Egl Int. Vs. Gia

AYG2014

Hi,

I know this is probably an age old questions, but please bare with me as I am new to diamond and is in the market for an engagement ring  :)

I have narrowed down to 2 options. The GIA has colour/clarity gradings one step down from the EGL Int. I've read that EGL is more lenient, so they are roughly even.

The EGL is $5k less than the GIA, which makes it very tempting.

Personally, I couldn't tell much difference. The jewelry lady commented that that the EGL is slightly whiter and the GIA sparkled better.

My issues with the EGL:

- The jewelry lady mentioned there is a very small black inclusion in the EGL. She said certification stated there is crystal inclusions.

- I've also had trouble looking up the EGL Plantium certificates online, which concerns me a little.

I would like to get an opinion from more experience members here.

Also what are some of the other information I should request before making the purchase?

Thanks.

A

Search the forum for EGL and you'll find a wealth of threads on this topic. My comments below are just picking on specific points, rather than the whole issue.

I have narrowed down to 2 options. The GIA has colour/clarity gradings one step down from the EGL Int. I've read that EGL is more lenient, so they are roughly even.

Totally wrong assumption. Here is a diamond that was graded H by EGL-I, and N by GIA: http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/9671-egl/#entry49323 however, the clarity grade was the same. I have seen stones for which EGL was out 3 grades on clarity, but GIA agreed on the colour. On average, 2 grades out might even be correct, but it is totally irrelevant to you as a buyer of a specific stone.

The EGL is $5k less than the GIA, which makes it very tempting.

Uhm. Reality check time. Diamonds are priced according to their actual, physical colour, clarity, cut and weight characteristics. A lab report is a shortcut to these (and if authoritative, such as GIA, it may even stand against some "borderline" call: is it SI1 or VS2? If GIA calls it SI1...).

A GIA report on a stone below 3 carats is less than $200. EGL is a bit less, but not free. If the two stones were truly comparable in terms of their objective, physical characteristics, and the only difference is the report, why on Earth would a vendor leave $5000 on the table for the sake of $200 or less, and trade it with an EGL report?

Of course the answer is that they are not at all the same, or even close, just like putting a Rolls-Royce badge on a Toyota does not make the Toyota any better (or worse). Whether it matters, is a different question.

Personally, I couldn't tell much difference. The jewelry lady commented that that the EGL is slightly whiter and the GIA sparkled better.

This is why it may not matter. What she said is not relevant; what you could and could not see is highly relevant. The really big issue is how you can determine that you are paying a fair price when you don't know colour, clarity or much else about the stone other than weight.

My issues with the EGL:

- The jewelry lady mentioned there is a very small black inclusion in the EGL. She said certification stated there is crystal inclusions.

- I've also had trouble looking up the EGL Plantium certificates online, which concerns me a little.

Crystals are a fact of life in many diamonds. They (usually) don't pose any problems in terms of durability; what matters is whether you can see them and in which circumstances. Go back (if you still want to) and take a second look, with and without a loupe, and see if you can spot them.

Searching for an EGL report online is frustrating and not guaranteed to return results. Does the vendor have an original report to show you? Or just a copy? Will she get you the original? When? What if the original does not turn up?

Also what are some of the other information I should request before making the purchase?

You haven't told us a lot about what you are looking for (or even looking AT), so it's difficult to answer. Two biggies:

1. If I decide to buy, how long do I have to return the stone and get ALL of my money back (less possibly credit card fees and/or shipping costs)?

2. Assuming the answer to question one is a number of days greater than zero, for which reason will they accept returns? Is "I changed my mind" one of them?

Edited by davidelevi

You’ve already concluded that EGL grading is not reliable.  You said so yourself.  So quit trying to rely on it.

The jewelry lady says it’s whiter and sparkly.  OK, now you’re relying on the jewelry lady, not EGL.  That’s ok but we know nothing at all about her and that’s now a different assessment.  It’s not about EGL, or even about diamonds.  It’s about HER.  Do you trust her to grade and report accurately?  I point out that from your comments it looks like she’s grading the report, not the diamond.  If so, that would be a problem no matter how skilled she is.  Garbage in = garbage out.

You can’t tell the difference.  OK, now we’re relying on your own grading skills.  Again, I have no clue if this is useful information or not.  It’s certainly not conceptually a problem.  Are you prepared to grade a stone, do you have the tools and environment and, assuming so, did you grade it?

Edited by denverappraiser

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the comprehensive replies.

I have obtained the certificate reports for both diamonds. See below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0d0vzr3bqcp9s7/6157679993.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkuouvznnoq7nni/2352076328.jpg?dl=0

I understand that the value of the diamond and its price is really in the eyes of the beholder. I guess I just wanted some expert opinion on whether or not these 2 are reasonable deals? And given your expert opinion, which would be better value for money?

Thanks,

A

I understand that the value of the diamond and its price is really in the eyes of the beholder.

No-one said that. "Value" (at least according to some definition) may well be in the eye of the beholder. Price definitely isn't, and it depends on weight, clarity, colour, cut and a few other factors. The problem Neil and I are trying to get you to see is that you know very little about the EGL diamond on those respects. In fact, I'd hazard that the only reliable indication you have is that it weighs 1.78 carats.

I guess I just wanted some expert opinion on whether or not these 2 are reasonable deals?

"Reasonable deal" includes an opinion on price. You haven't told us the prices, and anyway estimating a fair price for the EGL-graded stone is quite uncertain without seeing it.

On paper, I see no reason to like the EGL stone from any gemmological point of view, but it is cheaper.

And given your expert opinion, which would be better value for money?

See above. Let me be blunt: I would not buy an EGL-graded 1.80 stone for over $5k unless I really trusted the dealer. I would not trust a dealer that told me to rely (or that relies) on an EGL grade.