Need Technical Feedback To Become "mind Clean" On 2.4 Rb

Jackdaniels

Hey guys, 

First and foremost - thanks for taking the time to providing some feedback as I have been struggling with my choice simply due to starting to overanalyze the intricacies that come along with the process of purchasing a diamond armed with a solid knowledge base. I am in a paradox, and really should be excited about the purchase - not wondering if I did the right thing.

Here are the specs of the stone I chose (it's currently being set in a 6-prong solitaire):

2.40 CT, I SI1 GIA XXX
No Fluor
8.54 - 9.58 x 5.32 mm
Table: 56%
Depth: 62.2%
Crown: 35%
Pavillon: 40.8
Star: 50%
pointed culet: 0
Medium to slightly thick girdle 4%(faceted)
HCA 1.6 (X,X,X,VG)
The idealscope looks good, despite the tilt of the camera. Regardless of the scores, I believe this stone is extremely symmetric. The ASET is computer generated as you can probably figure out.

The thing I am struggling with is that a 2.53ct stone just came my way and it scores an HCA of 1.0 (X,X,X,VG) and is an H color. It's only approximately $1,200 more. I also believe the cut is overall better than the 2.4, on paper. I am not sure what the scopes look like since I have not seen the diamond in person. Here are the specs:

2.53ct H, SI1 GIA XXX
No Fluor
8.75mm-8.8mm
Table: 56%
Depth: 61.3%
Crown: 34%
Pavillon: 40.8
Star: 45% (is this a concern?)
pointed culet: 0
Medium to slightly thick girdle 3.5%(faceted)
HCA 1.0 (X,X,X,VG)

Also note that I wasn't initially going for super ideal,  but believe I wasn't too far off with the 2.4. 

Please let me know your thoughts - I really appreciate it. 

post-134691-0-50876600-1418721816_thumb.jpg

post-134691-0-88748200-1418721828_thumb.jpg

On paper, I'd say the 2.53 is worth a punt, and it "reads" better than the 2.40. The 45% star does not concern me at all, though it may well cause a slightly different appearance of the periphery of the diamond from what people are used to consider ideal.

On the other hand, you have far less information (including direct observation) to go with the "paper info", and one interesting clue that all may not quite be as it seems:

The price.

Unless you are paying a significant premium for the 2.40, I'd expect it to be somewhere around $21-23k. $1200 is about 5% of that, however the sheer difference in weight also about 5%, yet the 2.53 goes above the 2.50 threshold AND is a higher colour to boot. So, at least one of three things has to be true:

1. You ARE paying a significant premium for the 2.40.

2. There is some issue with the 2.53 (which can range from the inclusions being visible to this being a distress sale to the stone being not perfectly transparent because of stress to...)

3. You are purchasing things from significantly different channels (brick & mortar vs. aggressive internet-only "low service" retailer)

and perhaps more than one!

Edited by davidelevi

1. You ARE paying a significant premium for the 2.40.

2. There is some issue with the 2.53 (which can range from the inclusions being visible to this being a distress sale to the stone being not perfectly transparent because of stress to...)

3. You are purchasing things from significantly different channels (brick & mortar vs. aggressive internet-only "low service" retailer)

and perhaps more than one!

1. Thank you for your feedback.

2. I am not paying a premium for the 2.4, which leads us to;

3. Cannot tell if the reasoning has to do with the physical state of the stone since I have not seen it yet. Although, the retailer has indicated that the stone is coming directly from the cutter out of another country. Can this speak to the price difference?

Diamonds are, in general, sold on a ‘per carat’ basis with a bunch of other modifiers for things like weight, clarity, color, cutting and so on.  These are both fairly similar in terms of gemological properties with two key exceptions.  Weight and color. 

The 2.53 you mention is listed as a 'virtual' stone on Blue Nile for $10,861/ct.  It may be slightly different where you’re getting it but you never gave the price or where you're getting it and BN makes for a pretty good pricing benchmark.

Assuming the 2.40 is a net $1200 cheaper, that brings it to $10,900/ct.  

That’s why there’s an apparent premium.  Color is down, price is up, everything else is the same.  That doesn’t mean it’s not worth it.  The difference is in the market and it’s BETTER to buy from certain sources, even when the gemology is the same.  How much better is up to you.  In any case, there *IS* a premium happening here (or a better discount on the 2.53 if you prefer to see it that way).