Cartier Destinée Solitaire Vs Tiffany Soleste® Cushion (Yellow Diamond)

darrvao777

Hi guys, would love to get your advice on a decision I’ve been having trouble making. Trying to surprise my girlfriend with an engagement ring and I’ve narrowed it down to these two but just cannot seem to pull the trigger on one over the other.

Would appreciate it if anyone could give me some insight that could tip me one way over the other (short of actually showing the rings to my GF and asking her)

Couple of items about us:

Ring size = 5.25

Budget = 20 – 60K

I think she would like the style of both rings. I had a chance to chat with her friends and it seems like she would favor a ring with a thinner band, with diamonds, and pave (I think that’s what it’s called?) diamonds surrounding a central stone

Really appreciate any advice you can give us, thanks!!

I think the biggest question here is whether she'd be happy with a yellow diamond. Women can be surprisingly conservative.

Other than that, you won't have an issue with quality of either materials, manufacturing or service in either place, so it really does boil down to which one you (she) prefer(s). Be careful with too thin a band for an engagement ring; they do get worn and (ab)used quite a lot.

Is there a way in which you can test if not the rings at least the main ideas, and particularly the issue with the colour centre?

• Like 1

I think the biggest question here is whether she'd be happy with a yellow diamond. Women can be surprisingly conservative.

Other than that, you won't have an issue with quality of either materials, manufacturing or service in either place, so it really does boil down to which one you (she) prefer(s). Be careful with too thin a band for an engagement ring; they do get worn and (ab)used quite a lot.

Is there a way in which you can test if not the rings at least the main ideas, and particularly the issue with the colour centre?

Thanks for the feedback! I've had her friends ask her (hopefully without giving away too much) about the colour centre and she seems to be OK with both colors, no strong preference towards either one

I've seen both rings in person at stores. In terms of the look, I'm definitely leaning towards the Tiffany Soleste Yellow Diamond but I keep hearing how Cartier offers a more classic product

There are two different approaches you can take.  The first that you have chosen is to rely on brand names to make many of the decisions for you.

The latter path involves selecting the diamond first and building the ring around it later.  For example, at the top end of your budget you're looking at (for example) an E-color VS1 2.5 carat stone with top-grade cut from one of the three premium online vendors, which you can see from the Diamond Finder.  There is plenty of help on this board in making your best selection.

Although the Cartier or Tiffany names on your ring will be impressive, it comes down largely to how you value your money and your time.  Do you like to tinker? Are you interested in what's inside?  Then don't let the brand make most of the choices for you.  With a budget of $20K to 60K, what might you do with the "saved" 40K that wouldn't be realistically obtainable if you instead went heavy on the engagement ring?  Would your intended future spouse be more satisfied with the bling, or your sense of prudence?

Finally, perhaps the very first question you should ask yourself is -- do you want to do this (make this decision) alone, or with her?  Seems like about half the guys like the "pop the question" surprise approach, and half like to shop together with their future spouse on a decision like this.  I don't know which is better.  Both times I've gone through this, I've adopted the "shared" approach, and so far, I've been right 50% of the time. :)