Jump to content

Help Selecting Between Two 2.0 Round Carat Diamonds


shaunuk
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi team,

 

Attached the GIA reports.

 

There are two stones, the first the store has to order in as it's in an overseas shop, the second I found in a store today which looks beautiful (sparkly!!) but is a "worse" stone and slightly more expensive. 

 

The first diamond that I really like on paper is 2.06 carats, VS2, I, excellent excellent excellent, strong blue fluorescence (apparently it's not "milky" at all). The GIA report shows a couple of minor inclusions, the main one is a cavity which is apparently very small and near a facet. 60.6% depth, 58% table, 33.5° crown angle, 40.8° pavilion angle, medium to slightly thick girdle (scores 1.0 on pricescopes HCA tool)

 

The second diamond that I saw today (enough so that I put a deposit of £500 down... which I feel like I got pressured into doing a little) is 2.01 carats, SI2, J, very good, excellent, very good. Visually I could sometimes see a tiny black mark near the top of one of diamonds facets, and another white mark towards the center of the diamond (quite hard to see visually). Both were pretty minor, and seeing it in store was pretty amazing. 60% depth, 61.1% table, 35° crown angle,  41° pavilion angle, very thing to thick girdle, (scores 3.3 on pricescopes HCA tool)

 

The first diamond + ring £12,815.79.

 

The second diamond + ring is £13,500

 

So my question is...

 

1) Should I wait and go with the first diamond and lose the £500 deposit at the second store (I don't mind fluorescence)

 

2) Should I go with the second store as I liked the diamond when I saw it, even if it's potentially a worse stone for more money.

 

Thanks everyone,

 

Shaun

 

 

post-134594-0-92045300-1413989035_thumb.png

post-134594-0-90018000-1413989037_thumb.png

Edited by shaunuk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Um. The £500 thing is really annoying... could you see if you can convert it into something else? A watch? A pendant?

 

Other than that, on paper I have little doubt that the I/VS2 is going to look nicer. The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference, in practice there is.

 

If you get the second diamond, can you return it with no (further!) penalty if it does turn up to be not what you expect? The reason I'm asking is that it is priced pretty low compared to similar stones (bear in mind that these are prices without VAT and without a ring + setting labour):

 

http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=2.00&fCaratHi=2.10&fColorLo=I&fColorHi=I&fClarityLo=VS2&fClarityHi=VS2&fCutLo=exc&fCutHi=exc&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=ideal&fPolHi=fair&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=strong&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000&fLabGIA=1&fLabAGS=1&adv=1

 

this normally points at something being an issue with the stone.

 

Lastly, the amount you are quoting on the I/VS2 is strangely precise, from which I assume that you have been given a price in another currency (USD?) and converted it. If you are getting the diamond shipped in from overseas, have you remembered to add duty and VAT to the calculation? If not the extra 25% may well throw a different light on things...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm I'm not sure about the £500 - I kind of put it down without really thinking about it (i'm not sure why but I thought it would be refundable). I'll have to ask the jeweler.

 

By the second stone did you mean the J color VS1? I thought it was priced a bit over for what it is. I've seen this one in store, so I purchase it outright I don't think i'll be able to return it... Is this normal?

 

I'm currently asking thew jeweler about the VS2 2.06 carat stone, it sounds like I have to purchase it outright so they can get it delivered in. If i don't like it they will refund it (probably 5 working days). The VS2 is priced at £10,036.57 excluding VAT on the website (uk website).

 

When I talked to the jeweler they said that was the final price.. And assuming I can purchase it directly from their website at this price, surely I wouldn't have to pay extra duty on it?

 

I'll attach the photos of it in a moment (the photo attached is of the I VS2)

 

Thanks for your help

 

Shaun

post-134594-0-24890100-1413993520_thumb.jpg

Edited by shaunuk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi team,

 

Attached the GIA reports.

 

There are two stones, the first the store has to order in as it's in an overseas shop, the second I found in a store today which looks beautiful (sparkly!!) but is a "worse" stone and slightly more expensive. 

 

The first diamond that I really like on paper is 2.06 carats, VS2, I, excellent excellent excellent, strong blue fluorescence (apparently it's not "milky" at all). The GIA report shows a couple of minor inclusions, the main one is a cavity which is apparently very small and near a facet. 60.6% depth, 58% table, 33.5° crown angle, 40.8° pavilion angle, medium to slightly thick girdle (scores 1.0 on pricescopes HCA tool)

 

The second diamond that I saw today (enough so that I put a deposit of £500 down... which I feel like I got pressured into doing a little) is 2.01 carats, SI2, J, very good, excellent, very good. Visually I could sometimes see a tiny black mark near the top of one of diamonds facets, and another white mark towards the center of the diamond (quite hard to see visually). Both were pretty minor, and seeing it in store was pretty amazing. 60% depth, 61.1% table, 35° crown angle,  41° pavilion angle, very thing to thick girdle, (scores 3.3 on pricescopes HCA tool)

 

The first diamond + ring £12,815.79.

 

The second diamond + ring is £13,500

 

So my question is...

 

1) Should I wait and go with the first diamond and lose the £500 deposit at the second store (I don't mind fluorescence)

 

2) Should I go with the second store as I liked the diamond when I saw it, even if it's potentially a worse stone for more money.

 

Thanks everyone,

 

Shaun

 

I would definitely not go with the J SI2 diamond (the very good cut) it will not come near the brilliance of the I VS2 diamond.

 

We gave it (with the Enchanted Diamonds Cut Score Calculator) a 97/100 - which is going to be an outstandingly brilliant diamond. 

 

I would not recommend the J SI2 to a client especially when you see you can see black with the naked eye. I would get the deposit back.

 

The store you found it on diamondreview, is our store - the GBP price does not include VAT, which comes to approx. 1920 GBP. 

 

I looked up the cost of the I VS2 and the store is giving you a phenomenally low markup on the diamond, I cant say the same for the setting as I dont know the details. But 10,036 with VAT included is a great deal, on what is going to be a gorgeous diamond, incomparable to the first option. 

 

I would make the necessary moves to get your deposit back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok! Thanks for the advice, i'll chase up the I VS2

 

It's also £10,036.57 (excl vat) - what I imagine is the conversion from USD to GBP (+ duty).

The ring is £643.26 (18k yellow gold contour ring, 2.2mm wide band, set of 0.23ct cut diamonds)

 

Including VAT the total is £12,815.79 (which is £700 cheaper then the other diamond + ring combo).

 

Final questions - fluorescence, I've heard so many mixed opinions, providing the stone is not "milky" - it just comes down to personal preference correct? And the "claws" holding the diamond, with a yellow gold ring, is it "better" to go white gold or yellow gold to emphasize the diamond? The jeweler today advised "white" gold but I wasn't sure.

 

Thanks

 

Shaun

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Im of the opinion is going to be a very bright diamond - I think yellow gold is just fine - I also think fluoresence in diamonds is usually a very nice thing to have. I dissent with the opinion that its not a good thing. 

 

All in all it sounds like a great deal. The sidestones, will they be color and clarity matched to the center? Id insist on that as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Things have moved on a bit while I was on an airplane... but to answer pending questions to me:

 

By the second stone did you mean the J color VS1? I thought it was priced a bit over for what it is. I've seen this one in store, so I purchase it outright I don't think i'll be able to return it... Is this normal?

No, I meant the second one you are considering buying, the I/VS2. Which you however posted about first, so I'm not surprised you are confused by my "ordering".

 

Stores accept returns too - though less commonly (and usually for much shorter periods) than online sellers. Always worth asking, but if you can get your money back on the I/VS2, I think it's worth seeing. You can always return to the J/SI2 (or anything else - there's plenty more 2 carat diamonds available).

 

When I talked to the jeweler they said that was the final price.. And assuming I can purchase it directly from their website at this price, surely I wouldn't have to pay extra duty on it?

Most likely not, if they are providing you with a UK-based price. If there is no milkiness/haze due to fluorescence, it seems like a very good deal. If it suffers... you'll know. Just look at it in diffused, unfiltered sunlight.

 

Final point re: metal. Both yellow and white gold will be fine; bear in mind that white gold will usually need replating after some time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Joshua - that video looks great!

 

And David, thanks for all the advice. I'm putting a £150 deposit down to get the I VS2 sent to the jewelers (cost goes towards the diamond if I purchase it). Hopefully will get here early next week.

 

Otherwise in regards to the second diamond, i'll leave it as a "backup". It's still beautiful in person, the inclusions that I could see required a lot of eye squinting and rotating of the diamond to try and find them.

 

Kind regards,

 

Shaun

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One last thing on fluorescence: you may be interested in reading through this: it's an old (1997) piece of research by GIA on the effect of fluorescence on diamonds appearance. http://www.gia.edu/doi/10_5741-GEMS_33_4_244

 

Basic conclusions are that 1) it doesn't matter, or if it does there is actually a slight preference for fluorescent stones and 2) while there are a few stones that show haze/milkiness when exposed to UV, these are very rare. (3) Despite this, prices are still pushed downwards for fluorescent stones, which is good news if you keep your mind open)

 

Let us know what you find when you get the "new" diamond!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

?

 

More lively than a VG cut?

 

We've seen VG cut grades that visually out perform EX cut grades.

 

Barry,

 

Im sure you have, as I have as well, but in this case we are talking about a very specific diamonds which the OP was comparing (see above). 

 

But yes, you are absolutely right, there are excellent cut diamonds (by the GIA standard) that are outperformed by VG cut diamonds.

 

I was asking the OP to give his opinion as to whether or not the ex cut diamond he was considering did in fact outperform the VG cut one. I am very confident in saying that it did, but I wanted to get his opinion on it. 

 

He did see both, and did end up going with another (after putting a deposit down on the VG cut one)... 

 

Warmest,

 

Joshua

Edited by Joshua Niamehr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
  • Create New...