Is There A Difference Between Aig And Gia Appraisals?

jpleda

I guess that depends on what you’re looking for.  GIA doesn’t do appraisals, meaning they don’t include a value on their reports.  They don’t inspect anything other than gemstones, for example jewelry.  If you're looking for an opinion on the grading of an unmounted gemstone, they're the best regarded outfit in the industry. 

Anyone who wants to can make up a three letter acronym and call themselves a gem lab or appraiser.  You’re welcome to believe them or not as you wish.  I would humbly suggest  that the burden is on them to convince you that their opinions have merit and the default answer is no.  That’s true even if it’s me (or GIA for that matter).  So has AIG done this?  What have you found that convinces you to care a whit what they think?

A further note:  GIA is actually a college.  The Gemological Institute of America.  A lot of people went there.  I went there.  Graduating from college, any college, does not make you a representative of that college.  An opinion of a GIA graduate is not the same thing as an opinion by the GIA grading lab.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...