Offered A 3.16Ct Vs2 G Diamond....seems Too Good To Be True

np89

A diamond store just offered me the above diamond for $25,000 with a 0.5ct rose gold setting.....I checked online and that diamond alone seems to retail at closer to $50K....what am I missing here? the store seemed very legitimate, it was in NY diamond district, lots of customers...I'm just trying to figure out the catch. 

The answer here is nearly always in who said it was VS2/G and what standards they were/are using.  The difference can be enormous.  If it's not GIA or AGS, ask why not.  If you've never heard of them or it's graded in-house, that's the issue.  If it *IS* one of those two labs, post the report number so we can look up the details.  Maybe it's a deal, maybe not, but we can usually get to the bottom of it from there.  You're wise to be suspicious. 

Personally, I count NYC diamond district as a bad thing by the way, especially if we're talking about street level merchants.  It doesn't mean they're sharks, but it's at least one or two strikes against them.  In any case, that's the veritable DEFINITION of retail.  That said, I have friends in NYC who count a location out here in fly-over country as a bad sign as well.  There are more jewelers in one block of that neighborhood than in my whole state.  In the end, address has very little do do with it.  Diamonds ship around just fine.  

Edited by denverappraiser

'Taint fake, but it's definitely not VS2.  Actually, it's probably I1 or I2.  There's a pretty good chance it's not a G either by the way.   Google it up.  There's quite a bit out there about them.  

Not interested in anything like that. What would you say is the most important thing about a diamond outside of cut? Someone told me table/depth are extremely important...something like 57-61% is ideal...is that right?

That's a very difficult question to answer quickly and, for starters, table and depth aren't really all that important.  They're sort of like tire size on your car.  If you get into the serious outliers there are troubles but, at best, that's an indicator about cutting.  Personally, I like the AGS 000 lab grade as the best place to start with cutting on round and princess cuts.  Outside of that it gets even more tricky.  In reality, AGS graded stones are a bit hard to come by and GIA excellent is a pretty good beginning point.  They're plentiful. How to go deeper than that is the tricky part and I don't want to take the time to write about it.  There are others here who might and I may chime in again later.

What's most important outside of cut?  Size.  Price.  Color.  Clarity.  Those are the big variables but people rank them in different ways.  In fact, most people don't put cut first. Americans normally put size and price at the top but there's nothing carved in stone about that.   Personally, I tend to recommend starting with GIA xxx as a lock in.  Next lock in the price.  Pick a clarity and color in the range of SI1/H, and than adjust the size to fit your budget.  If you're happy with the results, zero in from there.  If meeting budget was easy, consider raising color or clarity or just have some change left over.  If the budget was hard, consider lowing one or more of size/clarity/color.

Edited by denverappraiser

That's a very difficult question to answer quickly and, for starters, table and depth aren't really all that important.  They're sort of like tire size on your car.  If you get into the serious outliers there are troubles but, at best, that's an indicator about cutting.  Personally, I like the AGS 000 lab grade as the best place to start with cutting on round and princess cuts.  Outside of that it gets even more tricky.  In reality, AGS graded stones are a bit hard to come by and GIA excellent is a pretty good beginning point.  How to go deeper than that is the tricky part and I don't want to take the time to write about it.  There are others here who might and I may chime in again later.

What's most important outside of cut?  Size.  Price.  Color.  Clarity.  Those are the big variables but people rank them in different ways.  In fact, most people don't put cut first. Americans normally put size and price at the top but there's nothing carved in stone about that.   Personally, I tend to recommend starting with GIA xxx as a lock in.  Next lock in the price.  Pick a clarity and color in the range of SI1/H, and than adjust the size to fit your budget.  If you're happy with the results, zero in from there.  If meeting budget was easy, consider raising color or clarity or just have some change left over.  If the budget was hard, consider lowing one or more of size/clarity/color.

Thank you this was really helpful. Clearly I've been focusing too much on table/depth.