Choosing Between Two Sets Of Earrings

tacoparty

Hello all,

I am having difficulties in choosing between two sets of earrings.  I thought I would ask here and see if the community could offer any help.  These are both 2ct tw earrings, but I don't know which is the better deal, especially when it comes to color and clarity

The first ones are from Blue Nile, which I would prefer to buy from

good-cut, G-Color, SI2 clarity

$7,573

The second are from Jareds

minimum color HI, I1-I2 clarity

$6,500

There is about a $1000 dolloar difference and Jareds has the better color, but Blue Nile has the better clarity.  When it comes to earrings and this size, which is the better choice and which will be the better looking?

"Better deal" is often in the eye (ear?) of the beholder. FWIW, from what you posted above, BN is ahead in both colour and clarity, though I very much doubt that anyone is going to be able to tell a (correctly graded) G from a (correctly graded) H once they are set and worn.

However, there are some potential zingers/interesting questions here:

1. Who is calling the diamonds "G (or H, I)" and "SI2 (or I1-I2)"? If it is GIA or AGS it is one thing; if it is another lab quite another, and if it is only the seller it is quite another still.

2. "2 cttw" is also a bit vague; even assuming it is only 2 stones in both cases, 2 x 0.95 is rather different (price-wise) from 1 x 0.95 + 1 x 1.10, and that in turn is rather different again from 2 x 1.05.

3. What about the cut quality? It's going to be hugely more influential on looks than colour, and most likely clarity - though with SI2 and I1 stones you are skirting some dangerous territory. Yet you mention nothing about cut - not even shape - other than someone (who?) has graded the Blue Nile stones "good" (and that is generally NOT good, BTW).

(BTW 2 - most I2 don't look appealing to me, and the danger of getting one sight unseen would be enough for me to decide against Jared's offer. Then again, you may be able to see the diamonds at your local Jared's, while getting several pairs shipped through on Blue Nile is much more complicated).

4. What about the setting? Again, even assuming a pretty simple stud design, materials and quality of workmanship will make a big impact on fair price.

Edited by davidelevi

Thanks for the help davidelivi, 

I did see the Jareds one in person.  They have it online, however, I know this is just an overview and not specific to the one I was looking at in person.  Below is the link

http://www.jared.com/en/jaredstore/diamonds-100259--1/14k-white-gold-2-carat-tw-diamond-earrings-200333300--1/100259/100259.100260.100266

For the Blue Nile, they are set in 4 prong 18k white gold.  Below is the specs on the two diamonds.

Price per carat-$3,689
Carat weight-1.00
Shape-Round
Cut-Good
Color-G
Clarity-SI2
Length/width ratio-1.01
Depth %-65.8%
Table %-56.0%
Polish-Very Good
Symmetry-Very Good
Girdle-Thick to Very Thick
Culet-None
Fluorescence-None
Measurements-6.22 x 6.18 x 4.02 mm
Price per carat-$3,704
Carat weight-1.00
Shape-Round
Cut-Good
ColorG
Clarity-SI2
Length/width ratio-1.01
Depth %-64.8%
Table %-57.0%
Polish-Very Good
Symmetry-Very Good
Girdle-Thin to Thick
Culet-None
Fluorescence-None
Measurements-6.16 x 6.11 x 4.04 mm

OK - couple of interesting points:

1. Jared's offer seems to be graded in house. Not necessarily wrong, but at those prices I'd expect a lab report. In any case, it remains in my opinion intrinsically more risky; in addition, they tell you nothing at all about the cut quality, or indeed about anything else: 1 ct H-I1 to I-I2 accounting for all likely variability in cut (and lab reliability as well) go from about $4500 to just over $1100/carat. Which ones are Jared's?

2. Blue Nile's diamonds are fairly graded if they are part of their GIA-graded line; you don't say if this is so. Prices for GIA G/SI2/Good cut 1 ct stones go from about $6000 down to $3300/carat - so at least here you know where you stand.

Assuming that GIA-grading the case, I think you could do significantly better (looks-wise) for the same price by buying a pair of really well cut G-H/SI 0.90, which you can find around the same price (as long as you don't care too much about some inclusions being visible). They would look no smaller than the "full carat" poorly cut stones, at about 6.1-6.2 mm diameter, but they would significantly out-sparkle them.

BTW - in case you haven't found it yet, I'm getting all this pricing information from the Diamond Finder (link at the top of the page or here.

Edited by davidelevi