Damaged Stone

GIAfan

Hello All. 

I have a 3.8mm .19 carat untreated dual colored stone. I really love the look of the stone but their is a small chip on the crown :( what is the best thing to do with this stone? is it too small to repair? or too cost ineffective? The stone is not worth that much but looks amazing. A good jeweler can cover the chip but is it a good idea?   :unsure:  P.S. Glad to see one of the admins are local in Denver!  

Almost anything can be done, but...

1. No-one can tell you much without seeing the stone (and preferably being a cutter/lapidary).

2. You may judge the cost and/or decrease in size/weight being/not being worth your while.

3. If you intend setting the stone anyway, getting the setting to cover the chip has no counterindication, other than the fact you know the stone is chipped.

Neil may have a better idea of who may be able to help you directly (i.e. a local cutter in Denver) - but please tell us if the stone is a diamond ("dual coloured" makes me think it's a tourmaline or anyway not a diamond).

Economically, recutting isn't likely to make sense but people do it on little stones for sentimental reasons all the time.  Recutting starts at a couple of hundred dollars.   Most cutters don't want to work with individuals but it's easy enough if you get a jeweler or appraiser involved.  If you're local in Denver I'll be happy to help.

Davide asked the most important question: what kind of stone is it?  If it is not diamond, re-cutting should cost less.  If the chip is minor, re-cutting which is fairly involved, may be too radical an option.  A small repair creating an extra facet may be all that is needed.  As Neil points out, seek the advice of an expert as a first step and then make your decision.

Good luck,

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the chip on your colored stone. When you say dual colored, you mean something like a multi-colored tourmaline?

Anytime you put a stone on a wheel for recutting or polishing, you take risks and incur cost (both in dollars and weight loss). Repairing a chip on the crown will probably cost you at least a point (0.01ct) and of course labor. Because it is a colored stone (and even if it were a diamond), I would advise against trying to recut the stone to remove the chip, purely from a value perspective.

Thank you,

Anubh

Yes my apologies to everyone. I can't believe I didn't mention that the "stone" is a Diamond! I feel like a doof. although I do have a Alexandrite that too has color change so I totally understand the confusion. Thank you Neil for the invite for your professional opinion I think I will get a hold of you soon to seek your advise in person. I hope this diamond does not waist your time. it's included cut is VG color is fiery yellow and white. I'm gonna leave the value TBD by a professional Appraiser but my guess under $100???post-134799-0-64888800-1421751205.jpg

Thank you for clarifying.  That does indeed look like a good chip but given the location and the actual stone I would caution against repairing it.  If this stone were not as included, this could be repaired giving you a slightly out of round stone but with minimal cost or weight loss.  If keeping the stone round were important, then a regirdling and recutting would be needed but there would be some weight loss.  However, seeing the inclusions in this diamond an especially the feathers that seem to run throughout the stone, I would not risk putting it back on the wheel.  There is a significant risk of the feathers expanding during the repair process which could result in a total loss.  If you plan on setting the diamond, the location of the chip makes it very easy to cover with a prong.

The core question here is this.  Why?  What are you hopping to accomplish?  In terms of finances, meaning your ability to sell it, it's going to be a loser.  In terms of the look of the piece, it's extremely likely a setter will be able to mount it in a way that makes it very difficult to spot.  Repair comes with some risks and, at the least, it costs money and it makes the stone smaller.  Would you love it better if it was undamaged but smaller?  Would you be terribly upset if it were destroyed during the cutting process?  (yes, that's a risk.  NO cutter will guarantee against further damage during the process).