Need Help Choosing +- 3Ct Round Diamond

RWest

Hi All,

First of all, have been a long time stalker of this board, but this is my first time posting--really appreciate what everyone does on here!

Despite my best efforts to educate myself, I am still very much a diamond novice and very much need some expert opinion on a very important purchase I am about to make.

What I'm Looking For:

• ~2.7 - 3.2 ct round diamond that will be set in a platinum or white gold solitaire engagement ring
  • Willing to go down to I color and SI1 for a premium cut (unless anyone would steer me away from either of those)
  • Have heard very good things about WhiteFlash's ACA, but am by no means wed to buying it from any particular place.
  • Like everyone else, I want the diamond to blind people when my very patient Misses walks into a room
  • Price range is approximately $50,000

What I'm Looking At:

1. 3.135 ct I VS2, ACA from WF:  http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3095469.htm.  Have been looking at this diamond for some time.  Any thoughts on the reasonably low table % (seems to not be ruled out by the HCA)?  Also, the ASET has a good amount of black color in it, which I believe means light leakage--is that a concern?  Any additional thoughts on this diamond would be much appreciated.
  2. 2.664 ct H VS2, ACA from WF:  http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3227682.htm
  3. 3.018 ct I SI1 from WF:  http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3198012.htm
  4. 3.018 ct I VS2 from JA:  http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/3.23-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-56206
  5. 3.0 ct H SI1 from GOG:  http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11660/

Would LOVE to hear people's thoughts--particularly on the first one.  Thanks so much in advance!

RWest.

#1 seems about 7-12k over priced compared to other online retailers. My personal preference is a Lower Girdle Facet of 80%. Its ASET is pretty nice but you can do better (cut and price).

#2 fair price, but LGF of 76%, I prefer the 80% still, youll have more pinfire/life.

#3 stellar cut, pretty high price

#4 I suspect this diamond has been returned a few times, the color looks weak when the diamond is facing away from you. But its a stellar cut, should face up white. I think you can do better on the price though - drop down to a 3.1 and prices go down by a lot on some other websites. 

#5 Stellar cut, but cant see the price. GOG is usually more expensive because they are a retailer with a physical store. I am surprised they dont list their prices... It made me feel like Im walking into a jewelry store. 

One of the other forum members (Davide Levi) often posts to this GIA article on fluorescence: http://www.gia.edu/d...1-GEMS_33_4_244

To sum it up and give you my opinion, in I-J color diamonds you want fluorescence it'll make the diamond brighter and whiter - and in other colors should have no impact besides bringing the price down significantly. Some retailers price them higher actually, but if you shop online you can save a ton of money by buying a diamond with fluorescence, and get something even nicer than you expected. 

Thanks to everyone for the responses--very helpful and exactly why I came here--I clearly don't know what I'm doing!

The black I was referring to was indeed the arrows, but it sounds like it would be impossible to have that much leakage and that the ASET is fine.

Luckily I have some time so I can start my search over to try and fine similar cut quality for less (or perhaps go up on the color scale).

Do you think I should be worried about going down to an I color on a diamond of this size? It was one of the aspects I was willing to concede, but not if its at the expense of potentially having some yellow at certain angles.

As always, many thanks for all that you guys do.

You're doing just fine.

If you haven't already done so, go look at some real diamonds.  Live and in person.  Big ones.  Properly graded ones.  Any jeweler would be happy to talk to you about this although the chances of finding someone with inventory you can look at goes up with the bigger and well entrenched sort of places.  Leave your credit card at home.  See what your color sensitivity is.  The difference between an H and an I is tiny and this exercise is a bit like trying to decide which raindrop is the one that makes a drizzle into a storm.  Basically, you just have to draw a line somewhere.  For many, most even, I is fine.  For a few it's not.  For a few H isn't either.  If it were me and price was a huge hot button I would be looking at SI1's, not VS2's, and I would consider 2.9x if you can find one instead of 3.00+ although this too has that raindrop problem.  Yes, I would be looking at I's.  Your $50k budget is plenty.  You're going to have change left over unless you hit the high note for every one of your ranges so you have the luxury of strategically deciding what compromises you want to make or you can make none at all. 

Edited by denverappraiser
  • Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the responses--very helpful and exactly why I came here--I clearly don't know what I'm doing!

The black I was referring to was indeed the arrows, but it sounds like it would be impossible to have that much leakage and that the ASET is fine.

Luckily I have some time so I can start my search over to try and fine similar cut quality for less (or perhaps go up on the color scale).

Do you think I should be worried about going down to an I color on a diamond of this size? It was one of the aspects I was willing to concede, but not if its at the expense of potentially having some yellow at certain angles.

As always, many thanks for all that you guys do.

To us/my team - we very adamantly tell clients to focus first on Cut - its the most important C. Anything D-J color is very practical for a classic engagement ring. 

Of course Im talking about color by GIA standards. A super ideally cut I color diamond should not throw a noticeable amount of color.

As for cut - I am not talking about GIA standards. I think you need to look at cut beyond the GIA perspective as its not enough. 

Edited by Joshua Niamehr