Purchasing Online Statistic Comparison Recommendations

tc.tap99

Hey all, 

I'm going to be purchasing a loose diamond online (I already purchased the setting in a brick and mortar store), and was wondering if y'all had any recommendations to choose between a few diamonds that I have found through various websites. From what I have read, these are all reputable websites. All of the diamonds listed below are GIA certified. I am looking for a round, .88ct+, Very Good/Excellent Cut, D-H Color, IF-VS2 Clarity stone for $4000 or less. 

All of the below diamonds are in this order:

Carat, Cut, Color, Clarity, Polish, Symmetry, Price

1. .90ct, Very Good, F, VS2, Excellent, Very Good, $3991

2. .91ct, Very Good, G, VS2, Very Good, Very Good, $3962

3. .89ct, Excellent, G, VS2, Excellent, Excellent, $3853

4. .90ct, Very Good, H, VS1, Excellent, Very Good, $3966

5. .90ct, Very Good, H, VS1, Excellent, Excellent, $3885

6. .91ct, Very Good, G, VS2, Very Good, Very Good, $4034

7. .93ct, Very Good, H, VS1, Excellent, Very Good, $3886

Let me know what y'all think is the best option. They are all within $200 of each other, so don't factor price into your decision, as the difference is close to negligible. Thanks for your help!

There’s not a lot to go on here but your specs are pretty broad.  In the database there are 39 stones that meet it.  How did you pick those 7?

Can I assume you're ok with fluorescence (I am, but not everyone is, and it does affect the price)?  Can I also assume you're fishing for the bottom of the bottom in terms of price for those specs (If you remove the price limitation the selection but still lock it to 0.88-0.95/H/VS2, it goes from 39 to 182 stones here)?   That's ok, but do be aware that there are some tradeoffs for doing that.  There are quality details that aren't visible from the certs and those issues are the reason a stone will be in the bottom 10% pricewise.  Make sure to talk to your seller about what other issues are present and make sure you have a return ability if you decide you don't like it. 

Edited by denverappraiser

Neil, 

Okay, I didn't see the advanced filter function on the database, so I was a little bit confused, but I think I've got a better idea now. In order to filter the results down further, I would probably increase cut from very good to excellent. Both my girlfriend and myself aren't diamond experts, and I doubt that we would notice the difference between, say a G to an E color as much as we would notice the increased sparkle & intensity from a Very Good to Excellent cut. From what we have seen together in B&M locations, she prefers something with more sparkle over color anyway. 

With that, I think these two are going to be the closest to my ideal choice.

1. .89ct, Excellent Cut, G, VS2, Excellent Polish, Excellent Symmetry, Strong Blue Fluorescence $3853 (from another site not on the database)

2. .89ct, Excellent Cut, G, VS1, Very Good Polish, Very Good Symmetry, Very Strong Blue Flourescence $3940

Which of these do you think is the better deal? I've seen mixed viewpoints on the impact of flourescence, do you think the strong/very strong will affect the diamond quality too much? I'd prefer to keep it around $4000 and increase the quality. The standards I had listed earlier was the minimum I was looking for. 

Thanks for your help

-TC

Edited by tc.tap99

There's a small group of Strong Blues that exhibit a cloudy appearance in high UV environments.  For most people that's limited to direct sunlight, the disco and the tanning salon.   It's easy enough to test.  Take it out in the sun, or have your seller do it before even shipping it, and ask if it has a problem.  For those that do it's quite obvious.  Ask. 

Fluoro makes stones harder to sell.  That's why they're cheaper, but if you ever find yourself selling it's going to bite you.  Selling is a problem in this business anyway and most bridal customers aren't really worrying about it but it's worth bearing in mind that it's an issue.  

The tradeoff in those two is xxx against VS1.  Personally, I'd do xxx given that choice.  

Hey all, 

I'm going to be purchasing a loose diamond online (I already purchased the setting in a brick and mortar store), and was wondering if y'all had any recommendations to choose between a few diamonds that I have found through various websites. From what I have read, these are all reputable websites. All of the diamonds listed below are GIA certified. I am looking for a round, .88ct+, Very Good/Excellent Cut, D-H Color, IF-VS2 Clarity stone for $4000 or less. 

All of the below diamonds are in this order:

Carat, Cut, Color, Clarity, Polish, Symmetry, Price

1. .90ct, Very Good, F, VS2, Excellent, Very Good, $3991

2. .91ct, Very Good, G, VS2, Very Good, Very Good, $3962

3. .89ct, Excellent, G, VS2, Excellent, Excellent, $3853

4. .90ct, Very Good, H, VS1, Excellent, Very Good, $3966

5. .90ct, Very Good, H, VS1, Excellent, Excellent, $3885

6. .91ct, Very Good, G, VS2, Very Good, Very Good, $4034

7. .93ct, Very Good, H, VS1, Excellent, Very Good, $3886

Let me know what y'all think is the best option. They are all within $200 of each other, so don't factor price into your decision, as the difference is close to negligible. Thanks for your help!

I highly recommend taking the Enchanted Diamonds Cut Score Calculator out for a spin.

Take the cert numbers and enter them here: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/cut_score_calculator

That will allow you to get our take on the light performance of the diamonds. 

Warmest,

Joshua Niamehr

EnchantedDiamonds.com

CEO/Co-Founder

Neil, 

Thank you for the advice, it really helped me narrow down my choices. I ended up going with the xxx over the VS1. I'll post a photo once it is received. 

Joshua, 

I appreciate the link, I compared that to another cut grading system, and both concluded that the xxx was superior to the VS1 in that sense. Thank you. 

Best, 

-TC

• Like 1

Awesome tc.tapp99. It sounds like you got a beautiful diamond.

Adding to what Neil said, we regard blue fluorescence as one of the biggest misnomers in the industry. Having sold thousands of stones with varying levels of fluorescence, we have yet to experience a single stone that exhibits the cloudiness or milkiness that so many experts refer to.

Under a UV or black light sure you'll see blue. In a nightclub or in a disco, sure, her ring will have a really cool blue glow to it. 

In natural sunlight? We've yet to experience a exhibit cloudiness or milkiness solely from blue fluorescence. More likely, the cloudiness and milkiness is caused by internal clarity characteristics. 

tc.tap99, you certainly picked a well cut diamond, I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt, and round it up to 100!

Jonathan, 

Thanks for the input! That's what I had read in a few places, that fluorescence is not nearly as big of a deal as some make it out to be. Plus, since 99% of how others and her (most importantly) are going to be seeing the diamond, i doubt that it will pose any problem. 

As to internal clarity characteristics, the GIA report states crystal & cloud to justify the VS2 clarity rating, so hopefully it should be nothing too bad. 

Thanks for all of the help from everyone! I'll post back once everything is received, put together and she (hopefully) says yes!

-TC

• 2 weeks later...