The Diamond "newbs"

bvreeland

My boyfriend and I went to JUST look at diamonds and ended up walking out with a purchased loose diamond. I guess you can say it was a lot of nerves, a lot of fast talking by the jewelers, and a lot of rushed decisions. All and all though we felt good about the purchase and thought the diamond we bought looked beautiful (we still do). However, when I started hearing other stories about certifications and cuts and colors - I started to get a little nervous. Well, not a little, a lot!

So here is the story. We bought a .8 oval diamond from Zales. They used buzzed words that it was certified and that there was number engraving (not visible to the naked eye) for identification. The specs were coloring F, clarity SI2. The diamond was marked at $4k but it was an "expo" (a lot of loose diamonds and a jeweler who travels to different Zales store) so there was a discount bringing the price to $3k.

Here's where I get nervous. The "certification" is not GIA and from what I keep reading if it's not a GIA then I might as well have a plastic diamond (maybe that's being a little dramatic, but you get the picture). The "certification" is from GS laboratories - which no one seems to have heard of. Also, the diamond came in a card which shows the "specs" but not an actual piece of paper. Although I can actually go on the GS website and look the diamond up.

The other thing that has me wondering - from looking the to top of the diamond, you can't see any spots/blemishes, but when you turn the diamond over, you can actually see black blemishes. Does the "clarity" of the diamond only pertain to what you see from the top of the diamond or underneath to? Its not like I will ever see that part of the diamond once it is set.

Does anyone have an experience with Zales or GS laboratories? Should I be worried? Should we be taking the diamond back?

If you're worried, get it graded by someone who is working for you, not them.  If you'll tell me where you are, I'll try and make a local recommendation.

The GS that Zale uses GS is Gem Scan, the US division of a big Canadian outfit.  I think Zales is the only customer but I"m not entirely sure of that.  Whether or not their grading is of use to you depends on your evaluation of the lab.  The onus is on them to convince you that their opinions have merit and the default answer is NO.   

The girdle inscription has nothing to do with it.

Under the GIA grading scales, clarity is based on what's visible from the face up position only.  The plotting diagram includes a map of what's visible from the back.  GS may do it differently.   

My boyfriend and I went to JUST look at diamonds and ended up walking out with a purchased loose diamond. I guess you can say it was a lot of nerves, a lot of fast talking by the jewelers, and a lot of rushed decisions. All and all though we felt good about the purchase and thought the diamond we bought looked beautiful (we still do). However, when I started hearing other stories about certifications and cuts and colors - I started to get a little nervous. Well, not a little, a lot!

So here is the story. We bought a .8 oval diamond from Zales. They used buzzed words that it was certified and that there was number engraving (not visible to the naked eye) for identification. The specs were coloring F, clarity SI2. The diamond was marked at $4k but it was an "expo" (a lot of loose diamonds and a jeweler who travels to different Zales store) so there was a discount bringing the price to $3k.

Here's where I get nervous. The "certification" is not GIA and from what I keep reading if it's not a GIA then I might as well have a plastic diamond (maybe that's being a little dramatic, but you get the picture). The "certification" is from GS laboratories - which no one seems to have heard of. Also, the diamond came in a card which shows the "specs" but not an actual piece of paper. Although I can actually go on the GS website and look the diamond up.

The other thing that has me wondering - from looking the to top of the diamond, you can't see any spots/blemishes, but when you turn the diamond over, you can actually see black blemishes. Does the "clarity" of the diamond only pertain to what you see from the top of the diamond or underneath to? Its not like I will ever see that part of the diamond once it is set.

Does anyone have an experience with Zales or GS laboratories? Should I be worried? Should we be taking the diamond back?

That doesnt sound like a very good deal to me.

The diamond has little to no resale or trade in value - its not from a lab that is commonly accepted in the diamond trade. 

You can have it appraised like Neil suggests (you should do so with any diamond you purchase) but paying out of pocket for those services for a diamond that is not GIA certified sounds like money down the drain to me.

You can do better, I ran a quick search on our site and found diamonds that have a lower price, better color, likely a better cut (I dont know the specs of your diamond beyond color and clarity)... 

For example: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Oval/GIA-Certified-0,8-Carat-D-Color-SI1-Clarity-Diamond-HFD5K1

Larger option: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Oval/GIA-Certified-0,9-Carat-D-Color-SI2-Clarity-Diamond-9JKJAU

Im sure other websites have great options... If the diamond has a GIA certificate you can try our cut score calculator:

http://enchanteddiamonds.com/cut_score_calculator

I hesitate recommending anything besides GIA, AGS and HRD labs. I recommend GIA first and foremost because of its wide adoption in the diamond trade. 

Thank you for your reply. We are in New York City and think it would be best if we got an independent appraisal.

I would check out:

http://www.gemfacts.com/ 

Excellent and fast service

I agree.  This is a good outfit although there seems to be something wrong with the link.  I'll try.

http://www.gemfacts.com