Diamonds With Strong Fluorescence

AYG2014

Hi all,

Further with my diamond search, I've noticed there are some very nice stones with good cut and clarity at reasonable prices. However, they all indicated that they have strong blue fluorescence.

I've read some posts saying that fluorescence only becomes visible under strong UV lighting. 99% of the time it's not an issue.

Can anyone clarify a little more on the significance of strong fluorescence? Like everything, the cost of a diamond is cheaper for a reason right? Is it worth the trade off for a stone with strong fluorescence but larger in size and better clarity?

Thanks,

Allan

It’s a very circular problem.  The reason fluorescent diamonds are cheaper is because they’re harder to sell, especially online.  They’re harder to sell because there are a few that develop a milky or cloudy appearance in direct sunlight.  This is an attribute that does NOT appear on the GIA report and that’s easy to spot in person.  It’s been used as a competitive advantage by the people selling in person against the folks selling off of the GIA docs and it gets used on any that have strong or very strong fluro.  People even worry about medium..  That makes them hard for the onliners to sell so they don’t want to stock them.  That drives the price down and the lower prices make customers nervous.  Like I said, it’s very circular. 

FWIW, this has not always been the case.  It used to be that the finest diamonds were ‘blue white’ and they sold at a premium.  That’s a reference to blue fluorescence.  It’s really only in the Internet age that it’s become bad instead of good.

Edited by denverappraiser

Hi all,

Further with my diamond search, I've noticed there are some very nice stones with good cut and clarity at reasonable prices. However, they all indicated that they have strong blue fluorescence.

I've read some posts saying that fluorescence only becomes visible under strong UV lighting. 99% of the time it's not an issue.

Can anyone clarify a little more on the significance of strong fluorescence? Like everything, the cost of a diamond is cheaper for a reason right? Is it worth the trade off for a stone with strong fluorescence but larger in size and better clarity?

Thanks,

Allan

Hi Allan,

I think its important that your jeweler or dealer lets you know if the diamond is milky or hazy and stands behind that. 99% of the time its really not an issue. Its more an issue with SI2's in general, not fluorescence. 

Ive seen quite a few non-fluorescent SI2's that are  milky, cloudy or hazy.