Bait And Switch?

kowoj

I recently purchased a ring from a well known jewelery shop. It contained a diamond with the following details:

Measurements: 4.35 x 4.30 x 2.60mm

Clarity: SI-2

Color: K

However, upin purchasing it they discovered that one of the small decorative diamonds in it was missing. They shipped me a new ring instead. However, the new ring had the following diamond:

Measurements: 4.27x4.25x2.61mm

Clarity: I-1

Color: H

Have I been ripped off or is this a comparable diamond?

It's not a "comparable" unless you accept it as one.

First, who provides the grading report -- GIA or someone else?

Second, how much is this ring costing you?  You can find what each of the main stones should cost (within a range) using the diamond finder here.

Third, for them to replace the entire ring because one pave/melee stone fell out is very suspicious.  Doesn't seem like they value you as a customer, honestly, because replacing a 1-5 point diamond chip should cost at most $15-75.  For them to pull something else out of stock means they don't have any metal workers, or they're downgrading you.

Fourth -- if a stone falls out so easily, I'd be very suspicious about the rest of the workmanship.  This isn't like the crap you buy at Toys'R'Us for a Christmas morning, where you're lucky if half the toys are still operational by evening.