Which Stone Should I Buy ?

ayushkhatri

It depends on what your priorities and likes/dislikes are:

The 1.73 is marginally smaller, possibly a little brighter but likely with less fire, and (it seems, from a single photo) slightly less symmetrical in pattern. It's also a thousand bucks cheaper.

Both diamonds are well cut, fairly priced and with one vendor. Ask Joshua to call them in and tell you what he likes and dislikes about each.

May I ask what's the reasoning behind I/VVS2? It is not a typical "value seeking" combination, but VVS2 brings you no visual advantage over (say) a well chosen SI1, yet it is 20% more expensive.

Edit: added missing "t" in last paragraph.

Edited by davidelevi

Thanks for the input. When you say value seeking what do you mean? I thought I color would be. Good vAlue. I don't mind getting a Vs2 stone (or maybe a good Si1 but it's hard to get a decent SI Stone. If that's the case I may be able to get a G or H color. Thoughts ? It's also very tough to buy an SI stone online without looking at it first (or going thru the hassle of buying it then returning it

Thanks for the input. When you say value seeking what do you mean? I thought I color would be. Good vAlue.

Sorry, a "t" was left out of my post, and made it seem as if I was referring to "I colour" as not value seeking - not to "It" as in "I/VVS2" as a whole. Have edited post above.

I don't mind getting a Vs2 stone

So why not consider one? You are starting from a universe of literally thousands of stones and you have landed with two which are both VVS2.

(or maybe a good Si1 but it's hard to get a decent SI Stone. If that's the case I may be able to get a G or H color. Thoughts ? It's also very tough to buy an SI stone online without looking at it first (or going thru the hassle of buying it then returning it

I would disagree that it's hard to get a "good SI1" if by good you mean eye-clean through the table: the vast majority of SI1 are clean in that sense. Also, work with vendors that can provide photos, video or an expert eye that sees the stone directly (not through third or fourth party information): this cuts down risks very significantly. Joshua at ED can do all of the above, so again, ask him.

I agree with Davide, VVS2 is "overkill" - BUT - some diamond polishers will lower their price on an I VVS2 as it is "overkill" so the price can be very slightly higher than a VS stone. 

There are diamond polishers around the world doing this, even listing the diamond as a VS1 when its actually a VVS... Ive seen this more and more over the last two years. When I asked the diamond polishers why this was the case, they said a VS is more marketable than a VVS. I see this even more frequently with IF stones, being sold as VS1!

But as Davide said - we can help you identify which SI1/SI2 diamonds are 100% eye clean. Further we can certainly guarantee eye cleanliness of a diamond as should any online retailer. I tend to stay away from SI2 diamond as eye clean usually = milky diamonds, which does in fact impact a diamonds beauty in a negative way (in my opinion).

One of the things I love most about the other gentleman and ladies on this forum is we are all advocates of saving money and unlocking value.

It's also very tough to buy an SI stone online without looking at it first (or going thru the hassle of buying it then returning it

I think the risk of this is overblown. 

As mentioned above, any dealer worth their salt is going to look at it first and give you their opinion about eye cleanliness if you ask.  Maybe even if you don't.  Admittedly, they have a conflict of interest inherent in this question but they're no more eager to see returns than you.  Assuming both you and the seller are in the US, normally these things arrive by FedEx within a few days of your order.  You then have somewhere between 10 to 60 days to look at it, show it to your friends, your appraiser or even a competitive jeweler and decide if you like it.  If you don't, The seller sends you a FedEx ticket by email, you print it up, box it up using materials supplied by FedEx, and walk it down to the FedEx office.  Your credit cards gets refunded within a few days of them getting it back.  It's about 50/50 whether or not you have to pay any shipping fees but all of this will be spelled out in the terms and conditions section of the sellers website and it's rarely more than a few dozen dollars even if you have to pay.   Yes, this is sort of a pain, and it ties up your credit and emotional energy for a week or two so it's good to try to minimize it, but it's not really all THAT bad, and the risk of it isn't really all that high if you choose your seller carefully and you're clear with them upfront about your objectives.  It's not even actually all that different from shopping at a local store.   You still want a few days to look at it, show it to your friends, get it appraised by your own chosen expert, and generally think about it away from the pressure of the sales floor while you've got a 100% return policy if you change your mind. 

Edited by denverappraiser

Then there Is this last 1.75 h vs1 stone that looks great too https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R175-BJKY8E

My question is what shud I pick in this price range. Shud I go w a bigger stone such w an I vs clarity or shud I pick the H color. I feel that once mounted color won't b v discernible so shud I go a a bigger stone in that 14-15k price range or shud I stick to sething like this 1.75 stone. I hate this process or maybe I'm making it harder than it shud be. I dunno

My advice is to go with:

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Round/GIA-Certified-1,75-Carat-H-Color-VS1-Clarity-Diamond-BJKY8E

The reason being that its my absolute favorite polisher and they always cut the most stunning ideal make diamonds. 

If you compare the diamonds side by side:

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/compare?diamonds=KHDM4U,4GJT14,5UMAUA,H4H17Q,5DV37D,H5888Q,BJKY8E

You'll see the size difference is negligible. I think the 1.75 H VS1 is best bang for your buck, and overall the best make out of the options you've presented. 

Because of its size, runner up would be:

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Round/GIA-Certified-1,91-Carat-I-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-H4H17Q

I appreciate the other experts advice on this one as well... I am having a hard time picking between these diamonds myself. 

Edited by Joshua Niamehr