Question On A Diamond

Incursus

I have been looking at diamonds for engagement rings. I've done a fair bit of research, but I wanted to see if $4500 was relatively reasonable for this diamond. I know this isn't a ton of information, but I just wanted to see if there was anything I should be concerned about.

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2161492558

GIA Report: 2161492558

CUSHION MODIFIED BRILLIANT

Measurements 5.59 x 5.27 x 3.78 mm
Carat Weight 0.91 carat
Color Grade E
Clarity Grade SI2

PROPORTIONS

Depth 71.7 %
Table 65 %
Girdle Thin to Extremely Thick, Faceted
Culet None

FINISH

Polish Excellent
Symmetry Very Good

FLUORESCENCE

Fluorescence Faint

CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS

Clarity Characteristics Feather
Edited by Incursus

There are no big red flags - but neither are there any immediate "buy this before it's gone" signals.

It looks quite expensive, unless you are purchasing from a very "service oriented" or luxury dealer - here are prices of comparable diamonds offered by commercially aggressive retailers, going from about $3500 to $2300 (excluding outliers): http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Cush&fCaratLo=0.90&fCaratHi=0.95&fColorLo=E&fColorHi=E&fClarityLo=SI2&fClarityHi=SI2&fCutLo=&fCutHi=poor&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000&fLabGIA=1&fLabAGS=1

The two main drivers of price are:

1. Visibility of the inclusion(s)

2. Cut quality

Unfortunately, neither is part of/can be deduced from the information you have on a GIA report, so you'll need to get some more info directly from the vendor (asking him to call in the stone and look at it, or look at it yourself if you are working with a locally-based vendor), or be ready to send a few stones back because they don't match your expectations.