Would Really Appreciate A Response... Anyone?

ayushkhatri

I bought this 1.81 H VS1 HCA 1.8 (LIGHT RETURN VG , FIRE AND SCINT EX, SPREAD VG)

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Round/GIA-Certified-1,81-Carat-H-Color-VS1-Clarity-Diamond-AS2QGQ

PRICE $14,600

TRIPLE EX

MEASUREMENTS: 7.75MM X 7.81 X 4.82 MM

FAINT BLUE FLOURESCENCE

TABLE 58% ;  DEPTH 62%

CROWN ANGLE 35 ; PAVILION ANGLE 40.8

CROWN HEIGHT 15%

GIRDLE: MED TO SL THK

also it says in additional comments on GIA report: additional clouds not shown ..

I HAVEN'T SEEN THE STONE IN PERSON AS YET BUT LOOKS GOOD FROM IMAGES AND SARINE LIGHT REPORT....THOUGHTS ?? DID I GET A GOOD DEAL ?

additional super zoomed in image attached

post-134503-0-77929300-1420685662_thumb.jpg

Many of us have been away for the holidays and are just trying to catch up on accumulated work.  Based on the info you have provided and comparing to a search of similar stones on the DiamondFinder, it seems that the price you have paid is more than reasonable.  Indeed, when I did the search the price range went from $16,100 to $22,000, so you should be quite happy with $14,600.  I would not be concerned with the additional clouds comment on a GIA VS1.  If the stone was an SI1 ro 2 with that comment, I would insist on seeing it in person before making a commitment, but in a VS1 I would assume it to be a non-issue.

Good luck.

Many of us have been away for the holidays and are just trying to catch up on accumulated work.  Based on the info you have provided and comparing to a search of similar stones on the DiamondFinder, it seems that the price you have paid is more than reasonable.  Indeed, when I did the search the price range went from $16,100 to $22,000, so you should be quite happy with $14,600.  I would not be concerned with the additional clouds comment on a GIA VS1.  If the stone was an SI1 ro 2 with that comment, I would insist on seeing it in person before making a commitment, but in a VS1 I would assume it to be a non-issue.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate it very much ! Do you like the specs and dimensions of the stone (angles, table depth etc for optimum light performance? Sarine light report looks good ? )

On the surface I see no problems with the specs of the stone.  It seems to be very well cut.  I do not use either the HCA or Sarine technologies so I cannot comment on them, but as I said, the specs as outlined on the grading report are good.

Edited by GeorgeDI
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I finally saw the stone TWO times...once at night in their office and yesterday during the day in natural light (but in their office since it has multiple windows allowing light in )....its good but 2 things are really bothering me...

(1) under certain white light the H looks more like an I and I can see a little yellow tinge. But in other lights its white face up. So lets call it an H- color. clarity wise the stone is awesome.

(2) when I look straight face up at the table, I see a lot of contrast in the table area (for example, its much blacker .... ) I compared this stone with a NEAR identical 1.82 H VS2 with NO flourescence (mine has faint) and that stone (price $1000 more and already sold :/) is whiter face up but also I can see straight at the culet thru the table so its MUCH clearer and less contrasty (black shadows) than my stone. Is this a big deal  or am I just overthinking?

Other than the above, the stone is great. excellent sparkle. nice size...Im just concerned about the color and the shadowy thing that I mention in (2) above.

Please provide your expert thoughts if u dont mind. I'd really appreciate it.

By definition, each colour grade is a range. There are H that barely miss being G, and those that barely miss being I; the only way to know where "yours" is, is to see the stone and compare it to properly graduated masters. Also, sensitivity to colour is a very individual thing, and some people are definitely more sensitive than others - if you want to test yourself, here is a fun test to do: http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?pageid=77〈=en

Contrast - again, this requires seeing the stone to comment, but in general:

1. Fluorescence has nothing to do with it. Zero.

2. By and large, it's a personal preference. I like contrast - in fact I like chunks and flashes more than a uniformly bright overall sparkliness - but that doesn't make me right. Is it a big deal? Depends on your preference!!!

Edited by davidelevi

By definition, each colour grade is a range. There are H that barely miss being G, and those that barely miss being I; the only way to know where "yours" is, is to see the stone and compare it to properly graduated masters. Also, sensitivity to colour is a very individual thing, and some people are definitely more sensitive than others - if you want to test yourself, here is a fun test to do: http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?pageid=77〈=en

Contrast - again, this requires seeing the stone to comment, but in general:

1. Fluorescence has nothing to do with it. Zero.

2. By and large, it's a personal preference. I like contrast - in fact I like chunks and flashes more than a uniformly bright overall sparkliness - but that doesn't make me right. Is it a big deal? Depends on your preference!!!

Thank you so much for your response. Im guessing once mounted it should be fine.... Im going to go with it. Ive spent far too much time on this process....dont want to lose the girl. lol

The 1.82 is someone else's stone that you can compare in the same lighting or are you looking at pictures?

Diamonds are, fundamentally, a bundle of mirrors and windows.  What you see when you look into a diamond is the same thing you would see if you looked into a mirror.  That is to say a reflection of the ceiling above your head, the light source, yourself, and whatever else is in the environment at the time.  This image is broken up into many pieces and shuffled so you don't recognize it but, for example, if you looked at a diamond while wearing a red hat and a blue mask, you would see various red and blue 'sparkles' in it.

When you look at two different diamonds in identical lighting, you're seeing the same image but the shuffling is different.  Which ones are red changes.  Whether the red ones are big or little changes.  Changing the direction (looking from something other than a 90 degree angle) makes a big difference.  All of this changes the look of the stone a surprising amount.  That's not to say one is better than the other, just that they are different. 

The dark shadow you see in the center is, in general, a reflection of yourself.  It's known as 'head obstruction'.  In most lighting, the light source is in the ceiling above you and your head is a big opaque object placed right in the middle, a foot or so away.  Let's go back to the image in a simple mirror.  Your head is a dark spot right in the middle and the ceiling above you is bright. Shuffle that and you get contrast.  Change the viewing angle by even a few degrees and you'll notice it changes everything. You are no longer in the middle.  Change it enough and you're not in the image at all.  It also changes if you hold the stone farther away or if you move the light.

I understand that none of this is answering your question.  I'm just explaining what you're seeing.  It's not a defect and it's not a feature until we add the variable of what you like better.  After you get past pure light return questions, this is fundamentally a matter of taste.  There is no straight answer.

Edited by denverappraiser

As Davide points out, color grading is subjective and each color grade covers a small range of hues.  The two stones you are comparing may be at the extreme edges of the the H grade and only you can decide how much the color does or does not bother you.  As for the darker, more contrasty center, that is something you will have to decide on as well.  The numbers on the grading report look fine but sometimes they are not perfect for every type of light source.  Was the contrast visible in both lighting situations?  ......It looks like Neil just addressed the cause of the darker center.

I agree with Davide, you are putting a lot of good effort to find her perfect stone.  Don't feel pressured.  You have to be happy with your purchase.

Good luck.

ps: Davide, thank you for that color link.  It's a great test but the results will change depending on the screen you use and the brightness adjustments as well.

Edited by GeorgeDI

The problem with comparing photographs for this sort of thing, especially if we're talking about photos from different sources, is that you don't know all of the variables.  The camera is looking with one 'eye', in an unknown lighting environment, and from an unknown distance.  It's not that the photographers are being deceptive (necessarily), it's just that you don't know what you're looking at. 

ps: Davide, thank you for that color link.  It's a great test but the results will change depending on the screen you use and the brightness adjustments as well.

You are welcome. I agree, a small difference in result is not a reliable indicator (I found a version with monitor calibration too, but can no longer find it!), but a score in the low 10s vs. one in the low hundreds is probably indicative that there is some difference in the ability to discriminate ;)

Edited by davidelevi

• 1 month later...

The color test could  have been more fun if you knew your percentile score.  I got a 31,  which would appear to be towards the more sensitive end of the scale but that doesn't tell how you rate compared to others in your age group.   It's possible that  most other people in my age group also get around 10  which would really make my score less sensitive than average.  

On the other hand if the maximum sensitivity is 0,  the minimum is 1530  and one assumes a bell shaped curve then the average is  730  which would make 31 astoundingly sensitive.   It would also be interesting to add a time element. 

Whatever, it was fun to take.

Perhaps not very clear, but the white bar "0-99" you see at the bottom of the stats screen is the percentile score; the green blob is "your" score. This said, I'd take it with a grain of salt, given all the issues with monitor calibration, lighting etc.

Edited by davidelevi