Si2 Diamond

mkl9188

Hi mlk9188,

The chances of crystals and feathers affecting the structural integrity of your SI2 diamond are no very high. Generally, these inclusions can have impact of diamond longevity in the I2 or I3 clarity ranges. SI2 is just fine and most likely will not be at risk. I've never come across an SI2 diamond that "broke" due to feathers or crystals. Without having seen the diamond or a certificate with a diamond plot, I'd still say you'll most likely be fine.

Thank you,

Anubh

Unfortunately you have not given us enough information to give you advice on.  Feathers, if they are in the wrong place can expand due to the occasional knock or in the setting process if the setter does not know what he is doing.  Alternatively they can be completely harmless.  If you could attach the grading report, we might be able to give you better advice.

The report shows nice proportions but as you have probably noticed, it does not have a plot of the inclusions.  I think you should be able to attach an image if you hit the "more reply options" below.  There are others on this forum who post more pictures and can probably help you a little more specifically.

This image shows a very clean center which is exactly what you want in an SI2; inclusions to bring the price down, but set off to the side as not to be easily visible to the naked eye.  As you are concerned with the durability, in this case, the grade setting inclusion is near the girdle (edge of the stone) at 7 o'clock.  It appears to be a feather that reaches the surface and is either very near or open to the girdle.  This is where experience in the setting process becomes a factor.  Ideally the setter will place a prong over the inclusion to further mask it from view.  Most setters can accomplish this easily, however, there are some less experienced setters who might make the mistake of applying direct heat and pressure to this particular area.  If that is the case, there is a risk with this kind of inclusion that the feather could expand into the stone.  I like the diamond and would not advise against it, but I would discuss this issue with the vendor and have the diamond photographed or appraised after setting to verify that no such expansion occurred.

I went with it. All specs taken into account, and thoroughly researching the topic, I thought for the money it was worth it. Everything else in my price range had larger inclusions and were more centered. Plus, the customer service of this company walked me through the whole process and went so far as to get me a picture, have a gemologist check it, and do those light tests (not sure the technical term). My setter, who I am also buying the setting from, has over 20yrs experience and he has assured me he can cover that inclusion at 7oclock with a prong. I browsed all the websites I could find and this provided the best deal. I sacrificed a little on clarity and color so that the cut, symmetry, polish and brilliance would be better. Plus, the side stones in the setting are G,H,I, so it should blend nicely. Thanks for the help and advice. I hope it works out, this company has a 30 day return policy with free shipping back, so I figured it was a no lose to at least buy it and take it by my jeweler.  

Thanks! I'm excited and relieved. I have been researching this for weeks, browsing tons of articles and websites. This one was a great match, so I jumped on it after I went to the jeweler last night to ensure the size would fit okay into the setting and look good. He set one a bit smaller in DIA and it looked great. I think she'll love it. I appreciate all the help on this forum, helped ease my mind about this choice.