girdle facets which result in broader flashes of light rather than the pinfire of crushed ice. It's definitely not a "unique" stone, though the fashion for cutting nowadays seems to be sitting at the "crushed ice" extreme or at the "old mine" extreme:

3391_thumbnail_image.jpg vs. 3474_thumbnail_image.jpg

How it performs depends on the individual stone, and is not something you can predict from a single photo.

With a bit of luck, the GIA report is not a Diamond Dossier, and therefore has the faceting pattern diagram - it is not a foolproof method of identification, and individual stones with the same facet pattern will vary a lot in looks (see below), but it at least allows you and the vendor to narrow down stones that are likely to be similar. These two (according to GIA) have the same facet pattern:

r6229-canary-cushion-diamond.jpgr4925-cushion-diamond-ab.jpg

reports:

r6229-cert.jpgr4925cert.jpg

The narrow table (<58%) and squareness are also distinguishing characteristics, though again not foolproof tests.

So, as a "recipe" for finding others, you have three paths/steps:

1. Start from square stones with small tables.

2. Check faceting pattern - it's probably something like this:

post-11046-0-56132800-1423041886.jpg

3. Ask the vendor to check for a stone with broad faceting and large flashes as opposed to pinfire

Edited by davidelevi

At this point, wait and take a look at it in person. There's no value in beating your head against it now. Yes, it's a bit on the deep side and it's sort of an unusual color/clarity combination but neither of those is a deal killer and all of that get's trumped by what you think of it 'live and in person.'