Perfect To The Naked Eye

honest Charlie

first I want to say thank you for providing this forum to research.

Now after visiting several stores and seeing lots of Diamonds it seems as I look at more diamonds the more I see in the diamonds...

I'm glad I didn't buy one the first day but the more I get into it the thicker it gets and the more the budget grows.

Please help me to select a diamond that is perfect to the naked eye.

My budget went from 2k to 4k but is flexible. I would rather spend more for quality but I don't need perfect under a 10x loop...

I was thinking .07 to .80 round cut but am flexible on that too.

Sorry if too vague

Thanks in advance

Charlie

post-134804-0-04732200-1421944450_thumb.png

Yes, that is a bit too vague, but a budget of $4k should get you a really nicely cut 0.7x G-H VS2 which will look white and will have no inclusions visible to the naked eye. Perfect? It depends on what you mean by that term.

BTW - there is quite a lot more to diamonds than clarity, not least because as you noted people normally don't go around with a loupe, but you do see the cut (and ensuing brilliance, fire and contrast) without it!

Hello,

I think seeing too many stones might actually be adversely affecting your choice. I would take a step back and solidify your budget. If you're looking for below $4k, based on the search criteria you shared, you should find plenty of great round stones G-F color and VVS2-VVS1 clarity.

VVS2 or above clarity should accomplish your goal of not seeing any inclusions from the naked eye. I'd say VVS2 or above are as close to "perfect" as you might require, while still allowing you to improve another one of the 4 C's. 

In this range of clarity, you can comfortably go with F/G color (both will look colorless or near colorless). The size range will also work for 0.80+ carat. I think 0.90ct would be stretching it a bit and exceed your budget, holding the color and clarity that high.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Anubh

Four Mine

Gemologist

www.fourmine.com

VVS2 or above clarity should accomplish your goal of not seeing any inclusions from the naked eye. 

With respect, Anubh, but I disagree that VVS clarity (in a correctly graded stone, and particularly in a relatively small one) is necessary to have no inclusions visible to the naked eye. Most SI1 are eye clean, and that's 3 grades below VVS2.

Edited by davidelevi

I would expand a little beyond Anubh's clarity range.  As long as we are discussing GIA graded diamonds in the 0.8 to 1.0 range, you can assume that anything VS1 and even 95% of VS2 diamonds will be clean to the naked eye.  I would stretch that even further to include most SI1 stones, but if you don't want to go through the effort of sorting out the eye visible ones, VS2 and up can be considered eye clean. 

I hope this helps.

Edited by GeorgeDI

George,

I respectfully disagree that most SI1's are eye clean. Plenty of VS2 diamonds have black crystal's in the center that are eye visible.

If someone is really looking for quality and is nervous about the inclusion potentially showing, why go in that direction? I think the peace of mind of the VVS2 is more important. Personally, I think VS1 or better should take care honest Charlie's concern; however, I would never advise going low then having it sit in the back of your mind that you should've just gotten the higher clarity diamond. Ultimately, it's a preference.

Perhaps, we may have to just agree to disagree :)

Thank you,

Anubh

In a .70 - .80 i would say 98% of SI1's are eye clean. If we were talking about a bigger diamond, of course this changes, like in 3 carat diamonds, SI1 is a bit less likely to be eye clean...

Davide, is absolutely right, most SI1's are eye clean in the .70-.80 range, even up to 2 carats in my experience. 

Please note, my advice is based on Round Diamonds. 

I'm with the above, correctly graded SI1's in that size range are nearly always 'eye clean', no matter who's eyes and no matter the lighting.  In every case you want to make a personal inspection and approval part of the shopping process so, in the case of online shopping, this means you are relying on the presence of a return policy and you may end up paying a few dozen dollars for shipping but I think Joshua's 2% may even be high.  This particular risk is really quite low if you're using a credible grading lab (GIA or AGS).  BTW, there are 2 full grades on an 11 step scale between SI1 and VVS2.  You've got a lot of room. 

Edited by denverappraiser

I agree, my figure is high, I really have yet to see an inclusion with the naked eye (GIA of course) in an SI1 under 1 carat... I just hear about this rogue/mythological SI1's that are not eye clean, but it seems to me that this is psychosomatic, i.e. if I show you the cert and then all of a sudden you can see the inclusions vs me asking you to guess the clarity with your naked eye or tell you its a VVS to see if you can see the inclusion or not with your naked eye....

I think a lot of this has to do with all the misinformation available  online, to mislead you into buying a diamond with better clarity, for more money... And the idea of the diamond being "mind clean"...

To us clarity = rarity, not beauty. And even then, I cant really quantify how rare VS, VVS diamonds are in relation to SI1... Essentially you are paying for something microscopically more rare. 

I love when people come to my office and we play the guess the color/clarity game... They are always shocked (and wrong)... Plenty of myths need to be busted when it comes to diamonds and their beauty, and this is one of them.

Edited by Joshua Niamehr
  • Like 1

Neil, Joshua and Davide are correct in that the vast majority of SI1 stones in the 0.8 size range are eye clean.  The vast majority is not all inclusive and this is why a good return policy is essential.  I will say that even in these sizes, there can be eye visible inclusions.  This is rare but it happens.

Let me put it another way. I have never seen an eye visible VS2 in an 0.8 but I have rejected SI1s because of eye visible issues (this includes clouds).

Edited by GeorgeDI

Hi,

I agree with Joshua that plenty of people purchasing a diamond tend to fall prey to mind games and their eyes playing tricks on them. We too see plenty of people that see things that aren't actually in the diamond. 

I do think though that if someone is inclined toward a higher clarity grade though, it's not a bad thing. There are myths about the visibility of inclusions; I don't think though that jewelers generally intend to "trick" people into buying higher clarity diamonds. Again, it is based on preference. Many shoppers place varying emphasis on the different C's. If someone wants perfect clarity and that gives them peace of mind and happiness in relation to their diamond, I say go for it!

Thanks,

Anubh