Tolksowsky Purely Diamonds And Diamond Ring Company

Src1

I have found the following which is pretty and has a great sparkle tolksowsky .5 D sI1 with IGI F6e62957 for 2400.00 which seems a good price. The inclusion is in a port rate position in the middle of the diamond yet out what I have seen this has the best sparkle. I would appreciate any opinions on this brand and price.

I also have appointments on Fri 17 Oct with Purely Diamonds and The Diamond Ring Company so is there anything that I should know before I go? I obviously want to get the best for my total of £2800.00 budget and will be placing a lot on my visual preference.

The honest answer is "who knows?" IGI is not particularly reliable as far as colour and clarity grading goes, which makes price comparisons difficult. As to cut, the only information we have is that you like it - which is great, but you knew that already.

FWIW, any correctly graded SI1 should not have inclusions that materially affect transparency and thus optics; it is however possible that SI1 inclusions will be visible without magnification.

Brand: do you place any value on it? If not, then it has no value.

(One question: what do you mean by "inclusion is in a port rate position"?)

Thanks Davidelevi

I am not placing value on brands but so far the Tolksowsky is the one I like the most. It's dressed in a platinum ring for a price of 2999.99 but I can have a 20% discount. With the info below what are opinions to the value taking the info at face value and paying £2400.00, I don't have a photo yet.

Has anyone used Purely Diamonds or Diamond Ring Company? And how did you find them?

post-134571-0-50711100-1413057015_thumb.jpg

First of all - it's an I1, not an SI1... which makes a lot of difference on the price to start with. Secondly, there still is no information on cut; IGI "excellent" doesn't mean much, so we are back to "you liked it more than others". Thirdly, you have now introduced another moving part into the equation: the price of the ring. Assuming a basic platinum solitaire at $500/£300 + VAT, you can then use the Diamond Finder to compare offers from several online vendors:

http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=0.50&fCaratHi=0.55&fColorLo=D&fColorHi=D&fClarityLo=I1&fClarityHi=I1&fCutLo=&fCutHi=poor&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000&fLabGIA=1&fLabAGS=1&fLabEGL=1

I very much doubt that an IGI graded D-I1 would be graded by GIA D-I1, but even so, the price you are being quoted is significantly higher than what competitive vendors would charge: removing VAT at 20% (not in the Finder's prices), the £300 of the ring and the further 20% "discount", the UK store is still charging you about twice the price of the median GIA 0.50 D-I1. If - as it is likely - the IGI grade is more comparable with an EGL than a GIA grade, then you are looking at three times as much.

If the ability to see the diamond without paying for shipping (all the vendors on the Finder will accept returns with no penalty for a few weeks), have a cup of coffee and chat to a friendly jeweller is worth about 40% of your budget, then fine. If not, I think you can do better elsewhere.

The difference between SI1 and I1 is hugely important.  If that's a mere typo or a miscommunication in what you told us because of the arcane language we diamond people use, I understand, but if the jeweler SAID it's an SI-1 during the sales presentation and then what you pulled up on the IGI site when you went there to confirm it was I-1, that's an enormous problem.  

The difference between SI1 and I1 is hugely important. If that's a mere typo or a miscommunication in what you told us because of the arcane language we diamond people use, I understand, but if the jeweler SAID it's an SI-1 during the sales presentation and then what you pulled up on the IGI site when you went there to confirm it was I-1, that's an enormous problem.

Davidelevi and Denverappraiser thanks for your replies. Let me apologise for the slow responses but for some reason my Galaxy s4 won't allow me to log on even though I enter the username and password so I have very restricted access with the Lady around.

The clarity was my mistake.

Since Davidelevi's reply I have been using the diamond finder and agree that purchases in there could provide better quality for my monies so I Thankyou for this direction but there a larger number things for me to consider but at the same time learn. Hidden charges like import tax or VAT concern me because I just haven't been able to look into it yet. I have been googling the table 56% and depth 61% to be ideal for a round diamond, please correct me if I'm wrong. I am now only looking for GIA certifications too. My concern is finding someone to fit the diamond to the setting. The settings I will be looking at this week so any hints would be appreciated.

Below is example of what I have found and opinions would be appreciated

post-134571-0-38852800-1413141524_thumb.jpg

Edited by Src1

Duty and VAT: duty is 0% on loose stones; 2.5% on mounted jewellery. VAT (assuming you are in the UK) is 20% of price + duty + shipping costs if declared. On top, you have customs clearance fees, but those depend on the carrier, so I can't tell you how much they are.

Table and depth aren't the two best parameters to assess cut; start from a GIA or AGS cut grade, and if you like 56% tables by any means select for those. The critical parameters are pavilion and crown angles, and those aren't reported by the image you posted.

Why have you gone from I1 to VVS1? There's plenty of good stuff in the middle without having to pay the premium for VVS (however small in a 0.50 stone). Same for D... Plenty of diamonds that look colourless without having to pay for D.

Setting: how long is a piece of string? You can spend £3000 on a solitaire, or you can spend £300. Or you can spend way more on an elaborate setting with pavè and side stones. Tell us more... And most importantly go out and see more!

The difference between SI1 and I1 is hugely important. If that's a mere typo or a miscommunication in what you told us because of the arcane language we diamond people use, I understand, but if the jeweler SAID it's an SI-1 during the sales presentation and then what you pulled up on the IGI site when you went there to confirm it was I-1, that's an enormous problem.

Davidelevi and Denverappraiser thanks for your replies. Let me apologise for the slow responses but for some reason my Galaxy s4 won't allow me to log on even though I enter the username and password so I have very restricted access with the Lady around.

The clarity was my mistake.

Since Davidelevi's reply I have been using the diamond finder and agree that purchases in there could provide better quality for my monies so I Thankyou for this direction but there a larger number things for me to consider but at the same time learn. Hidden charges like import tax or VAT concern me because I just haven't been able to look into it yet. I have been googling the table 56% and depth 61% to be ideal for a round diamond, please correct me if I'm wrong. I am now only looking for GIA certifications too. My concern is finding someone to fit the diamond to the setting. The settings I will be looking at this week so any hints would be appreciated.

Below is example of what I have found and opinions would be appreciated

You cant only look at depth and table there is way more to fire and life in diamonds than that. You need to look at things that David Atlas and the AGA recommend: 

http://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-grading-chart-round/

Depth, Table and Dimensions is what the GIA is taking into account when giving their cut grade on diamonds.

At http://enchanteddiamonds.com we take those factors + way more into account when giving a diamond a cut grade, you can actually get our cut grade on any diamond: 

http://enchanteddiamonds.com/cut_score_calculator/

Also as a DiamondReview user, Id be happy to set the diamond in the ring free of charge. I can give you a shipping label thats insured, to get the diamond to us, I think the shipping comes to $75 depending on the insurance amount on the ring. After we mount the diamond we will ship it back without any shipping charges.

Joshua

Edited by Joshua Niamehr

Depth, Table and Dimensions is what the GIA is taking into account when giving their cut grade on diamonds.

That’s not actually correct.  The GIA formula uses the following variables:

Table size

Crown and Pavilion angles

Star and lower girdle percentages.

Girdle average, minimum, and maximum

Culet size

Polish

Symmetry

Painting & digging

They interact in some slightly complicated ways so it works a bit differently than Atlas' system but they let you play with it, at least a bit. 

http://www.gia.edu/facetware?login

• Like 1

That’s not actually correct.  The GIA formula uses the following variables:

Table size

Crown and Pavilion angles

Star and lower girdle percentages.

Girdle average, minimum, and maximum

Culet size

Polish

Symmetry

Painting & digging

They interact in some slightly complicated ways so it works a bit differently than Atlas' system but they let you play with it, at least a bit. 

http://www.gia.edu/facetware?login

When I played with this it seemed that depth, table and dimensions had the largest impact. 

I took a trip to Hatton Gardens last week and will have some GIA reports sent to me by Tuesday which I will post for your thoughts. I saw so many that the differences merged into a blur but I did enjoy it, espically holding a naked diamond for the first time. However through this week I am hoping that I will be making my purchase but in doing so it seems to be recommended to have the diamond valuated by an independant but if its GIA certified and the lazar inscription matches the cert number is there a value to this? Being in the UK who are the recognised valuers for London? My google searches havent provided me with much confidence.

The value may well be more in checking that the diamond has not been damaged during setting and that the setting itself is of good quality, but I wouldn't discount an independent expert's opinion unless you trust the vendor. I no longer know people in London, but the Birmingham Assay Office used to offer an appraisal and valuation service that had a reasonable reputation a few years ago.

As I have posted in other threads about a particular stone that I am waiting to see but I still have a conflict with the first diamond I saw, the Tolkowsky. I had another look and the colour and sparkle are the best that I have seen so far. I have tried various lights and this still impresses. The problem is I travelled to Hatton Gardens last week and looked at many stones (only GIA) only to be impressed but doubting that I saw any competitor to the Tolkowsky, many different shops with many different lights. So am I missing something when I look at the quality of cut etc and should I be paying more attention to the measurements? I have seen what appear to be great cccc's with and specs on two different diamonds and both have very different prices from the same seller. Is this where the colour and sparle differences are found? So is the drive to get great specs the mistake that I am making?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and never buy a diamond unless its seen first but with so many amazing diamonds available why should be so worried? Obviously the cost.

Better hold some cash back to repair the wall that I have been banging my head against.

Thanks to the team for answering the questions and supporting me it has all helped.

Not sure I understand your question. Colour has nothing to do with sparkle - at least until you get into fancy deep/fancy dark territory, and at the end of the day what matters is what you (your intended recipient) like, not what is written on a report. Once you have done your homework in terms of weeding out obvious duds and - as important - glamorous lighting from sellers, buy what you like and what you can afford.