Curious About Cushion Diamond Color And Yellow Gold Setting

JohnnyFive

Hello all, first post here!

I'm in the process of buying an engagement ring and as of now am considering a Cushion cut with a yellow gold setting.

I've been reading around and some website seem to agree that it's a good idea to buy a J, K type of color cushion diamond because they retain their color more than most fancy cuts.

Here's my "issue", I've been looking at a current .5 carat cushion cut and it has a G color.  Visually (from online) I like what I see but I'm concerned...  Is this overkill on the stone?  Is it going to "absorb" the yellow gold from the setting making the stone seem more yellow and in a sense making this near colorless stone a "waste"?  The setting also seems to have a little gold nestling on the side of the stone in addition to the 4 prongs.  Take a look at the image. Here's the link to the setting...

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-inspired-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41558

Comments are appreciated from more experienced people than myself.  I really have no clue what to expect in this circumstance.

*BTW, I plan to make another post soon with some ASET images JA is going to send me regarding some cushion cuts.  I'd appreciate some insight on those too later on when I post again.

Thanks pros! :)

I've been reading around and some website seem to agree that it's a good idea to buy a J, K type of color cushion diamond because they retain their color more than most fancy cuts.

What do you mean "retain colour"? There's a zillion ways of cutting a cushion, and the amount of colour shown face up will vary considerably depending on that. You may get a J or a K to seem quite white face up, but it will depend on how they are cut, what the setting looks like and the environment you are in.

Here's my "issue", I've been looking at a current .5 carat cushion cut and it has a G color.  Visually (from online) I like what I see but I'm concerned...  Is this overkill on the stone?  Is it going to "absorb" the yellow gold from the setting making the stone seem more yellow and in a sense making this near colorless stone a "waste"?

It depends a lot on how the setting is built, but in general yes, it will pick up a bit of colour. On the other hand, yellow gold is so yellow that there will be a lot of contrast and the stone will look very white. And different from a J or a K the same setting. Whether that's a "waste", only you can determine.

I would advise you to go out and look at diamonds, be they G or K, and decide for yourself what you can and cannot see in terms of colour, cut and size. Then - and only then - start asking for ASET images; JA are quite accommodating with extra photos, but they will not take an infinite number of them, and you should get your ducks in a row before pulling that particular trigger.

Hello Davide, thank you for responding to my inquiry!

You answered my question in terms of retaining the color...I suppose what I was talking about was how much yellow tint the stone would have because it is a J/K/L, etc. type of stone.  I didn't know you could cut a J stone, for example, and have it quite white.

I'm not 100% worried about the setting and the stone picking up some of the color.  I've been to a few stores and seen some cushion cuts and personally I don't see too much "color transfer".  I was asking because that's my eyes seeing it, and I think the best one I saw was an H cut in a store (since at the time I wasn't specifically asking for cushion cuts to view).

I like what you said about the contrast in the stone and setting, good point!

Lastly, the trigger has already been pulled.  I'll probably have the ASET images by Monday or Tuesday.  I suppose I was a bit hasty but I had done my research on different cuts within the cushion itself and deemed it worthwhile to get some images.  I'm really hoping the stone I'm looking at turns out like I want it to. 

Hmm...I guess in the end if I do buy that G cushion diamond (after I check out the ASET) I mentioned I didn't break the bank if I had bought a J or K instead.

Thanks again for answering!