A Little Help?

Superman911

Do you know what the stated grade of  'SI1(clarity enhanced)' means?

Do you know who GIE is?  

The first one, yes i understand, basically the diamond is likely a I1/i2 originally and its been fracture filled. GIE I'd never heard of but apprently its some european grading.

The second ring is graded by EGL which i believe is more widely recognised? 

I don't see any mention of EGL in the ad but no, I don't count them as reliable.  I've never heard of GIE, which doesn't make them bad, but the burden is on them to convince you that their opinions have merit.  The default answer is no.  Anyone who wants to can call themselves a gem lab and they can produce whatever opinions they want.  Given that you don't know who they are and aren't even the client, I would ignore them.  

Edited by denverappraiser

I"ll let Davide defend his own statements.  

No need to send me the cert.  I"m not going to give you an analysis of it anyway.  Again, I don't find EGL documents to be very useful for learning much of anything about a stone and even less about a ring. 

There's simply not enough information to answer that.  We don't know the grading, we don't know the condition, and we know nothing at all about the craftsmanship.  We don't even really know the weight of the center stones.  That doesn't leave much that we DO know.  Are they gold?  Probably.   I'm just guessing here.  Are they diamonds?  Probably. Would a high street jewelry store charge you more than that?  Probably, although mostly this isn't what they sell.  Most of what they do sell costs more than that.  Is that what you mean by 'good value'?

Again, that's not what what most jewelry stores sell but, around here, a 0.57/I3/F would go for about $250.  The lightest possible mounting with an I3 ten pointer on either side maybe $400.  On the other hand, a decently well cut 0.57/I1/E in a nicely crafted mounting with nice looking 0.10's on the side and in a specialty jewelry store may very well go for upwards of $3000.  Many will give you a supposedly free appraisal that says it's 'worth' twice that although they don't usually devote much effort to explaining what they're talking about.  That's a big range, and that's the problem.   Tiny details matter disproportionately in this business.  

• Like 1