Please Help With Diamond/ Report

Manny33

"Good" is in the eye of the beholder - and to some extent of his wallet. If you really don't know what to get, a stone over $10k is not a good place to start, IMHO.

Have you seen the diamond? Have you compared it to others? Does it come on top for looks? What about price? How far is it from comparables from relatively aggressive online dealers? Here's over 100 that are graded similarly - and the differences in price (between $18k and just under $10k) are largely determined by how visible the inclusions are and the details of cut:

http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=1.50&fCaratHi=1.60&fColorLo=H&fColorHi=H&fClarityLo=SI1&fClarityHi=SI1&fCutLo=vgood&fCutHi=vgood&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=none&fFlrHi=faint&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000&fLabGIA=1&fLabAGS=1

On paper - and we have only the GIA report to go by - it's slightly oddly cut: the basic proportions (angles) are good, but the wavy girdle and "good" symmetry grade need looking into. These two are what is preventing the stone from being graded "excellent" cut by GIA, BTW.

Thank you. Well I am not sure if its worth it. From the naked eye it looks like a nice diamond. My jewler told me the price of the stone is 13,500. The band I was looking at weighs 1.07ct. Platnium. A total price of $15,000. Should I look for another diamond? What should I look for in a diamond as far as flaws.

The price is ok but not fabulous, for reasons that Davide mentioned above. $1,500 for a platinum band with 1.07ct in additional diamonds is pretty typical, cheap even, but the issue is the craftsmanship on the piece. Tiny details matter. There's no way to get a feel without actually looking at it.

Play with the database attached to the 'diamond finder' link at the top of the page.  1.51-1.59/H/SI1/GIA has 450 offers and all but about 50 of them are cheaper than that.  Most by a fair amount.  That said, those are all online deals and there's a certain amount of pain with the process.  Not everyone is comfortable with it and lots of people prefer to shop locally and are willing to pay a little extra do to it.  That's up to you.  The tricky part with this particular stone is in the 'good' symmetry.  In the Internet world that's a problem and it definitely drives the price down.  Whether or not it's worth it is up to you but there's a thousand or three in possible savings if you want to go through the process of sourcing your own. 

Edited by denverappraiser