Should I Buy This Stone ? 1.9 Ct I Si

ayushkhatri

HI,

Ive looked at sooo many round stones in the 1.7 - 2 ct g/H VS2/SI1 range and I think I finally found something great. Would love some advice from experts here.

1.9 CT I SI1 ROUND GIA CERT
triple EX , faint flourescence. 

HCA SCORE : 1.5 - LIGHT RETURN AND FIRE - EXCELLENT , SCINTILLATION AND SPREAD - VERY GOOD

CLARITY CHART ATTACHED FROM GIA REPORT

PRICE WITH SETTING : $14,500

Measurements : 7.94 - 7.95 x 4.91 mm

PROPORTIONS

Depth 61.8 %
Table 57 %
Crown Angle 34.0°
Crown Height 14.5%
Pavilion Angle 41.0°
Pavilion Depth 43.5%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
Culet None

Clarity Characteristics Crystal, Feather, Cavity, Indented Natural, Natural, Extra Facet

THE STONE IN NATURAL LIGHT HAD A BRILLIANT FIRE TO IT . UNDER THE LOUPE, THERE IS A CRYSTAL AS CAN BE SEEN IN THE CLARITY CHART , And THE TINIEST BLACK SPECK INCLUSION OFF THE TABLE....ON THE SIDE. 

100% eye clean. 

THOUGHTS???

post-134503-0-50228000-1410650555_thumb.png

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes the setting is the one I want....thin band with side stones half way. 

I dont mind an I color because it didnt look yellow (maybe coz of flourescence?) It was really nice under natural light (took the stone outside the shop) ...I compared it with an H VS2 stone as well so color wasnt noticeable....by going to an I i am able to get a 1.9 ct stone vs a 1.75-1.8 H VS2 / SI 1 stone

What do you think of the price ? ? I m not sure wha the RAP price is and if im getting a good deal.....

Also, how bad is the tiny black inclusion off the table ? and the transparent crystal on the table ? 

Just need your expert opinion. 

Thank u so much

I certainly have no problem with I colors and the fluorescence will have no effect.  Pricing is tricky because it's a combination of a stone, a mounting and some labor.  The stone itself is easy enough to shop though, and surely you've already done this.  There's a database at the top of the page called 'diamond finder' with dozens of comparable stones.   I take it you've seen the stone, which is a terrific place to start.  The database includes and ad for what I suspect is that very stone for $14673 without a mounting. 

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD04703906?click_id=334016887

Edited by denverappraiser

Holy crap. This is the EXACT same stone....!!! same GIA number and everything. So I was originally quoted 14,600 for the stone only and then 15200 with the setting but i negotiated (clearly not enough now I think) and got it to 14,500 with the setting included that I need. 

Now, I did see the stone...it was nice...the black tiny inclusion and cyrstal on the table were fine but is it bad to have that tiny black inclusion? Anymore thoughts? 

What would something like this appraise for ? 

Should I get it from Bluenile then since they have an upgrade program where you dont lose value on the original diamond as long as ur upgraded stone is twice the price so approx 30k later on in life. 

I’m not all that enamored with upgrade programs.
The problem is in the fine print.  BN’s is decent enough but that doubling thing can get pretty grim.  Rather few people actually do it and after a certain amount of time, say 10 years, the appreciation of the stone often overtakes the trade-in value even with the haircut you take on resale. 

For example:
Buy a stone for $10,000 from a decently priced vendor.  Sell it now for $6000.  Ouch.
Wait 10 years and that same stone will cost you $16,000.  You’ll get $10k as a private seller.  (I’m making these numbers up by the way).  That means you’ll do just as well by selling it yourself and you’re not locked into where you buy the upgrade or into what you have to get.  If you wait 20 years you actually take a loss.  

Assuming your ring plus the labor is worth $1000 or so, your local guy is quite a bit cheaper.  It’s also worth noting that BN is obviously trying to something they don’t actually have. That's ok, that's what they do, but whether or not they can get it depends on the blessing and cooperation of your jeweler.

'Appraisal value' is irrelevant to this discussion.  That has to do with insurance and what it would cost to replicate the ring.  I'm not going to give a value on a ring I haven't seen anyway but it's a mistake to use replacement value as a metric for what is and is not a good deal anyway. 

wow you're good and so helpful!! thank you so much. Do you think I should get it if I can get him down to 14k? 

Will an I SI1 's (or this particular stone to be specific) value also increase over time since its not v rare perhaps ? 

Lastly, what about the tiny black inclusion ? 

Someone also told me I should look at ASET images, pricescope, etc....what should I do in that case?

Or should I just go and get a 1.75-1.8 (7.7-7.8mm ) H VS2 stone for about $1500 more ? I am so confused but I really liked this stone in person.....compared it with a 1.8 I VS1 (7.7mm stone though so small) and both had the same sparkle and brilliance ...in fact the 1.9 was better. 

THANK U SO MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR BEING SO KIND IN YOUR RESPONSES AND EDUCATING ME. 

Price.  I would be surprised if he'll do it but it never hurts to ask.  Frankly I'm surprised he went as low as he did already.

Inclusion.  The reason it's SI1 instead of VS2, along with a VS2 price, is that inclusion.  I can't see it, and both you and the jeweler can.  The reason it's not SI2 is because it's not worse.  Sorry I can't give better advice but it really is a visual thing.

Future value.  That's a question for your psychic, not your appraiser.  For the past 200 years or so they've done decently with a couple of blips but, as they say, past performance is no guarantee of future results.   Do not go into this deal expecting to ever see your money again.  This is not a bank account. 

It may seem self serving but I normally recommend getting an outside appraisal from a professional anyway.  No matter where you get it.  That has to do with looking for damage, craftsmanship on the setting and answering random questions like your doing now.   Most good appraisers have an ASET scope but ask first when you set your appointment.

ASET.  If your jeweler can't do this, he really should look into it.  The cheapest tool costs $25 at www.ags.org.  They'll sell to anyone with a credit card.  'Images' are a bit tricky and involve some photography skills that aren't easy to come by but if you've got the stone in hand it's not necessary.  If you're in Denver, I'm pretty good at these pics but I wouldn't ship it if that's the only reason.   :D

I'm not seeing a shred of a reason why you should 'upgrade' to an H/VS2.  You love it, it's bigger, it's cheaper.  How cool is that?

• Like 1

Just saw the stone just now under natural light...its BEAUTIFUL! I think im going to get it .

He came down to 14k with the setting (so approx 13500 for the stone)

100 % eye clean and super white face up. im surprised it got an I color. more like an H

Didnt ask for ASET images or imagescope...should I still do this ?

The guy even said his upgrade policy is full value of the stone I paid in the future (minus the setting of course)...so if  I want a stone thats reasonably higher in price (3-5k ) tomorrow or next year or 5 years from now, I can do that.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about the ASET and a megascope scan will teach you nothing that's not already on the GIA.

Upgrade policies are all about the fine print but, as mentioned above, I don't count them as particularly useful anyway.  Ignoring that, this seems like a fine deal anyway.   Buy it, get it checked out by an independent for quality and documentation purposes, and be happy.

While you're at it, start a new thread with his name in the title and tell your story.  It sounds like a fine jeweler and this will help his advertising.  

• Like 1

That's not what I or GIA calls a pit but that's more of a semantic issue.  In any case, no I don't agree that it's a particularly undesirable inclusion to have in an SI1.  Put another way, an SI1, by definition, is going to have something in it.   That's why it's SI1 and why it costs like an SI1.  Part of the shopping process is to decide what you will and won't accept.   Overall pits are just fine.