Which Should I Pick?

wmo333

Hi All, 

I am a new member and would like to get some advice on the diamond I should get:

If given 3 choices: 

1.     3.22 F VS1 Strong blue fluorescence 

2.     3.23 E VS2 Mid blue fluorescence

3.     3.26 F VS1 Very strong fluorescence (they claim no milky look)

Which would should I pick? I am purchasing from a large online brand so I can not see the stones in person.

Thank you all in advance for suggestions!!

Regards,

Wendy

Who knows?

1) Who is grading the stones with those colours and clarities? Are those grades comparable?

2) How well are they cut?

3) What are your preferences in terms of balance between brightness, contrast, fire? What about symmetry of pattern?

4) You will not see any difference between E and F once the stone is set, and you are unlikely to see any difference between VS1 and VS2 without a loupe. Which brings us back to questions 2 and 3 above.

• Like 1

Thanks for quick response! Please see my answers below:

1) all 3 stones are graded by GIA

2) all 3 have excellent cut

3) all 3 have triple excellent rating. I love fire more than brightness in E and F color range.

4) please see answers in 1) and 2)

Many thanks!!

Who knows?

1) Who is grading the stones with those colours and clarities? Are those grades comparable?

2) How well are they cut?

3) What are your preferences in terms of balance between brightness, contrast, fire? What about symmetry of pattern?

4) You will not see any difference between E and F once the stone is set, and you are unlikely to see any difference between VS1 and VS2 without a loupe. Which brings us back to questions 2 and 3 above.

There is no reason to "fear" fluorescence as long as you trust the vendor that there is no milkiness/opacity. Some relevant info and photos: http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/9246-curious-about-diamonds-in-general/#entry46241

The issue in terms of your preferences is that "GIA Excellent" covers a multitude of different appearances. Do you have the GIA report numbers (or can you link the vendors's copy of the reports)? Although it's not a completely accurate prediction, seeing proportion data can help us (and you) make an informed guess on which diamond is more likely to display strong fire...

Edited by davidelevi

There is no reason to "fear" fluorescence as long as you trust the vendor that there is no milkiness/opacity. Some relevant info and photos: http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/9246-curious-about-diamonds-in-general/#entry46241

The issue in terms of your preferences is that "GIA Excellent" covers a multitude of different appearances. Do you have the GIA report numbers (or can you link the vendors's copy of the reports)? Although it's not a completely accurate prediction, seeing proportion data can help us (and you) make an informed guess on which diamond is more likely to display strong fire...

Thank you!!

Please see the GIA #s below:

1) 3.22 GIA #: 6171163924

2) 3.23 GIA #: 5161337646

3) 3.26 GIA #: 6157196237

Thanks so much!!

My bet would be on the 3.23... with one additional proviso: that the crystals right under the table don't bother you visually. They are unlikely to be visible without a loupe, but they may just be - particularly from the side if you are planning to set the stone in a relatively open setting.

Any decent vendor will offer you a return period of a few weeks in which you can inspect and if necessary return the stone; if you don't want to run the risk, go for one of the VS1 (and I'd place the 3.22 first, but a fair length behind the 3,23 purely in terms of proportions on paper).

Thanks soon much for the insights! ! I prefer the 3.23 one as well. You reminded me about the clarity issue. I will ask the vendor for verification and ask about the return policy.

I also read the post you forwarded about the fluorescence issue. Very helpful as well. Really appreciate your time and guidance Neil! I will post a picture once it is ready =)

My bet would be on the 3.23... with one additional proviso: that the crystals right under the table don't bother you visually. They are unlikely to be visible without a loupe, but they may just be - particularly from the side if you are planning to set the stone in a relatively open setting.

Any decent vendor will offer you a return period of a few weeks in which you can inspect and if necessary return the stone; if you don't want to run the risk, go for one of the VS1 (and I'd place the 3.22 first, but a fair length behind the 3,23 purely in terms of proportions on paper).