Bought A 0.89 Ex Cut Gia; Need Reassurance!

rpg

Hi there,

So I'm probably one of the very silly few - someone who buys a diamond ring and then researches after dropping a small fortune on it!

Bottom line: I'm happy with it & I'm sure my future wife will be too, but I'd like people's thoughts regardless!

Here's the specs:

Round Brilliant
Measurements - 6.22 - 6.26 x 3.74 mm
Carat Weight - 0.89 carat
Color Grade - H
Clarity Grade - VS2
Cut Grade - Excellent

Proportions
Depth - 59.9 %
Table - 60 %
Crown Angle - 33.0°
Crown Height - 13.0%
Pavilion Angle - 41.0°
Pavilion Depth - 43.5%
Star Length - 50%
Lower Half - 75%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet None

Finish
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent

Fluorescence None

Clarity Characteristics - Cloud, Crystal

First impressions: I thought the crown height was ever so slightly lower than 'ideal' - as the diamond stone sits level / flush with the 4 prongs in the sitting. From what I've seen I thought the diamond table should sit ever so slightly higher than the top of the prongs. But maybe this depends on prong design?

After searching various sites, it seems I have in fact bought a 60/60 diamond, something I knew nothing about before the purchase. It seems the deciding factors of whether a 60/60 diamond is good or not, depends on crown & pavilion angle which thankfully seem to be ok on the stone I bought. Is 60/60 just an old fashioned thing these days?

The dimensions are quite nice as it seems to be a fairly 'wide' 0.89 carat stone, maybe not as deep, but that doesn't really matter due to the setting chosen.

I paid approx £3,650 (~US$5,700) for the stone alone (inc. VAT).

And finally, visibly, it looks very nice. Lovely sparkle etc.

So, as the title mentions, would you have been happy with this stone? Maybe discard price as a factor, as I may have overpaid, I'd prefer just an opinion on the stone itself!

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to your thoughts.

Prongs are not a reliable indicator of "proper" crown height; this said, yes, the crown here is relatively low because of the shallowness of the angle and the large table.

60/60 as a set of proportions is completely out of fashion - which doesn't mean that a 60/60 diamond is bad or even that it looks worse than what current fashion for narrower tables (and slightly deeper stones) dictates. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

60/60 never was that good as a rule anyway, because as you point out what matters are angles, and there can be many combinations of angles that yield a 60% table with a 60% depth.

Would I be happy with it? That depends on what I'm looking for... as a stone for myself (or my wife), I'd rather have something cut differently because my personal preferences go exactly the opposite way: high crown and narrow table. As a stone to sell, it's perfectly fine and for 99.99% of people the spreadiness (width) of the stone and its brightness more than compensate for any shortcomings in terms of contrast and fire.

Price-wise, yes, you could have done at least 20% better by purchasing in the US (normalising for VAT). However you would have lost the benefit of seeing the stone before deciding on it, and returns (if it ever came to that) would have been more difficult.

Edited by davidelevi

60/60 gets rightly slammed as a bad way to choose a good stone, but it's not a sign of a bad stone either.  It's rather like noting that the finest cars come in red.  That's a bad test, but the fact that it's a dumb test doesn't mean your red car is anything to worry about.  The problem is with the test, not the car (or the diamond).    

Thanks for the replies folks!

Yes, I think if I was doing it all over again, I'd pay closer attention to the table width & crown height and go for a slightly higher crown and a narrower table. But it's not a deal breaker, as I'm quite happy with how the overall ring looks.

Is it possible to 'raise' the stone to make it slightly higher in the setting? Or can a stone only be set one way i.e. prongs gripping the girdle?

My stone is most like the bottom stone in the excellent category on the link below. As it mentions on the sheet, large table widths are limited to only a few proportion qualifications to class them as excellent, so it probably just made the cut...

http://www.diamondcut.gia.edu/pdfs/estimating_cut_grade_chart_lowres.pdf

As for price, yes I was aware I could have done better, but as you mentioned it has some drawbacks, so I'm not too disappointed in that regard.

The prongs have to grip the girdle - if they didn't you'd have a loose stone... or a broken one. This said, you can get quite different styles of setting that emphasise or diminish the impression of height in the stone; whether the setting you have can be modified to look higher (and if so, at what price) is a different issue.

FWIW, I would rather have the stone sit low and secure - far less risk of snagging or bumping into things, and traditionally a well built setting is low.

Also, bear in mind that on a 6.24 mm stone, crown height difference between a high crown at say 16% and your 13% is about 0.12 mm, or the thickness of an average human hair.

Finally - I think I have come across very lukewarm on the diamond, but this is because my personal - repeat personal - preference is for a different type of proportions. Other people, in fact probably the majority, prefer the flatter, bright and "big" look of what you picked.

• Like 1

Thanks Davide - and I completely understand; everyone has their personal preferences.

And in relation to the crown height, when you put it like that, the difference is probably indistinguishable to the naked eye.

I really don't think I'd go to the effort (and additional cost) of getting the prongs adjusted/modified to be honest - I'd be concerned about potential damage and/or weaking of the setting/band. Besides, low/level set stones have their advantages as you mentioned above.

Thanks again - I'm feeling confident now she'll be happy with the stone.

Edited by rpg